1 2 3
Hal
Hal SuperDork
6/8/15 4:03 p.m.

My first car:

My latest car:

The latest one is faster and handles much better than the first one. Plus I have room for passengers and stuff.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
6/8/15 4:07 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to G_Body_Man: as shocking as it is, you can make an echo turn

Yes, but when it's your dad's beat-up, rusty, clearcoat-peeling, cheapo-non-butterfly valve muffler'd, autotragic, swaybarless, base-model, fluid-leaking, plastic-clad beater, neither of us would want to put in the effort.

Harvey
Harvey HalfDork
6/8/15 4:07 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: I haven't considered a Vette a sports car for a very long time. I think it fits in the GT spectrum. Sure the Z06 package turns it into a super car, but not sports car. Now I don't want to get into a semantics arguement, but the Vette, with a few models outstanding, has always been a high speed touring car. Which is great. Marketing department aside, is it a true sports car?

As far as the Corvette goes C3 and earlier is a GT car, C4 and later are all sports cars.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
6/8/15 4:18 p.m.

In reply to rcutclif:

Take your silly little roadster and go home.....

The Elise, 4C, and exige are perhaps the purist forms of sports cars we have seen since the 50's-60's. Nobody cares what is still in production at this moment, because it doesn't really matter how many hair dressers buy a car to keep it viable.

sanman
sanman HalfDork
6/8/15 8:12 p.m.

I have gotten to the point where I prefer hot hatches and gt cars more as well. Part of that is sports cars are a bit cramped for someone my size (6'1" 240lbs) and most are not usable often enough to make it worth it. A hot hatch DD and an old miata (or sw20 in my case) for the weekend seem like a good balance. I am curious to try a z32 as an attainable sports GT car though.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/8/15 10:41 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to G_Body_Man: as shocking as it is, you can make an echo turn

You know what you get when you drive your Camry into the Grand Canyon?

An Echo.

rimshot

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/8/15 10:43 p.m.
Harvey wrote:
Flight Service wrote: I haven't considered a Vette a sports car for a very long time. I think it fits in the GT spectrum. Sure the Z06 package turns it into a super car, but not sports car. Now I don't want to get into a semantics arguement, but the Vette, with a few models outstanding, has always been a high speed touring car. Which is great. Marketing department aside, is it a true sports car?
As far as the Corvette goes C3 and earlier is a GT car, C4 and later are all sports cars.

Your arguement is invalid simply on the C4 alone. That was a mistake. I still say too big, and comfy. GT.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
6/9/15 6:13 a.m.

this "sports cars are" was a long thread just a couple of months ago

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
6/9/15 6:26 a.m.

In reply to wbjones...

This is the thread that never ends! (to the tune of "this is the song that never ends)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U2zJOryHKQ

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
6/9/15 6:28 a.m.

we have several of those … they just seem to start back up on their own on a very predictable cycle …

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/9/15 6:49 a.m.

You guys are the one drifting into a sports car argument, I am just saying I like GT cars better.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
6/9/15 7:20 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service: We're busting your chops because we don't agree with you. No big deal.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
6/9/15 8:10 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: You guys are the one drifting into a sports car argument, I am just saying I like GT cars better.

regardless … it gets the same dudes all fired up but that's ok … I was just commenting to run up my post count for when (ever) we get the leaderboard back

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/9/15 8:23 a.m.
Dashpot wrote:
Duke wrote: The last 4 cars he's actually bought, starting around 2004: * 2000-ish Mazda 626 * Early-oughties Civic Si hatch * 2007-ish Forester * 2009 Cooper S My sister used to own a '68 GTO convertible and is fully behind the roadster idea, so it sure as hell ain't her fault.
I'm knee deep in cheap Env/Wastewater Engineers, it's what I do. Many "fully depreciated" vehicles in the parking lot. A $5-8K Miata is a low risk intro to the roadster/fun car world. Grab your sister & pick one out for him (for Fathers Day!). Park it in the driveway and see if he puts it to use. If not, sell it off for minimal loss. Your sister will thank you.... That '09 MINI could have been fun, did he tire of it quick?

If she bought him a Miata, she'd have to do it with her own money. Yes, he's that kind.

He just bought the MINI last week, after showing me no less than 4 NB Miatae and an RX-8.

This is the man who bought a 4-year-old base 626 in 2003 or so to keep the mileage off of his other car - a crusty 1996 base Legacy wagon.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
6/9/15 10:18 a.m.

Whats wrong with having both? One for nice days and the other for not-so-nice days? I drive an old turbo mini van for practicality but love the days I can drive the sports car.

Harvey
Harvey HalfDork
6/9/15 10:35 a.m.
Flight Service wrote:
Harvey wrote:
Your arguement is invalid simply on the C4 alone. That was a mistake. I still say too big, and comfy. GT.

No. All Corvettes are big and comfy, it's a design feature for the target market. The C4 and later are still sports cars.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
6/9/15 11:16 a.m.

Having read all the replies I have to agree completely with flightservice. It's even better when these GT cars and hot hatches can out accelerate, out brake and out turn a "sportscar".

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
6/9/15 11:26 a.m.

there was a Honda Odyssey at Road Atlanta this weekend that would out accelerate, out brake, out turn most hot hatches, GT cars, and sportscars

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
6/9/15 12:56 p.m.

In reply to Duke: I wouldn't bother with talking cars with that guy. I'm assuming that he hasn't even test driven a sports car or sports coupe yet. I would also assume that he's not interested in driving enjoyment, either. But hey, most people are like that.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
6/9/15 1:42 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

That's even better.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/9/15 5:09 p.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: In reply to Duke: I wouldn't bother with talking cars with that guy. I'm assuming that he hasn't even test driven a sports car or sports coupe yet. I would also assume that he's not interested in driving enjoyment, either. But hey, most people are like that.

Nope, he's test driven them. It's just that he absolutely can't overcome his "I'm an engineer from Nebraska raised by parents of the Depression era" mentality. He wants to have fun, he might even know how, but he just can't bring himself to do it.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
6/9/15 5:19 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

Being able to identify with the engineering mentality, I don't think all hope is lost. His current progression of cars shows his choices trending in the right direction. Embracing your inner desires and going to the dark side is simply a longer journey for some people than others.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
6/9/15 5:35 p.m.

In reply to Duke: Well, in that case, in 3 years just tell him

But not with an RX-8 at first since those rotaries seem to be prone to blow up.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
6/9/15 6:22 p.m.

1 - a Mini is not a sports car (thought we should establish that)

2 - there are lots of sports coupes that are sports cars. Here are two of mine, a half century apart. I much prefer them on highway trips - you aren't beaten half to death at the end of the day's run.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
6/9/15 6:25 p.m.

im anti front wheel drive but im also not a fan of anything newer then 93

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rqcD8DiZfHVhP3LhpKowtQ4fcHAHdHOVjc8rnFWcnAYZkehdnkMvdfjYdoehUDT0