Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/11/08 7:04 p.m.

My daughter bought a 1998 Impreza Wagon. It is in great codition except for one thing (which I found out). The clucth slips when the car is launched hard. She doesn't do it so she didn't know about it. I need to find a good clutch at a decent price. Cheapest I have seen have been at Advance Auto, but don't know how good they are. Also, I cannot find a repair manual form the Gen I Impreza. She also wants me to ask if here Impreza Sport Hood Scoop can be made functional. I haven't looked.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/11/08 8:38 p.m.

My daughter also drives a '98 Impreza wagon.

So what's wrong with a slipping clutch on hard launches if she never launches hard? I understand this would not be satisfactory for performance driving, but it discourages crazy driving, and probably will last a pretty long time as is. Just a thought.

I've left my son's slipping clutch alone for 2 years. I feel better about his driving.

Am I understanding that you are unsatisfied with a clutch that serves it's purpose for the driving conditions it is subjected to, but would rather put in the cheapest one you can find?

What function would you like the hood scoop to serve? An STI or a WRX use it to draw air through the top mount intercooler. Your car has neither an intercooler nor a turbo. But I'm sure it could make a heck of a nice coffee cooler.

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/11/08 9:19 p.m.

She plans on autocrossing it. It already has KYB AGX shocks and SPT springs and she was the NE PA region FSPL autocross champ for 2006.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd HalfDork
7/11/08 9:36 p.m.

Subarus have too much grip for hard launches. Either the tires or the clutch need to slip or the expensive stuff starts breaking.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/11/08 10:48 p.m.

OK, so if she's an autox champ, tell me again why you'd want the cheapest clutch you can find??

I'm not trying to be a butthead, I'm just observing the criteria you have shared with a little smile on my face.

Oh, and what was the function you were looking for for that hood scoop?

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/12/08 2:07 a.m.

The hood scoop can be made functional by putting a functional intercooler and turbocharger below it. Do you want a good clutch or a cheap clutch or something in between? Surely you're not asking us if the cheapest clutch you can find is good...with a straight face.

Bryce

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/12/08 8:29 a.m.

She is a college student on a budget and the engine is in stock form. A Centerforce Dual Friction is probably overkill and an OEM clutch is probably too expensive. Basically I want something better than teh Advance Auto $159 clutch, but she is not paying $500+ for a lucth which is overkill.

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/12/08 8:31 a.m.

If the hood scoop can be made functional, one can route cold air to the TB more efficiently. She has the scoop anyway, all it is doing now is creating drag,

yo vanilla
yo vanilla New Reader
7/12/08 8:38 a.m.
Moparman wrote: If the hood scoop can be made functional, one can route cold air to the TB more efficiently. She has the scoop anyway, all it is doing now is creating drag,

You could do it that way, but I bet the stock flat "trumpet" the WRX uses to route air from the front of the hood to the air box would be just as effective if not more. If anything the hood scoop could be used for more effective engine cooling. But how hot will the engine get in the first place?

To the OP: just buy an OEM clutch. You know it's good quality that way. If the dealer charges too much, search online. Try boxer4racing.com, subiedude.com or oakos.com for starters

edit, I just checked boxer4racing and they have the OEM WRX clutch for $249 anyway

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/12/08 9:40 a.m.

Got a "Perection" clutch (Parent of Zoom Clutches) for $215. Fits the bill nicely.

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/12/08 9:42 a.m.

Thanks. I was trying to find a good Subie parts supplier. I got a Perfection clutch for $215 locally. Still looking for a repair manual for the Gen I Impreza. Neither Haynes, nor Chilton make one.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
7/12/08 12:47 p.m.

Look on E-bay for factory service manuals.

As for the scooped hood, I know an auto-xer with a Impreza Outback who replaced the scooped hood with a stock hood like mine because the USDM steel scooped hood is heavier than the plain hood. He says he can't tell the difference in terms of engine temperature. The JDM scooped hood found on WRXs and STis is aluminum, so it's lighter than both USDM parts.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/13/08 4:51 p.m.

I can vouch for that. I put a RS hood on our L and it is noticeably porkier. That said, I probably will have the scooped hood for sale should anyone be interested.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UIbp9uj7xSxcoUu4cFn7x4MunIBulS2LeVQfwvDz3PWnvNBh0eT3wI0ZWr3rfNxz