1 2
DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
2/14/15 5:48 p.m.

So me and a friend were sitting and discussing a few things, when we had this crazy idea to turn some spare parts i had laying around into a complete running vehicle. The list of major parts include a 63 CJ3b Jeep body and grille, a 76 CJ5 frame, an AMC 20 rear axle, a full set of leaf springs for that frame, a Chevy 307 and a th350 transmission. I wanna do a traditional style gasser with it. Anything specific I need to know to stay within the period correct style?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
2/14/15 6:15 p.m.

Sounds cool, build it how you want. You'll run into nothing but a E36 M3show asking others their opinions on what constitutes a "gasser", even here.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
2/14/15 6:15 p.m.

That it's going to be a handful with that short of wheelbase if you get any power out of the 307.

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
2/14/15 6:17 p.m.

I've got a set of 283 power pack heads I'm gonna port the thunder out of and a fairly decent sized cam for the 307. But I figure if LSX Willys can handle 700 or so in his, a ballpark of 300 would be manageable in mine

stanger_missle
stanger_missle Dork
2/14/15 6:21 p.m.

I'm a diehard Jeep guy and I wholeheartedly approve of builds like this.

How well would the CJ3 body fit on the CJ5 frame? CJ3s are tiny by modern standards.

Oh and a build thread is a must!

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
2/14/15 6:24 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle: I've had it mocked up before. It fit almost perfect. And I'll get a build thread going when it warms up and I go get all the stuff from my parents' house

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
2/14/15 6:27 p.m.

Here's how it looked before I tore it all down a couple years ago. It had an AMC 304 (utter garbage) and a 3 speed manual. But that is the 3b body sitting on the frame.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
2/14/15 6:34 p.m.

Man, go bagged like the hot rod roadkill jeep. It was soo badass.

Someday I'll build my own version of that freak.

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
2/14/15 6:37 p.m.

I actually talked to Finnegan at Drag Week 2013 about that Jeep. His word of advice was make sure I build it solid from the ground up. And I mean it's cool as all getout but I like the old school gasser stuff personally

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/14/15 11:52 p.m.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
2/15/15 7:01 a.m.

There was a guy racing Fastest Street Car in the late nineties in a jeep, it would wheel stand every gear. It was the best when he and Tony Christians 57 would be at the lights together. One stock bodied jeep vs a very unrealistic stretched plastic car. Two ways of doing everything.

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
2/16/15 6:25 p.m.

I'm glad to know I'm not the first with a crackpot idea like this one

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
2/16/15 7:41 p.m.

Gasser? You should probably post this question over on the HAMB. They'll be pretty excited and can help you out a lot.

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
2/16/15 9:09 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

I didn't think about that. I came here because I figured since it's a pile of spare parts turning into a running vehicle it'd be right up this forum's alley

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
2/16/15 9:56 p.m.

In reply to DCharger68:

I'm pretty sure he's joking. HAMB is infamous for its militant attitude about what's acceptable on their forum, calling this proposition a "traditional style gasser" would probably get you banned over there.

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
2/16/15 10:54 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

I posted the idea. They told me to scrap the idea and build it into a fuel altered. I think I'll stick to GRM for strange builds like this

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
2/16/15 11:02 p.m.

It took me a little bit but I found a pic that's kinda what I'm wanting. Only I don't want the tub chopped up as much and I want a roll bar. This one does have the right wheels though

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
2/17/15 1:41 a.m.

Sounds like a plan, and now that you bring it up this will end up a lot more like a fuel altered than a gasser.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
2/17/15 5:39 a.m.

In reply to DCharger68:

Oh, crap. I was totally being sarcastic. Sorry. I know how rigid that bunch usually is as Official Keepers Of The One True Hotrod.

You're in the right place here for sure. I think its a great idea. You have the parts, you like the idea, start bolting E36 M3 together!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/17/15 6:22 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: In reply to DCharger68: Oh, crap. I was totally being sarcastic. Sorry. I know how rigid that bunch usually is as Official Keepers Of The One True Hotrod. You're in the right place here for sure. I think its a great idea. You have the parts, you like the idea, start bolting E36 M3 together!

I was wondering why you sent him there!?

I've been lurking on the HAMB for many a year and there is lots to learn. But the idea of joining such a narrowly focuse group is not my idea of a good time. I bet that as individuals, most of them are fine folk, but as a pack, they are pretty intolerant. I need a little more mental elbow room than they allow.

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
2/17/15 8:49 a.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

How will it be more like a fuel altered?

In reply to ultraclyde:

It's all good. But I'll have to wait until the snow clears now. I don't have a garage yet

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/17/15 9:00 a.m.

Auto-X Jeep?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/17/15 9:09 a.m.
DCharger68 wrote: In reply to Kenny_McCormic: How will it be more like a fuel altered? In reply to ultraclyde: It's all good. But I'll have to wait until the snow clears now. I don't have a garage yet

Mostly due to the short wheelbase. Fuel Altereds should be running Nitro engines also, just to keep the wacho meter pegged at full scale. The size of the body on a Fuel Altered should be no larger than the minimum required to contain the drivers Balls.

Notice how the driver is practicing proper eye-focus to control the direction of the vehicle during this common fuel altered maneuver.

Here is an exmple of why during the estate sale the front tires on an Altered always seem to be brand new.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/17/15 9:15 a.m.

Loved that Auto-X Jeep! But man does it cry out for a roll bar! Or maybe it's just that I'm a lot older than I used to be?

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
2/17/15 9:16 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:
DCharger68 wrote: In reply to Kenny_McCormic: How will it be more like a fuel altered? In reply to ultraclyde: It's all good. But I'll have to wait until the snow clears now. I don't have a garage yet
Mostly due to the short wheelbase. Fuel Altereds should be running Nitro engines also, just to keep the wacho meter pegged at full scale. The size of the body on a Fuel Altered should be no larger than the minimum required to contain the drivers Balls. Notice how the driver is practicing proper eye-focus to control the direction of the vehicle during this common fuel altered maneuver. Here is an exmple of why during the estate sale the front tires on an Altered always seem to be brand new.

This post made my day

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
fTuplqpe6wbBpXgoAESDV2gwTcrylT2B9PQhMvohHHq7Qk0BIDbJPJ9dHoMfDSPh