1 2
Opti
Opti Dork
10/3/22 9:33 p.m.

Apparently in California, Veloster and Elantra Ns are being cited for exhaust when it stock, and in some cases having their registration pulled.

Found a couple posts on some hyundai forums and reddit. The Hyundai guys seem to say it's pretty common, some get it dropped easily and some have more problems like the guy In the article.

https://www.motor1.com/news/614016/cop-elantra-n-owner-stock-exhaust-loud/

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/3/22 9:52 p.m.

If I was a Hyundai executive over this car line I would laugh.........ha ha ha 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/3/22 10:06 p.m.

When I had my 2009 WRX it had the SPT package (including SPT exhaust). It wasn't super-loud, but had two fairly large muffler exit pipes and was stainless steel/shiny and looked aftermarket. I used to carry my dealer window sticker in the glove box listing it as factory option (though I think it was a port-installed option, in reality), in case I ever got pulled over. My county was pretty notorious for exhaust tickets in the 2000s-2015 or so.

Oddly, in 180k in a modded WRX I never once got pulled over. Go figure. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/3/22 10:18 p.m.

In 2002, got an illegal taillight ticket for having "clear turn signal" on the rear on my 1991 Integra RS.  Tails were stock, but Fremont CA police thought otherwise. Had to get a letter from Acura and go to court to get it dismissed. 

2008, Ticket for clear taillights on my IS300 Sport Cross in Santa Monica - bone stock car. Again had to fight in court to "prove car was stock" 

2019 - ticket for having loud exhaust in my Elise (century city CA). Had to go to court to prove exhaust was stock. 

Fun times... 

0 speeding tickets in life 

Drive like grandpa on the street. Even though most of the time cars are modded and sport in nature.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/3/22 10:35 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

In 2002, got an illegal taillight ticket for having "clear turn signal" on the rear on my 1991 Integra RS.  Tails were stock, but Fremont CA police thought otherwise. Had to get a letter from Acura and go to court to get it dismissed. 

2008, Ticket for clear taillights on my IS300 Sport Cross in Santa Monica - bone stock car. Again had to fight in court to "prove car was stock" 

2019 - ticket for having loud exhaust in my Elise (century city CA). Had to go to court to prove exhaust was stock. 

Fun times... 

0 speeding tickets in life 

Drive like grandpa on the street. Even though most of the time cars are modded and sport in nature.

These days you could just pull up a photo of a stock one one on your smartphone and show him lol.

Then again, plenty of cars these days with clear taillights (including a bunch of Lexus SUVs). 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/3/22 10:39 p.m.
Opti said:

Apparently in California, Veloster and Elantra Ns are being cited for exhaust when it stock, and in some cases having their registration pulled.

Found a couple posts on some hyundai forums and reddit. The Hyundai guys seem to say it's pretty common, some get it dropped easily and some have more problems like the guy In the article.

https://www.motor1.com/news/614016/cop-elantra-n-owner-stock-exhaust-loud/

That guy needs to thumb his nose at the California authorities and move here to Texas where we don't care how noisy your Hyundais are. Our gas is cheaper too.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/3/22 10:46 p.m.

Hyundai is probably busy enough with all the issues with their cars being easy to steal that they aren't spending much time thinking about loud exhausts.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/3/22 11:05 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

then i would get a ticket for using phone when driving

cant win out here.

best recent one was wifes brand new RCF driving from dealer. I am behind her in a 600hL. Police lights us up - stopped for no "front license plate."

Lmao - yes officer we are going home from dealership - car has 4 miles on it and look at rear dealer plates. 

15 min harassment lets us go. 

*irony is i have bunch of cars with no cats, , illegal tax dodging MT/SD plated cars, straight pipes, illegal tint, illegal motor (motor older than MY of car), modded ecu, bikes with no turn signals, with undertail exhausts - never pulled over - never say anything 

legal things - get pulled over 

gotta love it 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
10/4/22 7:19 a.m.

Got a fix-it ticket in my 2002 Lightning. One of the repair lines stated "clear tailights" and "illegal exhaust". The taillights were 100% stock for the 2001+ model years and every Lightning had a side exit exhaust(mine was stock at the time). Was thrown out by the MD State Trooper who did the inspection for the sign off. He knew what the truck was and didnt waste my time.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/4/22 7:55 a.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I got a parking ticket in Sacramento along with a ticket for no front plate. Both listed my Florida plate number on it. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/4/22 8:45 a.m.

Fiat Abarth 500 owners were apparently having the same issue under the California exhaust laws.

Tyler H
Tyler H UberDork
10/4/22 8:51 a.m.

This is a California problem, not a Hyundai problem.   The cops there seem to have a lot of time for selective enforcement of the law.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
10/4/22 9:48 a.m.

