You guys make me smile.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/26/15 6:28 p.m.
Maniac0301
Maniac0301 New Reader
10/26/15 6:56 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/_meHP_ZrliU

There is a 160hp Supercharged version which became the standard engine in the us in 1996 and 1997 unfortunately none of these were manual. Toyota even placed the accessories in the front driven by a front accessory drive shaft to deliver a near 50/50 weight distribution.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/26/15 6:59 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: is maintaining full 'soccer-mom' capabilities required for class participation?

Aristocrats were not required to keep leather or even paint.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 New Reader
10/26/15 7:06 p.m.

And dont forget about a the 1st generation Mazda MPV which has available AWD and a 3.0l V6 making 200hp.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZidEs8V2iKg

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
10/26/15 7:12 p.m.

If we can find a way to get the totalled buick fixed and 2 cars down, there will be a rendezvous there. As of right now thats total back burner stuff as improving the Z for a higher finish is 100x more important

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
10/26/15 7:38 p.m.

what about wagons? The original soccer mom vehicle.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/26/15 7:55 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: John's Q45 proved that a stock luxury barge can be a path to GRM challenge success. Two solid 11th place finishes in a row is nothing to scoff at, and he resoundly proved that there is room at the challenge for unlikely vehicles. This year 7 of the 50 some odd challenge vehicles were Aristocrats. The racing was great and three of us went into the drags separated by less then a tenth of a second. After the drags were done four of us were still battling for the trophy. The final standings came down to the concours. Sure none of the Aristocrats were in contention for the top prize but almost all of them finished in the top half of the standings and we all had a great time. We discussed the success of the aristocrats with several of the magazine staff members over the course of the weekend and floated a proposal of something a little different for next year. I brought it up at the town hall meeting and it seemed like everyone was on board. So obviously a Miata, a Mustang or 3 series is the easy answer but how fast can one go in a.... Minivan? Well next year we intent to find out, enter the soccer mom class. Minivans exist in all manners of flavor. RWD, FWD, AWD, mid engined, you name it they are out there. They are cheap, and everywhere, what more could you ask for in a challenge car? (Don't answer that it was a rhetorical question) Will an all wheel drive Astro be "the answer", a turbo dodge caravan, a supercharged previa, or a J powered Odyssey with its glass transmission? Who knows but I can't wait to see where this goes... So next year lets see what you got... I will be there with one as will several others.

ARNOLD APPROVED photo ARNOLD APPROVED_zpsedhykrpg.jpg

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/26/15 8:23 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: what about wagons? The original soccer mom vehicle.

It was discussed but wagons really just leave you searching for a sedan with a different rear window. Lots of easy b-body and g-body answers.

Part of the goal was to try to change the answer to the question often asked on this board.
That question is always some form of, "baby(s) on the way; what new car? No minivan."

I would rather the question was, "baby(s) on the way. Which minivan and which mods?"

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
10/26/15 8:43 p.m.

How about an AWD 1997-2005 Pontiac Montana (GM U body, successor to the old "dustbuster" minivans) with a Series II 3800SC swapped in. Pretty sure I could find the van and the engine for about 500 each. Everything should bolt together like legos, just have to figure out the ECM and wiring. Or just turbo the 3.4.. Hopefully the transmission will hold up long enough for a few neutral drops at the drags.. EDIT: Just did a wiki search and the second gen came with the 3.9, which is a 240 horse variant of the 3.4, wonder if they have any cams available?

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
10/26/15 8:57 p.m.

Pretty sure you could get a u-van with a 3800, just not the versatrak ones. Honestly the 3400 wiring should pretty much plug into a 3800, and hptuners can reflash the pcm

drdisque
drdisque Reader
10/26/15 9:14 p.m.

Great looking base vehicle for someone looking for a lightweight soccer mom platform: http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/5249692331.html

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
10/26/15 9:32 p.m.

Does this count?

Just acquired for $200 and drove it home!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
10/26/15 9:58 p.m.

I've thought about a 3rd gen Caravan (because the older ones have rusted to nothing) with a big V8 in the second row (and nothing under the hood) before, probably using the front output of a transfer case driving a backwards rear axle trick to fit an actual transmission and drive shaft long enough to get acceptable travel out of a stick axle. Something like a 454 Chevy 4x4, or Ford with a 460 would be a good donor. You could definitely do that for challenge money with scrap the way it is.

captdownshift
captdownshift UltraDork
10/26/15 9:59 p.m.

I look forward to a 13B powered Mazda 5.

codrus
codrus Dork
10/26/15 10:17 p.m.

How can this image be missing from the "inspiration" section?

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
10/26/15 10:39 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Does this count? Just acquired for $200 and drove it home!

Hey I've got one of those like the one in the back that I bought for 500 a few years back. doubt mine would make it to the challenge in one piece much less compete.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/26/15 10:44 p.m.

So now I have just spent the last hour researching what it would take to put a Chevy/GMC van body on to a C5 rolling chasie.. . Yes I need to do that.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/26/15 10:50 p.m.
oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
10/26/15 11:04 p.m.

Anything is possible if you are willing to change the wheelbase, and a van is probably the easiest vehicle to do it in.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/27/15 3:37 a.m.
Maniac0301 wrote: And dont forget about a the 1st generation Mazda MPV which has available AWD and a 3.0l V6 making 200hp. https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZidEs8V2iKg

I have a last year 1st gen MPV...the v6 is rated more like 160 hp I believe.

Wow I better get a for sale ad together. I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of it...definitely challenge priced. Starts, runs, drives, needs work, looks decent.

The trans is the same as the pathfinder. And 300zx. Hence why there's a 300zxtt swapped one running around. Google mpvtt

bluej
bluej SuperDork
10/27/15 6:48 a.m.
failboat wrote:
Maniac0301 wrote: And dont forget about a the 1st generation Mazda MPV which has available AWD and a 3.0l V6 making 200hp. https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZidEs8V2iKg
I have a last year 1st gen MPV...the v6 is rated more like 160 hp I believe. Wow I better get a for sale ad together. I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of it...definitely challenge priced. Starts, runs, drives, needs work, looks decent. The trans is the same as the pathfinder. And 300zx. Hence why there's a 300zxtt swapped one running around. Google mpvtt

It is?! (The trans). Guess I know what to do w/ those adapter plates I made for attaching a 4.8 LS to the trans in my aborted $2013 project 87 200sx SE.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
10/27/15 6:52 a.m.

All this talk of Vans and all my mind conjures up is this stuff going on all over the slalom course:

I guess it will be a good change from just shagging cones.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
10/27/15 7:25 a.m.

I've ridden in a previa on an autocross. We let the dude do one run, then banned the vehicle.

it two wheeled a few times...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WGCFpuQH0brgHETkeCs8UtdSltbqXQ9y5ytOasGbijYaEQLPHxNWqZx7xnFu618l