1 2 3 4
fritzsch
fritzsch Reader
10/20/12 6:44 p.m.

How are those brackets attached to the engine?

patgizz
patgizz UberDork
10/20/12 7:38 p.m.
fritzsch wrote: How are those brackets attached to the engine?

bolts

fritzsch
fritzsch Reader
10/21/12 3:07 a.m.

But like to what holes? Are there just random empty holes in engines or is that something that was drilled and tapped or just co-opting some existing holes?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid New Reader
10/22/12 2:24 p.m.
fritzsch wrote: But like to what holes? Are there just random empty holes in engines or is that something that was drilled and tapped or just co-opting some existing holes?

The stock head has four bolt holes in it, begging for super charger mounts.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
10/22/12 3:56 p.m.
patgizz wrote:
fritzsch wrote: How are those brackets attached to the engine?
bolts

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid New Reader
6/27/13 8:15 p.m.

Don't worry, I was not hurt, and it was not my fault. It will most likely be totaled, but we are still waiting to find out it's fate.

Pat
Pat HalfDork
6/27/13 9:40 p.m.

Nnnnnnoooooooo!!!!

Glad you are ok!

fujioko
fujioko New Reader
6/27/13 10:13 p.m.

You could almost buff that out.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
6/27/13 10:16 p.m.

Don't you guys have like 2.5 Novas just sitting in that barn of yours?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/27/13 11:32 p.m.

Hood, fender, grill, sledge hammer any core support damage, a little duplicolor and rubbing compound, good as new, better if you take your time and it was built on a tuesday. Should be junkyardable with some poking around.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/27/13 11:37 p.m.

Zombie thread is Zombie.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/27/13 11:37 p.m.

Drink!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid New Reader
6/28/13 7:47 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Hood, fender, grill, sledge hammer any core support damage, a little duplicolor and rubbing compound, good as new, better if you take your time and it was built on a tuesday. Should be junkyardable with some poking around.

The radiator is shot too, and the engine might be as well. It's worse than it looks. I appreciate the support though. We are currently planning to pick up a 1959 Studebaker Lark Regal that we saw in the local Auto Locator as it's replacement. The plans for the Supercharged Straight Six will live on.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
6/28/13 7:57 a.m.

Oh that sucks, that was such a clean Nova too.

dean1484
dean1484 UberDork
6/28/13 8:37 a.m.

That looks fixable in a weekend. Hood fender grill some chrome bits (all available from classic industries I think)

Bend out the core support. New rad and bolt in a 350 from a yard. Seriously do not put that in the scrapper I am sure some one here would take that on and save it. Hell I would consider saving it. PA is not to far. A uhall trailer and a days drive round trip for me. Seriously if you are going to scrap that let me know. I would like a closer look. You just don't find those around much any more.

Is the windshield broken? What about the frame. It still looks strait as the hit was well above it.

patgizz
patgizz UberDork
6/28/13 9:57 a.m.

you can get a new subframe to bolt in and accept all kinds of cool stuff.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
6/28/13 10:08 a.m.

glad to hear you're OK, kid!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/28/13 12:06 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Seriously do not put that in the scrapper I am sure some one here would take that on and save it. Hell I would consider saving it. PA is not to far. A uhall trailer and a days drive round trip for me. Seriously if you are going to scrap that let me know. I would like a closer look. You just don't find those around much any more.

Up here a car in that shape is worth 3-5x scrap.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
6/28/13 12:13 p.m.

Confused. Glad to hear you're OK, but what happened? Did you finish the install? Did it move?

SEADave
SEADave Reader
6/28/13 12:16 p.m.
TheV8Kid wrote: Don't worry, I was not hurt, and it was not my fault. It will most likely be totaled, but we are still waiting to find out it's fate.

Sorry to hear that. Really sucks to have someone else mess up something you put so much work into. Glad you are ok.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid New Reader
6/28/13 7:20 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: That looks fixable in a weekend. Hood fender grill some chrome bits (all available from classic industries I think) Bend out the core support. New rad and bolt in a 350 from a yard. Seriously do not put that in the scrapper I am sure some one here would take that on and save it. Hell I would consider saving it. PA is not to far. A uhall trailer and a days drive round trip for me. Seriously if you are going to scrap that let me know. I would like a closer look. You just don't find those around much any more. Is the windshield broken? What about the frame. It still looks strait as the hit was well above it.

We do not plan to let it go to a scrap yard. We are pushing to be paid to have it fixed, but do not plan to fix it in the near future. The wind shield is not broken and the frame is not bent either. The problem I have with fixing it right now is, it's a lot of work. If we were to throw in a V8 or the super charged straight six, there would need to be a lot of work done to the car for me to feel comfortable driving it on top of the body work and such. I'd rather sit on it for a little until I have the funds to fix it right, or sell it to someone else, and use the insurance money on other projects. If we get the Nova back (which we likely will, whether we buy it back or they pay to fix it), you are welcome to buy it, excluding a few parts my dad and I plan to grab off of it for other cars.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid New Reader
6/28/13 7:23 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Confused. Glad to hear you're OK, but what happened? Did you finish the install? Did it move?

A guy pulled out into my lane and stopped about 20 feet in front of me while I was going about 35-40 mph. I slammed on my brakes and couldn't steer out of the way or stop in time.

The install had not progressed any further than what you guys have seen. (trust me you guys would have known if I finished the install)

It did move after the accident, but the tire was rubbing pretty good, and the radiator was leaking at a pretty good rate, so it was not going to be moving for long.

Oh and I forgot to mention. This is kind of cool. The guy that I hit turned out to be a really big car guy and has been in countless magazines for his work on chassis. He was really cool about the whole thing and immediately admitted fault. I think he knew what I was going through because his first car was a 1966 Nova. I ended up going over to his shop later that day with my dad and found out that the man was truly an artist. It was really neat.

dean1484
dean1484 UberDork
6/29/13 11:31 a.m.

I just don't want to see it go to the scrapper and would step in if that was the direction it was going. It is a father son project. That is irreplaceable and I would not feel rite about purchasing it. Fix it when you can WITH your dad and enjoy it and the time with you father. Trust me this is important!!!

I am glad you are all rite. They say cars are always replaceable but the time spent with friends and FAMLEY with a car is not replaceable. Keep it fix it and enjoy!!!!

thascrambler
thascrambler
12/13/13 10:53 a.m.

Super cool thread, I'm curious about the non-sealed rotor bearings for the m90. Did you find sealed ones? If so where?

Will
Will Dork
12/13/13 12:20 p.m.

The SC M90 does have its own oil supply. Most people use the GM supercharger oil, since it's way cheaper than the Ford stuff. In the pic below, the fill plug is on the front right side of the snout (directly above the pulley).

TheV8Kid wrote:
1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wIKWqvzXWgvapFaxfwqNfNFq0tIzFNBye3J7TcET0OJIgGLm8zokF27ONaBcJb37