1 2
Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
6/8/21 1:17 p.m.

The special socket specifies not to use an impact. These are the McGard spline drives. I would only use the impact to get them drove down and seated, (started by hand of course!) and then finish up with an actual torque wrench. Am I tempting fate here?

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/8/21 1:38 p.m.

That's what I do, I also use them with the impact to remove them.

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
6/8/21 1:40 p.m.
akylekoz said:

That's what I do, I also use them with the impact to remove them.

That sounds not good. If the splines strip in reverse, you definitely won't get it off the stud for replacement. 

WillG80
WillG80 Reader
6/8/21 1:41 p.m.

I always use the impact to remove them. No issues so far. 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
6/8/21 1:41 p.m.

Never had an issue in 10+ years using an impact on them.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/8/21 1:42 p.m.
EvanB said:

Never had an issue in 10+ years using an impact on them.

This. Been using them for over 15 years without issue.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/8/21 2:56 p.m.

Its probably one of those things to protect them from litigation in the event one does strip them out.

"We told you not to do that-right on the package!"

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/8/21 3:46 p.m.

Never had an issue either. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/8/21 3:56 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E (Forum Supporter) :

Add me to your list of impact users. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
6/8/21 7:36 p.m.

Uggs duggas for me too. No issues. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
6/8/21 7:45 p.m.

Count me in for the impact group.  Air and battery

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/8/21 7:52 p.m.

Only had one truck that had em, but never had a people with an impact, off or on, but I always do the final tight by hand, with either a 4way or torque 

BTW, being one of the old farts, I had never heard ugga dugga, before here? Is that from a kids cartoon, or something? Just curious to the origins.  

Toyman01 + Sized and
6/8/21 7:55 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

It's a unit of torque when using an impact. One uggs dugga is not as tight as 4 uggs duggas. 

It has been around a while.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/8/21 8:13 p.m.

Been pullin' wrenches for 45 years now; never heard that before here. laugh Any clue on the origins?

Course I was prolly 20, and doing some machining, before I hear somebody say "lefty loosy, righty tighty! I do still use that to trash newbie's  

But then, my upbringing was not exactly normal!

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
6/8/21 8:36 p.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

In reply to 03Panther :

It's a unit of torque when using an impact. One uggs dugga is not as tight as 4 uggs duggas. 

It has been around a while.

It's a multiplier too. 5 Ugga dugga to the tenth power=broken stud.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/8/21 9:24 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Dugga dugga is the sound an impact makes if it were a cartoon tool. The interballs latched on to sound and here were are . 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/8/21 10:03 p.m.

The shipyard slang was "a knocker", but outside of that I've only heard inpact. 
And I don't hear dugga dugga running one, even in a cartoon voice. But then it's been mentioned that I'm about a subtle as a lead zeppelin. 
I knew what y'all meant this last year and a half I've been here, just can't fathom why! And being an official old fart, and a backwoods hill billy, That's not exactly a new experience for me!

Much like some of the filter words; not too hard to figure what they are replacing, but very few answers of why those choices. 

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
6/8/21 10:07 p.m.

When I had a spline drive I had no issue spinning them off and on. Of course I'd always torque to spec afterwards. 2-3 ugga duggas gets me to about 75 ft-lbs with an M18 3/8" drive.

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
6/8/21 11:19 p.m.
03Panther said:

The shipyard slang was "a knocker", but outside of that I've only heard inpact. 
And I don't hear dugga dugga running one, even in a cartoon voice. But then it's been mentioned that I'm about a subtle as a lead zeppelin. 
I knew what y'all meant this last year and a half I've been here, just can't fathom why! And being an official old fart, and a backwoods hill billy, That's not exactly a new experience for me!

Much like some of the filter words; not too hard to figure what they are replacing, but very few answers of why those choices. 

It's when the air powered impacts run out of air. They go "ugga ugga ugga ugaa dugga"

JBinMD
JBinMD New Reader
6/9/21 10:14 a.m.

iirc the first I heard of "ugga dugga" was either with AvE, Mighty Car Mods, or Bad Obsession Motorsports on youtube.  :shrug:  

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/9/21 10:23 a.m.

No matter what type of stud/bolt I always crack them lose by hand before lifting the car, and just use an impact to run them off once in the air.  I never break lose lug nuts with a power tool.  Dunno if it's really a thing or not, but it's how I was taught so I've always done it that way without thinking about it.  

dps214
dps214 Dork
6/9/21 10:39 a.m.

I had a couple of sets a while ago, never treated them any differently than normal lugs. Impact off, impact 95% of the way on, torque wrench for the final ~1/2turn. Yet to have any issues with any form of lug nut/bolt. That warning might be a limitation on the socket more than anything else (looks like the mcgard sockets specifically are just normal chrome steel) but you should be able to get an impact socket style. I think I still have one actually but it might be a slightly different spline style.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
6/9/21 10:53 a.m.

Impact off, impact on (go ahead let the hate flow through you) learn your tools and a basic feel for things and you'll have no problems with this. Yes you should always check with a torque wrench. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
6/9/21 11:36 a.m.

Just in case you miss hearing those ugga duggas, here are 24 hours of it just for you. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
6/9/21 11:57 a.m.

What about just using an impact *driver* to run them on and off to minimize potential for cross threading and overtorque? I've been on the fence about purchasing a cordless impact wrench but have had great luck just using the driver with adapter- all this assuming you are going to final torque by hand. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iMnKPUXQRY75werI5hwg1QYAfG2bG3scAwDMJXHcNO5JFD2KEF5GZhNwPIIpaYd9