Contradiction
Contradiction HalfDork
9/13/18 8:59 p.m.

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be doing an autocross this weekend and since it's a bit further away from me I'm considering taking a more "scenic route" the day before  and staying in the area for the night.  There's a good chance that I may end up one a gravel road or two in this adventure.

I have Direzza ZII Star Specs on the car for my track wheels, and I have neither the space inside the car really or the patience to parking lot swap them before the event starts.  I normally throw them on the car before I leave and drive to the event with them on.  it's not like they are full on track compound tires.  They can be street driven of course.

So here's my question, is it bad to drive tires like this on full on gravel?  

Is there any chance I could embed some of it on them?

This will be more then the average rocks I pick up driving on the road or in an autocross lot so that's the reason I'm concerned.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/13/18 9:04 p.m.

Bad for your paint maybe (they will pick up & throw rocks more than a crappy all season), but that's about it.

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
9/13/18 10:10 p.m.

Having driven on gravel at 80-90 mph on sticky R compound tires I suspect you'll be fine.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/14/18 8:16 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Bad for your paint maybe (they will pick up & throw rocks more than a crappy all season), but that's about it.

This. This is the only real concern.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
9/14/18 8:39 a.m.

Yep. By the time you get up to highway speed on pavement most all of the rocks will have been thrown by the tires.

A side benefit of the higher speed ratings on our performance tires is that they generally have stronger belts that are more resistant to rock punctures. You should be fine.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/14/18 8:43 a.m.

I live on a gravel road. I autox and I've had RE-71's, RS-3's and Rival-S's. I got full seasons + out of all of them. 

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
9/14/18 9:04 a.m.

Most "soft" tires will not pick up that much until they get warm. Most of my DOT race tires will pick up some stones when cold but they won't imbed themselves in the rubber.  That only happens when they get hot, like just off the track after a 30 minute race hot.

TopNoodles
TopNoodles New Reader
9/14/18 7:41 p.m.

I know very little about tires but my RE-71R's have seen a lot of gravel since they were on the car when I bought it. I've put 10k on them so far and they still look fine to me, other than being a little dusty.

Contradiction
Contradiction HalfDork
9/14/18 8:59 p.m.

Thanks everyone, sounds like I have nothing to worry about. :)

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
9/14/18 9:57 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX0IkVMIHsA

Slicks.  Very soft slicks.

Cadman5
Cadman5 New Reader
9/14/18 10:20 p.m.

I have the Direzzas on my DD Miata and live on a gravel road. They pick up and spit out gravel a little more than all seasons, but I've never had damage or a wear issue. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tNsjUoNH8Fkmg41x6oU4oG8b4FWFfJxut7Cd57A0Ygm4orNUtXG9QbC84JREYGPU