1 2
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/14/22 4:06 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I know the interior doesn't work for some people, we can just take that as a given :) It's different enough that it's scary if you've only got a few minutes of exposure, but I find it no more distracting in use than the E39.

One thing I am always amazed with about Tesla interiors and their cheerleaders. I have no opinion necessarily, but it's entirely possible for someone to not like them. It doesn't mean they are scary. It doesn't mean that they just have to get used to them. It's just that they don't like them.

Back on topic, I really like the idea of the Lucid line. It's likely that I'll never own one, it's a price point I just can't get to, but it shows what we can do in 2022 with an EV drivetrain aimed at the luxury market. I wonder what real head to head tests against something like an S class would be. I suspect bad for the S class.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/14/22 4:37 p.m.

I'm trying to separate the interior styling versus the HUI. The former is definitely a matter of taste. I like it, but I'm not going to claim that it's for everyone. What is simple and calming to some is stark and empty to others. That's fine.

I've clarified the statement you quoted:

I know the interior doesn't work for some people, we can just take that as a given :) The user interface is different enough that it's scary if you've only got a few minutes of exposure, but I find it no more distracting in use than the E39.

The HUI is definitely something you can adapt to, and stating that it's dangerous with almost no exposure to it isn't giving it a fair shake. People imagine they'll be hunting and pecking like they're using a touchscreen PC with Windows, when in reality it's a lot closer to a "real" car once you start realizing where various controls are. I don't find it any more distracting or dangerous to use than the widely varied interfaces of my other cars. Call me a cheerleader if this bothers you, but it's always easier to evaluate something after you've actually spent time with it.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/14/22 4:50 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

So while I agree with what you say here, you will also hopefully notice that I did not offer my own opinion as I have not spent enough time in one to truly develop an opinion. Adrian had, and you dismissed his opinion. That's what I meant.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/14/22 4:53 p.m.

It's my understanding the S had a more traditional interface than the 3/Y (or less extreme implementation of the same thing), so my comments were based on people's reactions to the 3/Y. I may be wrong about that, but I know it's got at least a screen in the traditional gauge location.

I'd like to hear more about why he finds it dangerous out of curiosity. I've been involved in interface design of one sort or another for a couple of decades. I wasn't dismissing his statement, I was offering a counterpoint. He said it was dangerous, I said that I didn't find it any more distracting than a mass market sedan from 20 years ago that I drive fairly frequently. That's not dismissive, that's a different opinion.

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
4/14/22 4:59 p.m.

Here's a little tidbit I watched on Youtube a few days ago.  

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
4/15/22 11:58 a.m.

I saw a Lucid on the road yesterday and didn't know what it was but I immediately thought Buick.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I wasn't impressed.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/15/22 3:45 p.m.

Painting them beige probably doesn't help with the Buick vibe.

They've got a very unusual side profile, I've never seen a picture from this angle. Taken by a friend.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/15/22 3:53 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I generally hate beige/gold cars, but that color in person looks tremendous. More of a bronzy-brown than beige.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rzNGJsLSzAk4TLzHsJRGpUISrRQy8ox5ECmwTo5WpdQZbwsSAzypgkNeHEL095Cp