GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
8/11/09 10:42 a.m.

After I went offroading on Saturday, I noticed that the Samurai's steering box now had a fresh coat of oil that seemed to come from the top. It could have something to do with the sharp inclines I was on, or the bouncing. So I topped up the fluid last night and closed the filler plug (plastic bolt, may not be the stock plug) as tight as I could safely get it - it's pretty tight but I can sort of squeeze a fingernail under there. I cleaned up the steering box enough to see any fresh leaks.

This morning I moved it from the driveway to the usual parking place and saw a little seepage around the filler cap again, I figured the slight tilting was just causing some to come out as I filled it right to the top (as the factory service manual says to do), cleaned it up again.

Just now I went to check on it and there's a lot of leakage (probably a bit more than a tablespoon) again from the filler cap at the top. The steering box was exposed to extreme sunlight for a few hours. Is this normal? If the filler cap isn't sealing properly, should I try to seal it? I could get a metal bolt with a copper washer...

RossD
RossD HalfDork
8/11/09 10:48 a.m.

Are you missing a rubber O-ring?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
8/11/09 10:54 a.m.
RossD wrote: Are you missing a rubber O-ring?

I don't know But sealing it IS an option...

Hal
Hal HalfDork
8/11/09 2:40 p.m.

If it is only leaking around the filler plug rather than a shaft seal it shouldn't be a big problem. As Ross suggested find a rubber O-ring to fit on the plug and try that first. Since you aren't sure that it is the factory plug I would check that also.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZZ0xTBXRya75ymHvi1cODG5jldRuNUFhhZjDxMNZZR2NUCs4wNBuRiMq4t8ioIuV