Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/13/17 6:41 p.m.

This is awesome. I had no idea that it was this simple and didn't require super special tools.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/kZdY01gAZFY

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
1/13/17 6:51 p.m.

It's an art form to get right! You need the proper amount of heat but not to much or the base shaft bends and the powder gets grainy.... best to make a new shaft then repair but sometimes theres no options.

eebasist
eebasist Reader
1/17/17 9:43 p.m.

In reply to 44Dwarf:

We would do this all the time. Ideal option is a new shaft, but financially that doesnt make sense on specialized equipment. Heat control is critically important, not only for the integrity of the shaft, but also for the repaired surface.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/17/17 10:05 p.m.

I've become somewhat addicted to Abom79's videos from his machine shop.

djsilver
djsilver Reader
1/17/17 10:06 p.m.

I work in a power plant and have mostly seen it used to repair shafts on large electric motors where a spun bearing damaged the shaft. For lip-seal grooves, we'll often use repair sleeves just like those used on engines.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
1/17/17 10:16 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: I've become somewhat addicted to Abom79's videos from his machine shop.

Check out Keith Fenner and This Old Tony if you need more.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/18/17 6:54 a.m.

So for you experts- what's the more "modern" version of this. He mentioned that he uses a old system with the torch and the gravity fed powder metal.

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
1/18/17 7:09 a.m.

It's extremely popular in mold-making shops. No sense scrapping a mold with a minor imperfection. Rip out the spray welder and repair it!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I0LLdxlc4KJN7oxY3F6dci4oIKAjAyd5XPFzHebvjo0qmZeGQt5pbGYlcI8Idog1