On the surface, a driver harness seems so simple: Some webbing is strapped across the driver’s hips and chest and secured to the car. Once you start considering the forces at work, though, it gets complicated. HMS Motorsport, the U.S. distributor for Schroth harnesses, publishes a harness safety ch…

Read the rest of the story

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
2/7/20 3:17 p.m.

Don't do this. If you're gonna use a six-point harness, use it correctly. This guy even has holes in the seat to properly use his harness and save his testicles, but he choose not to. He bought a six point harness and turned it into a five point.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
2/8/20 6:23 p.m.

I went through this with Midlana. I received contradictory advice from belt manufacturer websites regarding recommended belt routing and angles, which was surprising since the physics is the same. Had to just go with the set of instructions that seemed to make the most sense.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/12/21 2:13 p.m.

As an SRF racer, that cover photo gave me a cold shiver.

w123mb
w123mb None
10/25/21 4:51 p.m.

Whats the deal with harness bars? Everyone I've heard says just get a rear hoop, as it comes with roll-over protection. Is there a use case for harness bars in autox or hpdes?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
10/25/21 5:52 p.m.

In reply to w123mb :

There is no use case for harness bars. So close to a proper roll bar in cost, installation and making the back seat unusable, but more dangerous than stock safety gear. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
10/25/21 7:57 p.m.

In reply to w123mb :

Its a case of all or nothing. If you are using a harness it should be part of a roll hoop (at a minimum) and you should also be wearing some kind of head and neck device.

If you're not doing that then as Tom mentioned the standard factory 3 point is the way to go.

Our Preferred Partners
VzVfTHz7kTJD64pPUwH2pMKme94YzxxPBjbV9HQfSZLijGdfX7HDkay4k87Jy1xk