Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltimaDork
7/3/19 4:00 p.m.

Looking at a old used speedaire compressor. 20 gallon, 220v, 2 cylinder.

What kind of reputation do these have?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/3/19 4:49 p.m.

Speedaire is a good brand.  Make sure the tank is in good condition with no rust.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/3/19 5:19 p.m.

Speedaire is a good brand, I inherited one that was used in a commercial setting for longer than I've been alive. It has a newer motor on it.  Not sure what else has been rebuilt.

I've had it for 5 years and it's been good enough that I still haven't wired up the brand new 60 gallon I bought literally 3 days before I found out about this one.  It's mounted on casters, which makes it louder, but it's awesome to be able to drag it into the driveway.

PMRacing
PMRacing SuperDork
7/4/19 8:02 a.m.

I have a 1990 60 gal. 220v speedaire with a Montgomery Ward motor on it. No idea where that combo was done but it works well. Mine is mounted on cut off Miata bump stops stuck inside the legs to cut down on the noise.

EDIT: Pics of install a few posts down here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/my-new-garage-build/131236/page1/

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/4/19 11:50 a.m.

I had an old 20 gal 120V horizontal Speedaire I picked up at a pawn shop.  It was worn out when I got it, wouldn't make more than 30 psi, and had ~1/4" of dirt caked on top of the pistons when I took it apart.  I bought it real cheap, mostly just for the motor, but I put rings, reeds, and bearings in it (I actually put rings in it twice, it somehow broke a ring some years after I first rebuilt it) and I used it for years, it worked great.

Speedaire was (maybe still is) only sold through Grainger.  Not cheap, but the great thing about Grainger is parts availability, and documentation.  My compressor was older than digital parts diagrams, but someone at Grainger was able to find a physical parts diagram for my compressor, scan it and email it to me.

I finally finished wearing the pump out, a couple years ago, and I couldn't really justify re-ringing it again.

I googled the part # for the pump from Grainger .pdf I had, and found a NOS pump on Amazon for cheap.

Put a new pump on it, and ran it for another month or two before the tank developed a pin hole from internal rust...

That's my Speedaire saga, I got a solid 10+ years of use out of a worn out one, so I'd say they're good stuff.

I still have it taking up space in my garage.  Basically new pump with a useless tank.  I keep thinking I'm going to make a smoker out of the tank, only reason I still have it.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltimaDork
7/7/19 8:46 p.m.

Well I bought it. Haven't had time to play with it much but it has new coupler, blow off and drain valve. Seller even threw in a 50' hose. 20 gallon tank and 2 cylinder pump.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/11/19 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku :

That looks a lot like mine used to.  When I had it apart the first time, I taped off and painted flames on the tank, because... hot rod air compressor!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uRilKhLyWM0GVrQX8QUd1yX3s4rwbtzDzDsBlCbqIpo5qt1fJp9wHXhXKneXr9pK