1 2
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/3/15 8:23 p.m.
calteg wrote: This made me chortle as well. I love that everyone is going gaga over the new breed of high HP FWD cars. Pretty sure the SRT-4s made an honest 300hp over a decade ago. Refinement? Bah, who needs refinement, or handling, or a tight turning radius?

300 is about the limit (unless you want to drive around on track tires) anyway right?

I once drove a friends over 400 hp SRT... it was just a silly tire spinning machine.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/4/15 12:38 p.m.

Depends what rpm it's made at. A 300hp 1.6L won't have much problem with traction once into 3rd gear. A 300hp SRT4 will probably spin tires in 3rd gear easily because it'll be making over 400wtq unless it's been modified with the intention of raising the powerband.

thedanimal
thedanimal New Reader
12/4/15 1:34 p.m.

I had the opportunity to drive a non molested example a few years back. It was silly, and unrefined but it made a lot of shouty noises and was a hoot to drive.

wae
wae Dork
12/4/15 1:39 p.m.

How do you make an SRT-4 owner jealous of your Civic?

Pull up next to him at a stoplight and roll your rear windows down.

thedanimal
thedanimal New Reader
12/4/15 2:07 p.m.
wae wrote: How do you make an SRT-4 owner jealous of your Civic? Pull up next to him at a stoplight and roll your rear windows down.

Ha, I remember laughing at seeing the crank windows in the back. the 2012+ Foci S model has just cranks in the back too. it's kind of an odd thing to see.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/4/15 3:32 p.m.

Never would bother me. I don't drive from the back.

Furious_E
Furious_E Reader
12/4/15 3:36 p.m.
thedanimal wrote: ...It was silly, and unrefined but it made a lot of shouty noises...

Funny, that seems to describe most people I see driving these cars as well.

Actually saw a (relatively) clean one on my way home from work the other night. Had a fart can and was lowered, but that appeared to be about the extent of the mods.

underpowered
underpowered New Reader
12/4/15 5:19 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb:

The throw out bearing fork wears, making it hard to get into gear.

D2W
D2W Reader
12/4/15 6:13 p.m.

My son has had two. Fun as hell, The only thing really wrong with it is it should be rear wheel drive. Good ones around here sell for 8-10K. You rarely see a good one though, most have salvage titles and after you drive one you understand why.

RyanW
RyanW New Reader
12/4/15 10:44 p.m.

I've daily driven one for the past 2 years. They've never had good resale value. I picked mine up bone stock with 94k Californian miles for $5500. Love the thing, they're pretty bulletproof and always puts a smile on your face. I average 26-27 mpg routinely on my no-highway drive to work. Any questions, just ask.

RyanW
RyanW New Reader
12/4/15 10:52 p.m.

Oh, and that ad is down, but 'not going into gear' could of been a simple broken shift selector. Depending on what the description was. $110 or so for an aftermarket billet one and you're good to go. Assuming the broken one didn't cause damage to the gears when it broke.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
12/6/15 9:17 a.m.

I just stumbled upon this one with a clean title(and looks good in pics) but with 183k on it. FYI/NMNA

RyanW
RyanW New Reader
12/6/15 9:07 p.m.
petegossett wrote: I just stumbled upon this one with a clean title(and looks good in pics) but with 183k on it. FYI/NMNA

That's more than I'd want to spend for the mileage, but the mileage wouldn't scare me. Consumables on the car are cheap, and the motors seem to take miles well. Rust would be my concern, and the 3rd gear grind. The shift extenders that they sell 'should' fix that, they're a little over $100, but it's more of a bandaid fix.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/7/15 4:10 p.m.
They've never had good resale value.

I'd say the ones selling for 10K+ right now have EXCEPTIONAL resale value for a 10 year old Neon.

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
12/7/15 5:22 p.m.

Near me, they seem to be priced pretty close to E36 M3s and a little less than a 350z of the same era. 8K seems to get you a baseline very good example. It'll usually have plenty of miles, but will have been well taken care of. 6.5k for something beat on a little harder and sub 5k for an absolute trash pile. Personally, I'd take the M3 or Z any day.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/7/15 5:57 p.m.

While I walked up my driveway this evening, a stock-looking SRT-4 drove down the street.

RyanW
RyanW New Reader
12/7/15 7:21 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: While I walked up my driveway this evening, a stock-looking SRT-4 drove down the street.

Did it rumble and gargle the whole time?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
12/7/15 7:52 p.m.
RyanW wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: While I walked up my driveway this evening, a stock-looking SRT-4 drove down the street.

A friend of mine was working for Chrysler when the SRT4 was being developed, and they had one guy who spent quite a bit of time figuring out exactly how to drive the car to get it to pass the noise standards.

They really should have a muffler somewhere, probably.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/7/15 8:25 p.m.
RyanW wrote:

It was more coasting to the stop sign. It still had the stock wheels, though. When's the last time that you saw that?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/8/15 7:16 a.m.

The last time i saw stock SRT4 wheels was the last time i walked by my SRT4-engined minivan. I hate those wheels, but they still look better on a minivan than they do on an SRT4.

RyanW
RyanW New Reader
12/8/15 9:36 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Oddly , most I see have stock wheels. 6" wide and 250 ft/lbs of front wheel torque makes so much sense

I can honestly say that the sound was one of the reasons I've wanted one for so long. You can't not smile when driving it.

2.0dohc
2.0dohc Reader
12/9/15 12:03 a.m.

My wife is on her second srt4, this one is not as near as nice as the last. It pops and bangs, spins the tires, tries to change lanes by itself and gets ALOT of attention coming onto base...could be due to the open exhaust, hard piping intake and loud BOV. She gets mad when I say I'm getting a muffler for it.

NickD
NickD Reader
12/9/15 10:27 a.m.

I once had the pleasure of meeting someone who had a 700whp SRT-4 Neon. From 80mph on up that car was untouchable. At low speeds, well it at least looked awesome as it incinerated the tires. He slapped slicks on it once and tried to make a dragstrip pass, broke an axle off the line, changed it in the pits, went back to the line and broke the axle again and called it a day.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uarlXPoDcVs0AroHuf0y0v9vgGkAgmMmIwdBXXAIvbmSYSODOTeZxSPVuPyym9RV