Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/31/20 1:29 p.m.

So, wanting to go universal coilover conversion on the challenge car. 

Problem is that the insides of the sleeve are 2.0 inches. The strut at the gold cap is 2.16

Can i remove or grind the cap? What happens? 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
3/31/20 1:31 p.m.

Unscrew the cap, cut off the spring perch, install sleeve, put cap back on.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/31/20 1:36 p.m.

The cap is threaded? Is this always true, or just this design?

Also, left hand or normal thread?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/31/20 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

That one looks like it might be crimped or friction welded or something, but lots of them are threaded.  Typically a large, regular direction thread- usually all it's doing is holding the strut insert in so that it doesn't all come apart during droop travel.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/31/20 1:44 p.m.

So, taking the cap off if crimp or friction welded: ruined strut (all the gas and oil come out? Springs pop everywhere?), or insert can fall out? Ruined strut bad.... 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/31/20 1:45 p.m.

Hard to know- most have inserts, but some do have all the internals just floating around in there, what are these for?  You could look up a strut insert installation for that car and it should tell you a lot about what's in there.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/31/20 1:51 p.m.

Its a first gen neon. 

With stagg aftermarket struts. Near as i can tell, the neon world never did much with inserts in the struts. Just went straight to koni.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/31/20 1:54 p.m.

Uh-oh, yeah probably avoid opening them if you can unless that thing is threaded, in which case just be careful.  Will the sleeve fit over the other parts of the housing once you clear that?

Dusterbd13-michael
3/31/20 2:00 p.m.

Yes. With a very light shave. Mostly just enough to get the paint off

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
3/31/20 2:02 p.m.

Taking 0.08" off the cap is a risk that I might take.  Go slowly and measure often.

If you have access to a lathe, taking a little off the inside of the sleeves would be a better solution and use O-rings to take us the slack at the strut.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/31/20 2:41 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Thats the thickness of the cap. So grinding the sides would take the cap off completely. 

dps214
dps214 Reader
3/31/20 5:35 p.m.

In theory that's just a press on cap that adds protection and strength to the seal area, and removing it won't do any damage as long as it goes back on before the shock goes in the car. In practice...I don't try to guess what kind of crazy things aftermarket companies do, especially ebay quality ones.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
3/31/20 5:48 p.m.

I thought neons preferred cutting the springs to length instead of adjusting newfangled collars of sorts.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/31/20 5:53 p.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

Its a distinct possibility at this point. I installed the coilover springs without the sleeves. And lifted the car....

captdownshift
captdownshift UltimaDork
3/31/20 6:24 p.m.

They are excellent Rallycross platforms 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yuyUWjdeHZCpEb2bcprvLmxx1BBFuAtsJrLUo3HUgOp7KjHAWRSJpNbAaGWRfT5J