1 2
moxnix
moxnix Reader
2/8/13 7:19 a.m.
Slyp_Dawg wrote: I'd love to give that a shot! what's the policy as far as convertibles w/ removable hardtops goes? all I have is the Miata (FM2.0 suspension kit with some random Hancook all-seasons, a Hard Dog HCHT bar and a Beatrush front undertray) and my Mini, but that isn't exactly cut out for rally usage (hateful enough to drive over poorly maintained city streets, I can't imagine a dirt course will be too much nicer to it). If convertibles are allowed (with their hardtops on), would I be ill advised to run a rallycross in a Miata with a Flyin Miata suspension setup on it? (sits about 3/4-1" lower than stock, or about the same height as it did when I first got it when it had 15 year old factory springs)

We follow SCCA policy "A RallyCross event is open to any fixed-roof production based vehicle (including convertibles with a factory hardtop attached) that can pass safety inspection"

If you are a bit careful it should be fine. I am out there with a stock height 88 RX-7.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/8/13 8:01 a.m.
EvanB wrote:
cghstang wrote: I want to try and get over to one of the two day events this year. Hopefully I can convince some one with a turbo miata to go.
No convincing needed, I was thinking the same thing.

+1 except in an RX7. We will have to midwest caravan down there to an event.

Slyp_Dawg wrote: I'd love to give that a shot! what's the policy as far as convertibles w/ removable hardtops goes? all I have is the Miata (FM2.0 suspension kit with some random Hancook all-seasons, a Hard Dog HCHT bar and a Beatrush front undertray) and my Mini, but that isn't exactly cut out for rally usage (hateful enough to drive over poorly maintained city streets, I can't imagine a dirt course will be too much nicer to it). If convertibles are allowed (with their hardtops on), would I be ill advised to run a rallycross in a Miata with a Flyin Miata suspension setup on it? (sits about 3/4-1" lower than stock, or about the same height as it did when I first got it when it had 15 year old factory springs)

The issue (in my opinion) with miatas on rallycross is suspension travel, also with yours lowered depending on the surface of the event it could hurt or help.

phenryiv1
phenryiv1 New Reader
2/8/13 8:03 a.m.
irish44j wrote: There are probably about 10 GRM forum people that run out there (and several more with GRM stickers that don't come on the forum). Decided what you're going to pick up yet? go for this: why, you might ask? because the seller specifically says: " It is a great autocross car, some people love it for rallycross (Never rallyx'd) but no matter where you are driving you will be smiling." he KNOWS http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/3551528543.html

White..89...coupe...manual...

Fuxorz why don't I buy that...?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/8/13 9:31 a.m.

FM V-MAXX coilovers and NB tophats.

Good times were had.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
2/8/13 5:39 p.m.

Miata is fine with a hardtop, though if you're lowered could be a bit sketchy if you drive like a madman. You would probably be ok if you're driving reasonably, lol. Miatas are great for rallycross (I think one won the national championships for one or two RWD classes last year). We had a stock-height Mini run last year at one event, looked like he did fine.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
2/8/13 5:40 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: FM V-MAXX coilovers and NB tophats. Good times were had.

while you're at it, help me recruit local Miata guys:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=488860

I think they're a bit scurred ;)

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
2/8/13 6:07 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: FM V-MAXX coilovers and NB tophats. Good times were had.

That color scheme looks familiar.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/8/13 6:28 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Hard enough getting most of them to autocross.

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
2/8/13 8:58 p.m.
irish44j wrote: (I think one won the national championships for one or two RWD classes last year).

SR, PR, and second in MR. (Sorry Chris)

Tulsa is a very smooth, very slippery site compared to what we're used to.

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
2/8/13 9:50 p.m.
irish44j wrote: because the seller specifically says: " It is a great autocross car, some people love it for rallycross (Never rallyx'd) but no matter where you are driving you will be smiling." he KNOWS http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/3551528543.html

Dangit Josh, why'd you have to go and post that E30? I don't need another car....

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
2/8/13 11:21 p.m.

