3 4 5 6 7
speedblind
speedblind HalfDork
9/10/13 3:43 a.m.
Mr_Estrotica wrote: I've debated on posting in this thread for a while (and the other "stance-tard" threads). I think a lot of you are too quick to judge, but there seem to be a few that realize that we are all in this together. I daily a bagged Passat, complete with stretchy tires and flushy wheels. I haven't worn a baseball cap a day in my life. My pants fit properly. I don't own an excessive amount of fancy shoes. I am (almost) completely segregated from the VW "scene" at this time. I would openly stab the "low is a lifestyle" kids if it weren't for the repercussions/ their rich parent's lawyers... Car in question: It's just a fun daily driver, and an appliance. That's all. If you can't smile at someone else's creation and say something positive, I suggest you chill the berkeley out. They're cars, guys... it's just a box with 4 wheels and an engine.

I want to believe you, but the HDR filter is pushing it over the edge.

Kidding. Good for you for driving something you get a kick out of. At the end of the day, that's what makes us all weirdos. The sensible thing would be to buy a beige sadwagon and join the masses. Any resistance to that urge is a win.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
9/10/13 5:08 a.m.
speedblind wrote:
Mr_Estrotica wrote: I've debated on posting in this thread for a while (and the other "stance-tard" threads). I think a lot of you are too quick to judge, but there seem to be a few that realize that we are all in this together. I daily a bagged Passat, complete with stretchy tires and flushy wheels. I haven't worn a baseball cap a day in my life. My pants fit properly. I don't own an excessive amount of fancy shoes. I am (almost) completely segregated from the VW "scene" at this time. I would openly stab the "low is a lifestyle" kids if it weren't for the repercussions/ their rich parent's lawyers... Car in question: It's just a fun daily driver, and an appliance. That's all. If you can't smile at someone else's creation and say something positive, I suggest you chill the berkeley out. They're cars, guys... it's just a box with 4 wheels and an engine.
I want to believe you, but the HDR filter is pushing it over the edge. Kidding. Good for you for driving something you get a kick out of. At the end of the day, that's what makes us all weirdos. The sensible thing would be to buy a beige sadwagon and join the masses. Any resistance to that urge is a win.

I'm not going to judge you, I lifted a 2wd full size truck six inches and put 35's on it. With no intention of ever taking it off the pavement.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/10/13 7:21 a.m.
Mr_Estrotica wrote:

You are doing it right. I see nothing "dangerous" about your car and the way you lowered it. The tyres do not look like they are about to pop off the rim if you take it over 10mph, you do not have massive camber that will wear the tyres out in a day, and everything looks well done.

-THAT- is how a car should be lower and "stanced"

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
9/10/13 7:44 a.m.

Mr. E your cars are awesome! You should throw a quick build thread up on your Passat.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/10/13 7:59 a.m.

stanced kids are just afraid of rivet flares...and everyone like rivet flares

edit:

I stand corrected...from the hotlink thread, an example of doing it right:

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
9/10/13 9:07 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: stanced kids are just afraid of rivet flares...and everyone like rivet flares edit: I stand corrected...from the hotlink thread, an example of doing it right:

Yup. Rivet flares are mega popular with the stance folk

I think it is because the angle of the flare is easy to match to the angle of tire stretch

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/10/13 9:09 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote:

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
9/10/13 9:11 a.m.

Mr E.... that car is massively proper. I quite like it, and double bonus points for it being a wagon.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/10/13 9:40 a.m.

I guess Im getting at the wicked camber to tuck inside the fenders bit...rivet flares = reasonable camber on stretched wheels...unless you just prefer the LOOK of sever camber, then, well, I start to draw the line at form/function

slowride
slowride Reader
9/10/13 10:53 a.m.

I've always wondered this about stanced cars: don't the wheels contact the body when going over bumps? Or is there no suspension travel at all?

Otherwise the only issue I have is that the cheap junk tires some use seem unsafe even when used on normal size wheels. I can't imagine stretching them out made them better.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/10/13 11:23 a.m.
don't the wheels contact the body when going over bumps? Or is there no suspension travel at all?

Angling the tire in sharply away from the wheel is a necessary part of getting the wheel so close to the fender lip. Most really hellaflushed cars would have an interference issue if you put non-stretched tires on them. As for the travel, there is probably some small amount of travel left, but you have to increase the spring rates like crazy so that the suspension DOESNT move that much. So having E36 M3ty tires and making your suspension semi-non-functional are kind of necessary to do the hellaflush thing to the max.

