fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
9/4/13 8:55 a.m.

In reply to Knurled:

move to a different county.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
9/4/13 9:05 a.m.
jdbuilder wrote: Not what I would do to an NSX but rock on and go America.

Yessir!

Wrench on.

I want to ruin a dually and drive the hell out of it.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
9/4/13 9:52 a.m.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4043587777.html

Yours for only $5200

stancetard said: I am selling my 1990 Mazda Miata. It has been my daily driver, runs great and gets 30+ mpg. it's a 1.6L stock engine with no leaks or issues, 177K original miles. Oil changed every 3,000 miles. Clean OR title in hand registered under my name Lowered on Rokkor coilovers - still have room to lower 15 by 8 +15 offsett xxr 002 wheels and about 5.5 degrees of camber NRG package steering wheel, quick release, and hub New Soft top! Stage 2 clutch - very very very smooth The bad: needs new thermostat - temperature needle jumps currently does not blow cold air, but I got through the summer just fine with the top down. Theres a clicking noise coming from the rear drivers side wheel. Overall an awesome little car. It has been reliable and I had no problems whatsoever. I commute about 20 miles a day and it has been a good daily driver. I am looking to sell but may be willing to trade for 240 or A4 1.8 audi. I am asking $5,200 for the car. If you are interested please call or text 503-847-zero zero 9 zero.
xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
9/4/13 9:54 a.m.
turboswede wrote: Yours for only $5200

u mad bro?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/4/13 10:16 a.m.

while it would never survive these roads.. I think that miata with a touch more clearance would still be just as hot I do not even mind the looks of the rims, but I would need to some that were not as wide.. again, just to survive the roads around here.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/4/13 10:18 a.m.

I wouldn't be surprised if it actually sells for close to that. I think you could make money by buying old used up Miatas, doing a weekend's worth of detail and polishing, slamming them on their nuts with some $300 Rokkor/Raceland coilovers (as that gentleman is using) and whatever cheap low offset wheels you could find on CL, wrapped in the cheapest allseasons you could find.

Set the whole thing off with an Ebay reproduction R-spec or Garage Vary lip for under $100 shipped. (Again, as you see there.)

I could reproduce that exact car for well under $3k.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/4/13 10:28 a.m.
Anti-stance wrote: This. I really hate the stretched tires thing. It's a fad. I'm not really into the fads of car culture. But it's their money. As long as they aren't driving like shiny happy people, I don't care. But I will make fun of it. Sorry.

A big +1 to this, as its put better than I could have and it pretty much sums my opinion perfectly. I will still make fun of them, and I will still look(heck, prolly even tell them) at the people who think my cars are "stanced" like they are berkeleying idiots.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
9/4/13 10:47 a.m.

That's about as low as I dare go. The exhaust already drags on driveways and the like. Not too mention the ride is E36 M3 thanks to the lack of travel up front.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/4/13 11:10 a.m.

The "stance" of your car looks great, though!!!

I fear what some of you would say about the MX6 if you saw it in person. I've high-sided on speed bumps, steep driveways. I hit my frame on something at last 1-2x a week, and my mudflaps self-clearanced on the road for a week once i lowered it.

And i'm going to go lower once the Ground Controls go on, because despite it having so little clearance, i still have an annoying amount of wheel gap.

Don't care. $900 beater. Handles great.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
9/4/13 12:20 p.m.

I did 12k miles on this in 7 months sitting just like this. It was a diesel so performance was non-existent and this didn't hurt the economy and it looks better than a regular ride height skittles car so why not?

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
9/4/13 1:10 p.m.

http://www.stanceworks.com/2013/08/automotive-enthusiasm-is-not-mutually-exclusive/

Says it better than I could. This GRM thread is making fun of a lowered NSX. Maybe people need to read that last sentence out loud to themselves and go outside for a change.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
9/4/13 2:15 p.m.

$5200 for that Miata?

Jeez I need to repaint mine, get the body work fixed up and I could charge at least half that for my beater.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
9/4/13 2:19 p.m.
Flynlow wrote: http://www.stanceworks.com/2013/08/automotive-enthusiasm-is-not-mutually-exclusive/ Says it better than I could. This GRM thread is making fun of a lowered NSX. Maybe people need to read that last sentence out loud to themselves and go outside for a change.

This three page GRM thread has been for the most part about making a big deal about nothing. I did not see more than two posts that where making fun of lowered NSX's. The majority have said it's his car let him do what he wants.

I think maybe people read what they want to instead of what's written.

speedblind
speedblind HalfDork
9/4/13 2:30 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
stancetard said: I am selling my 1990 Mazda Miata. It has been my daily driver, runs great and gets 30+ mpg. it's a 1.6L stock engine with no leaks or issues, 177K original miles. Oil changed every 3,000 miles. Clean OR title in hand registered under my name Lowered on Rokkor coilovers - still have room to lower 15 by 8 +15 offsett xxr 002 wheels and about 5.5 degrees of camber NRG package steering wheel, quick release, and hub New Soft top! Stage 2 clutch - very very very smooth The bad: needs new thermostat - temperature needle jumps currently does not blow cold air, but I got through the summer just fine with the top down. Theres a clicking noise coming from the rear drivers side wheel. Overall an awesome little car. It has been reliable and I had no problems whatsoever. I commute about 20 miles a day and it has been a good daily driver. I am looking to sell but may be willing to trade for 240 or A4 1.8 audi. I am asking $5,200 for the car. If you are interested please call or text 503-847-zero zero 9 zero.

