noddaz
noddaz Reader
6/24/12 8:21 p.m.

While I was looking at info about The Phranc's AMC I was reminded of a idea that I have had before and never followed through on... Has anyone ever modified an AMC suspension to use a McPherson strut? I do not mean the high dollar sub frames and parts that go with them... I was thinking more along the lines of removing the lower spring pocket on top of the upper arm. The strut tube would extend through the former lower shock mount in the upper arm down to a mounting point on the lower control arm... I don't know if this would really gain anything for the car...

2nd idea would be to use Fox body Mustang type struts and knuckles and fabricate upper and lower spring seats from the lower arm and chassis for a set up similar to a Fox body Mustang. The idea here was to lose the high mounted weight of the upper arm and spring... Or has this been done?

To make clear... I was wondering about a GRM solution... I did Google AMC Suspensions and saw the $3700 solution... Which I am sure works very well.....

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
6/24/12 9:42 p.m.

I haven't done it, but have been doing some research. Not on an AMC, but I've been looking at the Fatman Fabrications kit for early Mustangs. Fatman Kit Scroll to the bottom.

They use SN95 Mustang spindles and the Fox style strut in their kit. Not cheap, but it might give you some ideas.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
6/24/12 10:58 p.m.

There's nothing wrong with the spring and shock in the AMC, it's the lower control arm that's weak. I've seen homebuilt tubular upper and lower A-arms using SN95 Mustang spindles and revised geometry that worked great.

Knurled
Knurled SuperDork
6/25/12 10:31 p.m.

It's only a strut if the sliding portion is part of the knuckle.

Yeah those AMCs are goofy.

Interesting that SOMEBODY finally came out with a setup for early Mustangs that gets rid of the upper control arm and goes with a strut arrangement. Goodbye goofy camber curve. Also, apparently, allows you to do some serious notching for headers.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cGwA2O3w0dBHtvnx3ArHF2FfDmov6k1nIzhg4zoFPgz9PrkDQbVz5wrcTpjQw5gF