Carl, don't buy it. I don't need any MORE fast guys in MR to run against

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
2/9/13 7:48 a.m.
irish44j wrote: There are probably about 10 GRM forum people that run out there (and several more with GRM stickers that don't come on the forum). Decided what you're going to pick up yet? go for this: why, you might ask? because the seller specifically says: " It is a great autocross car, some people love it for rallycross (Never rallyx'd) but no matter where you are driving you will be smiling." he KNOWS http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/3551528543.html

I saw that and want to buy it! I've got to put it on hold. They are inducing my fiancee here in a couple days so that is taking priority! If you want to purchase it for me I'll gladly pay you for it+$100. Sounds like a good deal right? :)

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
2/9/13 7:52 a.m.

There is another one on NASIOC in the MAIC for sale section for $1500 as well. Needs some TLC and a new rear bumper. But like I said in previous post.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
2/9/13 3:58 p.m.

hmm...how did I not notice one in MAIC? I'm in there all the time...

Sorry, can't help you out though. My federal-worker ass is about to get furloughed when sequestration hits....so money's gonna be a bit tight

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
2/9/13 5:10 p.m.

I'm in the same boat. I was on active orders that got cut because of the sequester, land a yob up here, move the family, and have to worry about it all over again. I do have some job security though so I'm not to stressed but you never know what could happen. Maybe I could talk the in-laws into helping out so they don't have to get a rental car every time they visit lol.

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
2/10/13 7:51 a.m.
irish44j wrote: Sorry, can't help you out though. My federal-worker ass is about to get furloughed when sequestration hits....so money's gonna be a bit tight

+1 Still thinking about that E30 though...

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg HalfDork
2/10/13 3:47 p.m.

First time out rallyXing, definitely won't be driving like a madman although my competitive side definitely will be showing... if I can find a place to stay the weekend of May 24 and have the money for the entry fee and day license, I'll definitely be there!

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
2/10/13 4:58 p.m.
Slyp_Dawg wrote: First time out rallyXing, definitely won't be driving like a madman although my competitive side definitely will be showing... if I can find a place to stay the weekend of May 24 and have the money for the entry fee and day license, I'll definitely be there!

you mean March 24th, right?

What will you be driving?

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg HalfDork
2/10/13 5:49 p.m.

Doh yeah March 24th, and I'll be in the Miata

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
2/11/13 7:11 p.m.

I will most def be out there don't know if I'll run in the WRX because it is the only car we have right now. I still have to fly down to Florida and drive the fiances car up. But I will be there to watch and get a feel for it, maybe catch a ride or two if that's allowed. Or if anyone is willing enough, I'll pay entry fee for them to double up in their car! AutoX and PDX videos here if you want to gauge my driving experience http://www.youtube.com/dirtybird222

phenryiv1
phenryiv1 New Reader
2/12/13 6:57 a.m.
irish44j wrote: hmm...how did I not notice one in MAIC? I'm in there all the time... Sorry, can't help you out though. My federal-worker ass is about to get furloughed when sequestration hits....so money's gonna be a bit tight

IMO, that one is a parts car. Significant rear damage, eta car, and not much else. Does have Konis and some lowering springs, but an $800 car at best. It hs been for sale for at least 2 months.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
2/12/13 4:05 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: I will most def be out there don't know if I'll run in the WRX because it is the only car we have right now. I still have to fly down to Florida and drive the fiances car up. But I will be there to watch and get a feel for it, maybe catch a ride or two if that's allowed. Or if anyone is willing enough, I'll pay entry fee for them to double up in their car! AutoX and PDX videos here if you want to gauge my driving experience http://www.youtube.com/dirtybird222

yeah, most people are happy to take riders. Might want to come to the saturday test & tune instead of the event if you want rides though - you'll get more time at it and people are even more willing when not being timed. Plus everyone takes a lot more runs at the T&T

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
2/12/13 4:11 p.m.

I would love to come to the Saturday event; however, I work every Saturday :(. My schedule is awesome for only working 4 days a week but sucks because one of those days is Saturday lol.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gpea1TTFyiq854NEC0cpZUT0Hrh6EA3hPmQ9bwCg36V8zcIFRNaPvu4ZuhYRa5DJ