1 2 3
Danny Shields
Danny Shields HalfDork
5/3/19 7:26 a.m.

John,

Thanks for posting that! Good times there. Hopefully we will see the SVO at the Challenge this October with its new owner, as well as Tod and Mark's KaBluey Mustang returning, older and scruffier but with more power.

Danny

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
5/3/19 7:30 a.m.

Damn, so so so sorry to hear that. I enjoyed chatting with him at the yard sale. Cancer sucks. crying

aw614
aw614 Reader
5/3/19 7:43 a.m.

:(

Andrew Wong here from the Suncoast PCA Autocrosses, I've always enjoyed his presence and his course designs and what challenge car him and Tod would bring. Was always fun when he came by work station and chatted it up about car stuff. Always thankful for helping me jump start my integra when  my battery died due me leaving it in the ignitition due to my ECU issues I was having.

The Mustang and the TR8 Challenge cars were my favorite.

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
5/3/19 8:05 a.m.

Gattdammit.  When I saw the for sale thread I was worried this might be the case.  

Godspeed Mark.  If I can get it to start, I'll do some donuts in my MR2 on old gas while giving the universe the finger for ya.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/3/19 10:43 a.m.

Damn, man sadhere's hoping for a miracle.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/3/19 11:19 a.m.

Man, I hate to hear this. 

I was just thinking back and it seems that the big C has struck the challenge field and GRM board at a disproportionately high rate. And the list just keeps growing. It does seem unfair. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/3/19 11:47 a.m.

Yeah, thanks for sharing the news, and please pass along our thoughts. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/3/19 1:30 p.m.

Didn't have the pleasure of knowing him personally, but we all hate to find out a fellow GRM'r isn't winning against the terribleness that is cancer. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
5/3/19 4:02 p.m.

Cancer is indeed a bitch.  He will be my prayers.

tb
tb Dork
5/3/19 4:10 p.m.

E36 M3

You're in my thoughts, brother

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
5/3/19 7:37 p.m.

Lost for words right now. Hope he is comfortable. 

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman New Reader
5/3/19 7:39 p.m.

This thread is full of win.

The outpouring of sympathy, condolences and remembering a person who has had an impact on a community in a meaningful way.

I've never met the man, but wish I had. He sounds like genuinely good people. Just like this community.

As usual, the big C has struck down someone who will be missed.

Remember to remember those you love, like and enjoy, and cherish the moments you have with them, because you never know when those will be all you have left.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
5/3/19 8:07 p.m.

Praying for you and your fam

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
5/3/19 8:29 p.m.

Please let him know he is in my thoughts. As are you and all of his family and friends. :(

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/3/19 8:54 p.m.

E36 M3. So sorry to hear this.  I too never had the privilege of meeting him in person, but that doesn't mean I haven't been touched by his involvement here. 

He always provided good meaningful tips and information, as well as encouragement. Plus the challenge TR8 is and was one of all time favorite cars. 

Thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
5/3/19 8:58 p.m.

Seriously. Berkeley cancer. Why does it take so many good ones but leaves way too many E36M3heads.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
5/4/19 12:43 a.m.
John Welsh said:

My favorite picture of Mark...

From this thread where Mark wrote:

This is Tod and I at the $2016 Challenge. Tod is holding his General Tire Challenge trophy (and some borrowed booze), I'm holding the Participant Award John W. gave us. Thank you John. The '94 R-code Miata won the Mazda Choice award. Our shirts say, Cobra Kai, All Valley Karate Championship.

I have said many times that The Challenge is greater than what actually gets conveyed by the written word and still photos.  You two are a big part of that Greatness!  

For those that may not know, these are the entries that make these two Challenge Royalty: 

$2007 Fiero,  $2008 Fiero,  $2009 Civic,  $2010 Mustang,  $2011 TR8, $2012 TR8 - 4th,  $2013 Ka-Bluey,  $2014 Ka-Bluey,  $2015 Ka-Bluey,  $2016 MX-5

This is the famous Ka-Bluey: 

The picture doesn't do it justice but if you zoom in you will see that the rear spoiler is actually a less functional aftermarket spoiler then reversed to make it more functional.  

Another Ka-bluey pic:

Crazy.  I’ve owned both a white 94 R Miata and a bright blue 94 GT.....  I hope to bring my white 94 GT to the challenge this year.  Tell my automotive brother in white Miatas and blue Mustangs that hobby cars in the afterlife never need fuel, tires, or breakdown.  

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
5/4/19 6:04 a.m.
z31maniac said:

Didn't have the pleasure of knowing him personally, but we all hate to find out a fellow GRM'r isn't winning against the terribleness that is cancer. 

Said better than I can. This sucks.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields HalfDork
5/6/19 8:07 p.m.

Mark's suffering is over.

We got word through Mark's sister, shortly after our visit this afternoon. We had brought Mark's mom for what turned out to be a final visit. The Hospice nurse said he might still hear us, even though he could not respond. So his mom read him several nice cards received from friends, and my wife read him all the unread texts that were lighting up his phone, many from his friends here.  Mark really appreciated his GRM friends, and your thoughts and prayers. 

No formal services are planned, but a celebration of Mark's life is under discussion, to be held at a later date in the Tampa Bay area. 

Danny

Mark built many of the cars for the Valve Cover Race at last year's $2000 Challenge, then let each kid pick one to race.

This 2015 photo shows some past cars but does not include the "Group 44" look Miata or "Pepe" the black Miata from 2018

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/6/19 8:11 p.m.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/6/19 8:29 p.m.

Of all the cool things Mark did for this community what I remember most was him making sure Lil Stampie and the other kids felt part of it. He went out of his way each year to make sure Lil Stampie was part of the valve cover racing even if it was just starting the cars. Be warned that Mark gave him a "ringer" last time we were down there with instructions on how to make it better. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/6/19 8:46 p.m.

I will never be the body and paint man that he was, but I’ll give it my best effort.  Prayers to Mark’s family and friends.  We should all be so lucky as to have someone like Danny (and hobiercr, and everyone else behind the scenes) around us.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
5/6/19 8:47 p.m.

Im glad I got to meet you, Mark, and looked forward to seeing you at the Challenges. You were a wonderfully friendly guy. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/6/19 9:00 p.m.

Peace. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/6/19 9:02 p.m.

crying

i vote we have a celebration of life for mark and jim at the challenge 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners