AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/11/22 9:54 p.m.

CA and the entire country have energy problems.  Our entire society is addicted to energy.  No one seems to understand the difference between reliable energy and renewable energy.  No one wants to spend money on improving the grid or building power plants.  It's a perfect storm.  Don't even worry about the fact that most of the energy producing population in this country is my age or older.  I'm sure it'll all be fine......  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/11/22 10:07 p.m.

Pulled 85kWh off the roof today. If I keep that up all month, I'll get 10k miles worth of fuel for $175. 

That's like 70c/gallon for a 40 mpg car. 

3/11/22 10:14 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Yes but what did the roof cost and is it paid for?  To me the biggest advantage of having your own power sources is reliability.  In our power hungry society and our gov't planning, reliability will become more important before things improve.  

Our new house will get a substantial backup generator.  Maybe we will add solar too.  We will definitely look into it.  I know I'm adding 3 220V outlets in the garage already.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/12/22 12:16 a.m.

The $175 is the monthly cost of the roof with no down payment, which is where that number came from. If it was paid for, the cost would be $0.

We don't have battery backup in place so we're not independent, but our power and fuel costs are now known and fixed. I've considered a whole house NG gennie, now I'm thinking Leaf-based Powerwall. 

If you're looking at a separate garage, make sure the cabling connecting it to the house is rated for a future array if that's where the roof will go. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/12/22 12:25 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

You are like me. We can afford alternatives and choices.  The back up generator depends on outside energy sources while solar panels are you generating your own energy. 

3/12/22 2:22 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

After I get the backup reliable system installed, I will look at renewable.  There is good chance I will retire in this next house.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/12/22 9:43 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The $175 is the monthly cost of the roof with no down payment, which is where that number came from. If it was paid for, the cost would be $0.

We don't have battery backup in place so we're not independent, but our power and fuel costs are now known and fixed. I've considered a whole house NG gennie, now I'm thinking Leaf-based Powerwall. 

If you're looking at a separate garage, make sure the cabling connecting it to the house is rated for a future array if that's where the roof will go. 

I've been looking at NG back up generators as well. We haven't lost power for an extended time in the last few months, but yesterday was third time in 4 weeks we've received snow in OKC.

The last time we lost power during an ice/snow storm, it got all the way down to 49° in the house before the power came back.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/12/22 10:00 a.m.

This might not work...

And it didnt. 

FB users can probably follow the link.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=531445871644635&id=100043376811251

Mustang50
Mustang50 Reader
3/12/22 1:08 p.m.

Face it this is a complex and controversial issue.  Unfortunately the people who have the power to help fix it probably do not drive cars or even have a drivers license.  To them a car is an appliance required by lesser individuals.   Personally I have a 25 year old car that I still love to drive, and it will pass the emissions test required in Ohio.  I'm retired and I will probably buy an EV as my next daily driver, hopefully someone will have developed a breakthrough battery by then.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/13/22 1:37 p.m.

In reply to Mustang50 :

Russia sells us 4% of the oil we consume.  Meanwhile the oil companies have 9000 proven well sites that are already permitted and ready to go. Here in the US 
     Fracking makes money any time crude is above $60 a barrel  yet no fracking is going on. 
     I've noticed a lot of maintenance  suddenly going on at local refineries. 
   But some probably think I'm just paranoid. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/13/22 4:55 p.m.
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/13/22 5:28 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

CA and the entire country have energy problems.  Our entire society is addicted to energy.  No one seems to understand the difference between reliable energy and renewable energy.  No one wants to spend money on improving the grid or building power plants.  It's a perfect storm.  Don't even worry about the fact that most of the energy producing population in this country is my age or older.  I'm sure it'll all be fine......  

Things change.  Instead of coal fired generators more and more power of the sun will be used. My energy company will put the panels up for no money out of my pocket and they can pay for themselves.  Plus I get the tax deduction.