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
9/10/13 11:59 a.m.
Mr_Estrotica wrote: I've debated on posting in this thread for a while (and the other "stance-tard" threads). I think a lot of you are too quick to judge, but there seem to be a few that realize that we are all in this together.

Wait for it...

I daily a bagged Passat, complete with stretchy tires and flushy wheels.

My stereotype-senses are tingling.

• Airbags
  • Stretched tires
  • Wheels chosen for how they look on the car

But all of that is minor compared to: - Using the word "daily" as a verb.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
9/10/13 12:08 p.m.
Knurled wrote: - Wheels chosen for how they look on the car

Who the hell doesn't choose wheels based on how they look on the car? Who makes an investment in wheels without saying "These will look nice on there"

If you make your decisions based strictly on measurements without considering the visual appeal you are no different than the person who chooses their blandmobile based solely on what consumer reports says.

Knurled wrote: But all of that is minor compared to: - Using the word "daily" as a verb.

Seriously? If he had tossed in the word "driver" in there you would be just fine?

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/10/13 12:20 p.m.
My stereotype-senses are tingling. Airbags Stretched tires Wheels chosen for how they look on the car But all of that is minor compared to: - Using the word "daily" as a verb.

You just dug yourself a nice little hole. Get out while you still can!

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
9/10/13 12:34 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
Who the hell doesn't choose wheels based on how they look on the car? Who makes an investment in wheels without saying "These will look nice on there" If you make your decisions based strictly on measurements without considering the visual appeal you are no different than the person who chooses their blandmobile based solely on what consumer reports says.

I bought what was cheap, light and fit properly. Who cares what it looks like as long as its fast.

Although my car used to look kind of stanced with 225s stretched on 15x9s (because thats the fast setup).

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/10/13 12:38 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote:

Oooo 309 Gti, cool can when I was a young adult. That looks find from the front, but lose 1-2" of rear wheel width and de-stretch the tires and that would look awesome.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/10/13 12:46 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Mr_Estrotica wrote: I've debated on posting in this thread for a while (and the other "stance-tard" threads). I think a lot of you are too quick to judge, but there seem to be a few that realize that we are all in this together.
Wait for it...
My stereotype-senses are tingling. - Airbags - Stretched tires - Wheels chosen for how they look on the car But all of that is minor compared to: - Using the word "daily" as a verb.

We get it. You're the purest automotive enthusiast left on the forums. You win.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
9/10/13 1:00 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Knurled wrote:
Wait for it...
My stereotype-senses are tingling. - Airbags - Stretched tires - Wheels chosen for how they look on the car But all of that is minor compared to: - Using the word "daily" as a verb.
We get it. You're the purest automotive enthusiast left on the forums. You win.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
9/10/13 1:23 p.m.

Just got out of Walmart. I looked at: Low Rider, Street Truck, Four Wheeler, Import Tuner and Hot VW magazine. The only reason I didn't flip through R&T, 4Wheel &Off-Road, Mopar and that Euro Sport magazine is because I ran out of time.

Life is short, either broaden your horizons or let people enjoy life (and thief hobbies)!

Edit: (and their hobbies)!

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/10/13 2:40 p.m.
and thief hobbies

Let's leave politics out of this!

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
9/10/13 2:54 p.m.
Leafy wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
Who the hell doesn't choose wheels based on how they look on the car? Who makes an investment in wheels without saying "These will look nice on there" If you make your decisions based strictly on measurements without considering the visual appeal you are no different than the person who chooses their blandmobile based solely on what consumer reports says.
I bought what was cheap, light and fit properly. Who cares what it looks like as long as its fast.

I care what it berkeleying looks like. Not every car has to be the fastest thing on the planet. Many of us LIKE aesthetics when choosing a car or its accessories. Or really anything in life. I don't like ugly couches or houses or women or... So when I choose my wheels, since most of them come in the sizes I want, the CHOICE then is to get ones I like the berkeleying look of on the car. Sorry that a couple of you think that that is wrong of me to do.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/10/13 3:37 p.m.

must...resist...making...com..ments

motomad1
motomad1 New Reader
9/10/13 3:48 p.m.

I'm with George on this one.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
9/10/13 3:59 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote:

I want that really bad.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/10/13 4:22 p.m.

I would like it a lot better with a custom roll pan, BECAUSE AESTHETICS.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QYAfka1t1odXmUvI7lI38TAWpCgtixINrJEEVlRnfV5AZBxvKvjQUo14H385hQlO