1 2
RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
4/29/21 10:29 a.m.

Unknown year, unknown miles. Just got new rockers, getting all new fluids, brake lines, pads n rotors, and some little E36 M3 taken care of first.

4wd, automatic, leather, aftermarket head unit, barn doors on the back.

What I do know:

5.4 gas engine

Pennsylvania rust free

Friend of a friend owned it the better part of the last decade. My friend who is selling it ran a garage, his friend who owned it ran a body shop out of the same place, so its history is trustworthy.

Going to need tires before winter.

Manual locking hubs.

So, same Ford 5.4 "your spark plugs will blow out" issues? 

Any gotchas with suspension parts or the 4wd system?

How hard is it to find cheap 8x170 pattern wheels? I may want a winter and summer set

It is basically an f250 with an SUV shell, isn't it?

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/29/21 10:35 a.m.

Yes, it's an F250 in a box.  Which means that with the 5.4, it's gonna be a bit on the slow side.  IIRC, spark plug issues were different on 2V vs 3V 5.4s.  And the 3V version makes more power, but has cam phaser issues. 

wae
wae UberDork
4/29/21 10:57 a.m.

They're great trucks - I love mine.  I don't know much about the 5.4 as it applies to the Ex - mine is the v10 and my last 5.4 was in my E150.  If I remember correctly, though, the Excursion got the 2v 5.4 which is good and bad.  The good part is no cam phasers.  The bad part is that the early years were designed with only a few threads' worth of spark plug engagement.  If the plugs pop out, use the Timesert kit for a permanent repair.  If they haven't popped out, you want to make sure that they're torqued past the factory spec.  IIRC, factory spec is something like 16 or 18 ft-lbs but internet wisdom says to take them to about 26-30 and they'll never blow out.

Buy an extra coil and a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 7mm socket.  Put it in the glovebox.  You will have a COP module die eventually.  Make sure you have an ODB2 scanner that can read test $53 in order to see which cylinder is misfiring.  Forscan also works for that.  You can swap a coil out on the side of the road in about 10 minutes, so it's not a big deal as long as you've got one.  A lot of folks say only ever use Motorcraft/Denso but I've had good luck so far with NKG as well as whatever O'Reilley's brand is.  Masterpro?  I don't remember, but it's been about 10k miles and no problems so far.

It is mostly F250 from the B-pillar forward.  Heavy stuff, but pretty durable as a result and pretty easy to find parts.  Manual hubs could be replacement or they could just be the stock ESOF hubs that have been capped off.  The wheel seals leak and the vacuum pulse system stops working.  If you have anything other than defrost on the HVAC system, then the lines have been appropriately capped off, but the first sign of a vacuum leak is usually that the air will only blow out the "fail-safe" position of the dash defroster vents.

The door lock actuators can be a pain.  Don't buy the cheap ones from Rock Auto.

Steering can get wander-y as with most Ford trucks/vans of that era.  A Cardone rebuilt box will work, the Red Head boxes are said to be worth the squeeze.  Before you go that route, though, it's also common for the u-joints in the front axle to go out causing problems that seem like they're steering-related.  Replacing those u-joints is something I want to do on mine and is probably a good time for me to also go ahead and replace the vacuum seals on my wheels and get my ESOF working again.

Tires are just stupid for these.  Mine came with some A/T tires and while I guess they looked....  well, they looked like someone who liked the looks of A/T tires on a truck would like the look.  But holy hell are they droney and noisy.  I replaced them a couple months ago with a highway rib tire from Bridgestone for just under a grand and it is sooooo much quieter and smoother.

Oh, your exhaust manifold studs will rust and break causing exhaust leaks.  It's a Ford thing.

Take the rear seat out, fold the middle row flat, and now you can quadruple the value of the vehicle by putting a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back.  Even with the rear seat up and occupied, the amount of cargo capacity in the rear is astounding.   I had the tile place scoot a skid of ceramic tile in the back of mine.  I was a bit overloaded, making the steering a little light, but otherwise it handled having the 2000+ pounds in the back without any real problems.

grover
grover Dork
4/29/21 11:44 a.m.

There's a kit for the spark plugs, it's well documented. It's going to be underpowered, but they are rising in value. Nothing on the road like it. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/29/21 12:09 p.m.

My 2006 F250 single cab w/ 5.4L and 2wd does seem slow.  It doesn't feel all that under powered, it just isn't a tire roasting speed machine.  The power is more than enough for general duty.  

FYI, unlike Suburbans, all Excursions are rear barn door or acutally a 3 piece dutch door set up... 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/29/21 12:13 p.m.

Other than the well know and documented spark plug stuff, really no concerns.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/29/21 12:13 p.m.
John Welsh said:

My 2006 F250 single cab w/ 5.4L and 2wd does seem slow.  It doesn't feel all that under powered, it just isn't a tire roasting speed machine.  The power is more than enough for general duty. 

05+ should have the 3V 5.4, so it's more power than the 2V an Excursion would have.  Plus, 05+ has the coil sprung front end, older stuff (including Excursions) will have the leaf spring front (which has a noticeably worse turning radius). 

wae
wae UberDork
4/29/21 12:21 p.m.

Oh yeah.  Turning radius.  Heh.  It seems like it should be measured in AUs sometimes.

