Flight Service
Flight Service UltraDork
12/12/12 1:53 p.m.

2004 BMW X3 - 3.0 stick.

I bought this car last year (73K for $15K) and am still in love with it. It now has 89K on it gives me 20 city and 28 highway mpg.

It has an occasional CEL (comes on for about 4 heat cycles, then goes away for 3). The engine on occasion will develop a heavy miss upon start up. I will shut the car down, start it back up and it is gone. No biggie.

This morning it did something weird to the point I am asking you guys for help. The 4x4 light, abs, brake, low tire light, CEL (which wasn't on) and the speedo and odometer stopped working after the car had been being driven for about 3 minutes. I did my normal stop, turnoff count to 10 and restart, twice but to no avail.

I tried a third time after driving for about 10 minutes, and let it sit for a minute and it worked. Back to all is well. Just got back from lunch, just the CEL and everything else is working.

Just for full disclosure the drivers side mirror has started adjusting itself after using the remote to lock or unlock over the last two weeks. Don't know if it is related.

The car ran fine during all of this. I could tell the 4x4 system was going throw it's cycling by the clicks it makes when it engages and disengages.

So any ideas or am I on my own on this one?

cdowd
cdowd New Reader
12/12/12 1:59 p.m.

I would check the battery. I have a 2003 x5 3.0 with a stick so i can understand your enjoyment. Mine had a slowly dying battery and started showing some wierd symptoms that have not returned since replacment. Hope this is al it is. otherwise i have no clue.

Chris

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
12/12/12 5:14 p.m.

The instrument panel/lights is most likely a printed circuit. As the panel heats up, a crack in the "wiring" seperates.

Flight Service
Flight Service UltraDork
12/13/12 11:26 a.m.

humm, new battery in September, I wonder if I have a constant drain, need to check.

cdowd
cdowd New Reader
12/13/12 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

Maybe check the grounds then.

Chris

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
12/13/12 5:47 p.m.

Would it be rude of me to laugh at you now? Welcome to German electronics.

Flight Service
Flight Service UltraDork
12/13/12 5:49 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

yes

dj06482
dj06482 Dork
12/13/12 8:28 p.m.

I had similar symptoms when the electronics unit from our remote starter went on the fritz. I'd guess you're looking at an electronics issue, so I'd start with battery cables and grounds. Any critters munching in the wires?

Flight Service
Flight Service UltraDork
12/14/12 11:56 a.m.

In reply to dj06482:

None that I have noticed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xqxRY5Tk71Y7Zx17uL4RpgVhkuAVzfLwXUzbb3RjPutypBygnkWzUqBFcqmWXYkW