8 9 10 11
thestig99
thestig99 Reader
5/15/11 6:39 a.m.

Good:

Bad:

Same car, new wheels...

I really don't mind the whole "stance" thing right up until people start running absurd camber so they can get 10.5" wide wheels under a car that doesn't need them and never will. The ones that just add a bunch of neg camber for the sake of doing it.

My goal for my 9000 Aero is kind of "functionally flush". Lower it, bring the new wheels out so they're even with the fenders, while still being able to track it.

fifty
fifty HalfDork
5/15/11 9:11 a.m.

Kids these days!. Back in my day stanking would not have been tolerated! These young people have no idea how good they have it!

I can remember on many occasions, instead of stankring we would go out and fight a war. And when we weren't doing that we were working a 22 hour day, in the snow, with a kid on our back and with barbed wire for shoes.

This staunching needs to stop. Also young people need manners, and quieter voices, and less time in front of the telefax.

erohslc
erohslc Reader
5/15/11 6:11 p.m.

As a Spitfire driver, I can assure you that such camber angles can be throughly functional and appropriate, even on a street car. Not because of a 'look', but to get max G's on freeway ramps.

nderwater
nderwater Dork
5/16/11 10:33 p.m.

Have to contribute...

gamby
gamby SuperDork
5/16/11 11:56 p.m.

In reply to nderwater:

Functionless, but damned if it doesn't look amazing. Wow.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
5/16/11 11:58 p.m.
gamby wrote: In reply to nderwater: Functionless, but damned if it doesn't look amazing. Wow.

I only half agree. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all, and I think the flush thing can certainly look very good, but not when it's pushed to that extreme. It looks like the rear wheel is one decent bump away from scraping the paint off the cleanly polished rear fender.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
5/17/11 12:02 a.m.

no wait, I got it now why i don't like that car. It's because, in my mind, the hellaflush aesthetic is about making the car look clean and smooth, like the air rushing by would just slip over the sides of the body and the wheels without any disturbance. If the wheels stick out of the body like in that NSX, it ruins the visual flow. In my mind.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
5/17/11 10:42 a.m.
nderwater wrote: Have to contribute...

Yuck.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
5/17/11 12:40 p.m.

The only kind of stance I can dig. Built to be functional, fast, and thats it.

Speed is beautiful, poorly modified suspension is not.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
5/17/11 12:44 p.m.

Look at those wheelgaps! oh noes!

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/17/11 4:27 p.m.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
5/17/11 5:59 p.m.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
5/17/11 6:35 p.m.
nderwater wrote: Have to contribute...

I hate stretched tires and wheels with no lip so much. Combining the two makes it even worse

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
11/20/13 7:49 a.m.

Ghost bump.

Are those stickers still happening?

kanaric
kanaric Reader
11/20/13 7:58 a.m.

it's to the point where the word stance pisses me off. I heard some kid whose in the air force say he bought a pitbull and started talking about it's stance as if that's why he bought it. I wanted to slap sense into him.

idk what is more cringeworthy a word, stance or slammed. I have the same reaction to both like the people in that "tinny" python skit.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
11/20/13 12:39 p.m.

I put 'slammed' and 'stanced' in different categories. IMO someone who refers to a car as 'slammed' is more likely to be referring to something that doesn't bother me.

For me it really comes down to the camber. I don't even mind wheels sticking well out of the bodywork in certain cases as long as they have street-appropriate levels of negative camber.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
11/20/13 1:45 p.m.

I seem to be "That Guy" who always takes up a fad just as the tide changes direction!

Anyways, in this case, the Hellaflush look might be more of a case of Hellawayoutofabind! Who knew that Miata suspension under a P1800 would be this tight!

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
11/20/13 3:36 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: I seem to be "That Guy" who always takes up a fad just as the tide changes direction! Anyways, in this case, the Hellaflush look might be more of a case of Hellawayoutofabind! Who knew that Miata suspension under a P1800 would be this tight!

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter sir!

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
11/20/13 9:21 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Ghost bump. Are those stickers still happening?

Yes, just noticed this. Are these stickers still happening?

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
11/20/13 10:27 p.m.
Javelin wrote: I say GRM brings back the wicked 70's un-frush look that that Javelin pulled of so well. To wit,

I literally smelt gasoline just by looking at this picture. Great stuff.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
11/21/13 1:54 a.m.

I really like the flush look when combined with a big sidewall.

By way of demonstration ...

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
11/21/13 8:56 a.m.

Ask Google and found the sticker still for sale here: http://hellafunctional.com/?page_id=515

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/21/13 9:47 a.m.

Ben has one of those on swank force one.....Although his appears to be in the same font as the hellaflush ones.

I'd just like 2000 "HellaFail" windshield banners and a get out of jail free card.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/21/13 9:50 a.m.
yamaha wrote: Ben has one of those on swank force one.....Although his appears to be in the same font as the hellaflush ones.

I have one on the Civic.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/21/13 9:50 a.m.

No, i have one of the ones from the Texas A&M boys.

"HELLAFUNCTIONAL Performance is Everything."

I have a spare 1 or 2 for future use.

8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lXV9qWioyUFDQOQr0F7R8dZb52gQu2yKRJoM05vnb1eIfw32GkjnCJXtp89hLfgg