No that doesn't fill all of my energy needs. But there are these wind generators going up all over  that will help.  Then Minnesota is the head waters to the Mississippi River (Gulf of Mexico) Red river of the north ( Hudson Bay ) and the Great Lakes. That means we have a bunch of water flowing out of our state to gather energy from.   Oh and there are a few nuclear generators here too.  
 My point is there isn't a finite amount of energy to capture. It's limited only by our imagination and willingness to invest. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/13/22 5:39 p.m.
Mustang50 said:

Face it this is a complex and controversial issue.  Unfortunately the people who have the power to help fix it probably do not drive cars or even have a drivers license.  To them a car is an appliance required by lesser individuals.   Personally I have a 25 year old car that I still love to drive, and it will pass the emissions test required in Ohio.  I'm retired and I will probably buy an EV as my next daily driver, hopefully someone will have developed a breakthrough battery by then.

You don't need a break through battery. Current batteries will do just fine for your needs. 
     Average EV's can go to town several times before running out. And plug into those fast chargers for 15 minutes and you can go another 150 miles. 
   It's just a little different than buying gas.   Instead of paying $5.00+ a gallon it's closer to 70 cents. Maybe less depending on where you live. 
   Jump on the interstate and about when you have to go to the bathroom or are Hungary ( or both)  there will be a place that can take care of all 3, Battery juice, bathroom, and meal. 

It's not a pipe dream they are already there.  Soon gas stations will have charging stations. ( they make more money on food than gas anyway).  Well, except a fill up won't be over $50. It will be under $20. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/13/22 5:58 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

We'll, it is an xfi 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/13/22 10:12 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Mustang50 :

Russia sells us 4% of the oil we consume.  Meanwhile the oil companies have 9000 proven well sites that are already permitted and ready to go. Here in the US 
     Fracking makes money any time crude is above $60 a barrel  yet no fracking is going on. 
     I've noticed a lot of maintenance  suddenly going on at local refineries. 
   But some probably think I'm just paranoid. 

Having a lease to explore X land is not the same as it having proven reserves, or financially viable reserves.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/13/22 10:23 p.m.

A young guy at work has a beater car with problems and he's thinking of looking at a new car.

Then he said it might be a bad idea getting a gas car since all cars will be electric in 4-5 years.  

I just said - oh yeah?

Panhandler
Panhandler New Reader
3/13/22 10:52 p.m.

If we all stopped driving for two weeks, maybe we could flatten the curve...

Oh sorry, wrong crisis.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/14/22 12:07 p.m.

Crude is down nearly 8% today. 

Will we see that reflected at the pumps? 

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
3/14/22 12:10 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Hopefully.  At least the price climb around here seems to have stagnated since about Friday. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/14/22 12:34 p.m.

Anyone ever look around and think that Fuel prices in the USA were way too low for a long time?

It is kind of the same deal where we pass the national debt and environmental mess on to the next and next and next generation until someday someone has to pay the bill? TAG, we is IT!

Just a thought.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/14/22 1:07 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

It dropped that much here over the weekend.

I posted exactly a week ago I paid $4.71/g, and I did that knowing it was supposed to go up the next day, and it did. Then I think it did again, and I just filled up now at $4.52/g. So far the prices are not reflecting what all the experts were predicting it would be right now.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/14/22 1:17 p.m.

In reply to Panhandler :

yeah but that 2 weeks would turn into 2 years. 

3/14/22 1:55 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

It takes a while, but yes.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/14/22 2:03 p.m.

There is a Chevy Spark listed on the Chevrolet website for less than 20K. I don't know if you can actually get one or just get your name on the waiting list.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/14/22 2:31 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Anyone ever look around and think that Fuel prices in the USA were way too low for a long time?

It is kind of the same deal where we pass the national debt and environmental mess on to the next and next and next generation until someday someone has to pay the bill? TAG, we is IT!

Just a thought.

The reason fuel in America is so much lower than the rest of the civilized world is because we don't tax it accordingly.  The $7-9 prices paid globally reflect oil purchased at about the same price we pay.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VLlwckKVeEQ8LubSVg91iDKMB4lhARdNyQ35q2cENHLYhoRC79aFtKLySuhrRirO