Fun fact(s) about the rear barn doors:  The taillights and the barn door mechanism comes from the E-series.  The outer skin on those barn doors is fiberglass (or "composite").  They made storage pockets that would replace the inside panels of the barn doors but apparently the weight capacity for them was ludicrously low.  It was a pretty rare option/accessory - I've never seen any in person.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/29/21 12:30 p.m.

MPG will not be impressive.  On my truck, I rarely actually calculate the mpg.  Part of the reason is my truck has a 38 gallon tank and I don't bother to fill it all the way up considering that I infrequently use the truck.    I think Excusions hold 44 gal.  Expect 12 mpg.

wae
wae UberDork
4/29/21 12:36 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yep it's a 44 gallon tank.  I pay for our Costco membership in under half a year with the fuel savings in the Excursion alone!

I don't do a lot of long distance highway driving in mine.  Around town when I'm not towing I get pretty excited when I see that I've done 10.2mpg.  Usually it's closer to 9.6-9.8.  It's better on the highway, of course, but I usually counteract that by pulling a trailer.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
4/29/21 3:10 p.m.

I'm ok with the mileage hit. Including moving 20 miles away last year, so a E36 M3 load of back and forth trips, I still only put on 2500 miles from January 2020 to April 2021. 

Maybe it will be used more than the ranger because we all fit in it, but we all fit in the civic too. 

This is good info to hear. I assumed tank with typical Ford annoyances, and that sounds like what it is. 

Looking at tires, I'm torn between the Cooper discoverer at3 4s  and the firestone destination at/2. Something that will be good on and off road and decent in the snow, unless I find some cheap take offs somewhere, then it will definitely be highways and snows. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
4/29/21 3:17 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Those coopers are solid tires. I had them on my 4runner and had zero complaints.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/29/21 3:26 p.m.

I have read good things about the Falken AT3 tires.  I don't own them but I run Flalken brand on 3 different Prius and I have been very happy with them.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/29/21 3:40 p.m.

5.4...excursion? Good God that's gonna be slow. 

wae
wae UberDork
4/29/21 3:44 p.m.

I think the 5.4 rated originally at 260hp/350tq and the 6.8 is 310/425.  And taking out two cylinders doesn't save you that much weight....

But at about 7,300lbs, even with the 6.8, it ain't fast.

thashane
thashane New Reader
4/29/21 4:30 p.m.
RevRico said:

Looking at tires, I'm torn between the Cooper discoverer at3 4s  and the firestone destination at/2. Something that will be good on and off road and decent in the snow, unless I find some cheap take offs somewhere, then it will definitely be highways and snows. 

I am a fan of the BFG KO-2's. They are snowflake rated, dont have any of the bad manners of the BFG T/A's, and you can get them pretty cheap from Costco on coupon. I've been running them on my truck in 315/70/17s, which is the oem raptor tire. They dont have a ton of sipes, if you're main concern is ice, but do great in snow/sand, ok in mud. And you can't stud them, or atleast not the ones I bought 6 years ago.

I've always liked Cooper tires when I was younger. I had the firestone at/2s on a work truck. No complaints until I popped a sidewall on a small rock I knew I should've moved out of the way. BUT I've popped alot of firestone sidewalls. I had the HT's on a work truck, and popped literally 5 in two weeks. I'm pretty sure the HT stands for "horrible tire". I convinced the boss to let me switch to the les schwab ats, never popped one.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/29/21 10:28 p.m.

I have Ironman tires on my ridiculous tow pig and have no complaints.  I went with HT for the quiet since 4x4 seems to be enough to move out in anything short of waist deep snow.

https://www.ironmantires.com/

And these tires were WAY cheaper than anything else I found.

grover
grover Dork
4/29/21 11:22 p.m.

General Grabber HD's run great on super duty's and look great. I believe they are 10 ply as well. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
4/29/21 11:37 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Only vehicle I've owned in the last decade that didn't have a 0-60 of "yes" was the cop car. I'm good with slow, as long as it's functional.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/30/21 6:59 a.m.
RevRico said:

Only vehicle I've owned in the last decade that didn't have a 0-60 of "yes" was the cop car. I'm good with slow, as long as it's functional.

Unless you are bro-dozing, why does a truck need to be fast?

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
4/30/21 7:03 a.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

We have short on ramps and I live next to a highway interchange. Either need to be fast enough to get out of the way or big enough to be avoided. I prefer big enough to be avoided, speeding tickets are expensive.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/30/21 7:14 a.m.
RevRico said:
Mndsm said:

Duly noted. I've always wanted an excursion though, so you got me there. Bigger and badder!

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/1/21 9:26 a.m.

Update, I was wrong. It's a 2002 with the V10, 142k miles. 

I saw a gas gas cap and it wasn't covered in v10 badges like the trucks are so I assumed the v8

This means depending on gearing, 9600-11k tow rated. Also same garbage mileage, but maybe it'll get out of it's own way. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/1/21 9:29 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

$15k vehicle in this current market!

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/1/21 9:36 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

We're agreed on $6500 once he gets a couple days in his shop with it, and my money comes in. This is a berkeleying steal. 

I had been considering having something brought up from Florida or elsewhere rust free. It would have cost more money for a smaller vehicle in similar condition. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w5RO0ZVUUvc541ltmSOg1jMHvIXx9E6jDtLIqFE9hvRItanggs4OUIRL0n5qPUvS