Man, these cops must not be in the Bay Area. I have heard about a thousand Chargers/Challengers that are off the charts loud. I can't even count the number of times I've heard/seen cars with SUPER loud exhausts and cops don't even bat an eye.

Did you all watch the video of the interaction? This cop is full of E36 M3. The way he's talking, "It's your money, not mine" and "I would sue them," the way he's throwing out dollar amounts is just totally weird to me. This cop is either the world's biggest jerk or this is all a hoax. 

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Dork
10/4/22 9:58 p.m.

As he wrote the ticket 5 straight piped Harleys drove by without notice I bet. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/4/22 10:24 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, but the income is lower and taxes are higher, and the electricity is somehow less reliable wink

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
10/4/22 10:44 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I got a parking ticket in Sacramento along with a ticket for no front plate. Both listed my Florida plate number on it. 

Similar.  Was on TDY orders, mailed in a redacted copy of the front page.  Never heard anything again, still not sure if I'm a wanted man in Cali.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
10/4/22 10:48 p.m.
CyberEric said:

Did you all watch the video of the interaction? This cop is full of E36 M3. The way he's talking, "It's your money, not mine" and "I would sue them," the way he's throwing out dollar amounts is just totally weird to me. This cop is either the world's biggest jerk or this is all a hoax. 

Seems fairly standard for most interactions with cops that I've had, no matter how respectful I am.  Telling them I have a concealed carry usually means I don't get asked to step out of the vehicle, but not always.

Had one clown try to tell me that my truck was never painted red, and when I showed him a dozen spots where red was showing underneath chipped white paint he tried to tell me that I needed to go to the DMV and get the VIN changed.   
"Sir, that's illegal on a federal level.  I'm not doing that."
"Well, its not on me if you get pulled over for driving a truck that doesn't match the VIN."

Why would someone say that? How would you even check that in such a manner that it would be probable cause to pull someone over? WTF?

aw614
aw614 Reader
10/5/22 11:18 a.m.

I parked near a stock Elantra N a few weeks ago and was actually shocked at how loud it was at idle. Haven't heard one while moving yet, (the one at an autocross ran in a run group I did not work and I was busy fixing my car).

10/5/22 11:27 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Yeah, but the income is lower and taxes are higher, and the electricity is somehow less reliable wink

Taxes are higher for who? I pay no state income tax and car registration fees are cheaper here. Salaries are going up in Dallas to about LA level in my field and housing prices are still reasonable.......if you bought your house 25 years ago like I did. devil

10/5/22 11:31 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
CyberEric said:

Seems fairly standard for most interactions with cops that I've had, no matter how respectful I am.  Telling them I have a concealed carry usually means I don't get asked to step out of the vehicle, but not always.

Had one clown try to tell me that my truck was never painted red, and when I showed him a dozen spots where red was showing underneath chipped white paint he tried to tell me that I needed to go to the DMV and get the VIN changed.   
"Well, its not on me if you get pulled over for driving a truck that doesn't match the VIN."

Why would someone say that? How would you even check that in such a manner that it would be probable cause to pull someone over? WTF?

I don't think the DMV has the right or the ability to change your VIN unless they have an official inspection showing it to be wrong. They can't just change your VIN. Change it to what? A number they made up?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
10/5/22 11:34 a.m.

Exactly.  I've heard a lot of stuff from authority figures thats just wrong, but I don't ever think I've heard something so wrong that it verged into stupid.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/5/22 11:44 a.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

I don't think the DMV has the right or the ability to change your VIN unless they have an official inspection showing it to be wrong. They can't just change your VIN. Change it to what? A number they made up?

In CA the DMV can assign VINs to newly constructed vehicles (think trailers or kit cars), but yeah, once a VIN has been assigned it doesn't get changed.

Suggestion I've seen as to how to work around the situation is to take the muffler off, do a visual inspection of the sealing flange, replace the gasket (maybe it was leaking!), and reinstall. Call that an "attempted fix", go back for a retest, and make sure they test in normal mode as per the specified procedure this time.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
10/5/22 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

You don't have to be smart to be a cop. Most of them don't know the law. 

They can't any more than you can because there are 100s of 1000s of pages of stupid rules and regulations and they pass 100os more every year. 

Free country my ass. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/5/22 2:20 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
Mr_Asa said:
CyberEric said:

They don't change the VIN. They update the title to reflect the color change.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
10/5/22 2:26 p.m.
GTwannaB said:

As he wrote the ticket 5 straight piped Harleys drove by without notice I bet. 

I agree , there are a couple around here that kick off all the car alarms they are so loud ,  I guess I am just getting old !

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cZdt4fcfV7h7vqg84AD4jJoi5jm5CoSAg9tqqlDiIOHMJIXlB2w4wUlGsvxlgMv7