I love it when they list thousands of dollars in aftermarket crap from bottom-of-the-barrel companies and end with it needing a ~$15 part.

Just buy the berkeleying thermostat - it's the cost of a flat bill DC Shoes hat for god's sakes!

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
9/4/13 2:35 p.m.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mndsm/media/IMAG0215-1.jpg.html][/URL]

This is my ms3. It is my daily driver. Between the coilovers and the wheel size reduction (I went down to a 17" so I could get 245's under it) it's approx 3" lower than stock. I scrape sometimes. I have to take driveways sideways. It handles like it's on rails. I love low cars- I don't like ones that are done improperly, and I dislike stretched tires. Beyond that, game on.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/4/13 3:23 p.m.

In reply to speedblind:

It is more likely that they did already buy it and try it. If I ever see a CL add listing "Needs Thermostat" I translate that to "Needs headgaskets because I was stupid and kept driving it"

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
9/4/13 3:58 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: Who here has started being a car enthusiast when they were 40? You like cars when you are young. And with so many places being more and more hostile to the car hobby, having less enthusiast is not a good thing. The point was really driven home to me when I was at the Monterey Historics last month. While the owners of antique cars have always been older, I really noticed that the spectators are also getting older. If I had to guess at the age average of the spectator, I would say it was somewhere between 50 and 60. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but to me it seems like a real future problem.

This. As long as the "stanced" cars aren't unsafe (like the MotoIQ article that was linked to a little earlier), I've stopped making fun of them. Why? Because when I was 16 years old, I was a ricer. I was totally into the Fast and Furious "Import Tuner" scene. Huge sound systems, neons everywhere, body kits, wings--the works.

But I grew up and got into more "tasteful" modifications and actual performance and racing.

And I've noticed fewer and fewer young people into cars. Heck, I'm one of the younger ones at a lot of autocrosses now, and I'm almost 30!

So let's encourage these "stance-tards" and gently nudge them in the right direction instead of making fun of them.

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
9/4/13 6:52 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: In reply to Knurled: move to a different county.

No. The counties with emissions testing are also the counties with industry, therefore money. We've been basically unscathed by the last decade or so. Actually our business has been increasing steadily and we're constantly expanding. So I'll take the "burden" of being stuck with cars over 25 years old, boo farking hoo

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
9/4/13 7:29 p.m.
turboswede wrote:

This is the kind of E36 M3 that makes "stance culture" look stupid though. I'm quite certain that having the steering wheel quick-disconnected on the highway is both moronic and unsafe.

I would, however, LMFAO if the dude accidentally dropped the steering wheel right after this pic was taken

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
9/4/13 7:42 p.m.

Even if he's not just crawling along at 5mph... who's to say that he doesn't have another steering wheel attached to the car? All I see is some guy holding a steering wheel out the window, it's only implication that there wasn't one on the car.

And that's the magic of no-CGI special effects.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/4/13 8:15 p.m.
xflowgolf wrote:
jdbuilder wrote: Not what I would do to an NSX but rock on and go America.
Yessir! Wrench on. I want to ruin a dually and drive the hell out of it.

Agreed and definitely on my bucket list of vehicles

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
9/4/13 8:35 p.m.

Meanwhile, under the car:

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
9/4/13 8:42 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Even if he's not just crawling along at 5mph... who's to say that he doesn't have another steering wheel attached to the car? All I see is some guy holding a steering wheel out the window, it's only implication that there wasn't one on the car. And that's the magic of no-CGI special effects.

I'm saying it somewhat rhetorically, because I know the whole "take your quick-release wheel off and hold it out the window" is some kind of fad in the stance community. I've seen it personally in this area at least twice and was like "WTF???"

http://jalopnik.com/dont-let-driving-without-a-steering-wheel-be-the-next-476311777

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
9/5/13 8:17 a.m.

I'm sure he's got it all under control....

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
9/5/13 10:22 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
Knurled wrote: Even if he's not just crawling along at 5mph... who's to say that he doesn't have another steering wheel attached to the car? All I see is some guy holding a steering wheel out the window, it's only implication that there wasn't one on the car. And that's the magic of no-CGI special effects.
I'm saying it somewhat rhetorically, because I know the whole "take your quick-release wheel off and hold it out the window" is some kind of fad in the stance community. I've seen it personally in this area at least twice and was like "WTF???" http://jalopnik.com/dont-let-driving-without-a-steering-wheel-be-the-next-476311777

Are you E36 M3ting me? That's a thing?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7gdninhl1oC1Qg4bJKTnOsu22u7GHyRkuPH1w0VLzxay2jl7Y75KtJIDr7281XDi