1 2 3
JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
11/16/19 12:14 p.m.

Jus' wonderin'....

At an independant shop in southern IL, I dropped off four 17" wheels (no TPMS) with old tires on them plus four new tires. What would you expect to pay to mount and balance the new, and dispose of the old? (Not what you want it to cost, or what you remember it costing in 1997.) What is reasonable today?

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
11/16/19 12:16 p.m.

Last time I paid a shop it was $20/tire to mount, balance, and dispose. 

I think it's a little much honestly, but it beats screwing around with a manual tire changer in the winter. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
11/16/19 12:19 p.m.

$25 per wheel with new rubber stems and conventional weights, $30 per wheel for tape weights, seems about right to me. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/16/19 12:20 p.m.

15$, they come to my house, and do it. Mobile. Weight, balance, disposition, all of it. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/16/19 12:50 p.m.

Depending on the tire, the places where I've worked charged between $100 and $250 to mount and balance.

$250 assumed two hours labor, which it would take without the correct equipment.  WITH correct equipment it takes less time, but then you have to pay for the $37,000 tire machine that saved you time.

Also note that balancing often requires deflating the tire, breaking the beads, and rotating the tire on the rim... which takes more time.

TJL
TJL HalfDork
11/16/19 12:56 p.m.

Ive paid a local shady garage 100$ Cash for 4, mounted, balance, disposed. They disappeared(no surprise, shadiness and all), next time the only shop that i could find that would mount tires i purchased ended up at like 160$. 

thats what drove me to buy a cheapo Chinese real tire machine and spin balancer for about 1k when ebay was having their site-wide discounts.  

it rarely gets used and is in the way a lot, but its sweet to have in the garage when myself or friends need it. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/16/19 1:00 p.m.

TPMS (if required) are ~$40 each.  Four mount & balance at my buddy's shop costs ma a pizza.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
11/16/19 1:29 p.m.

Depends how much bribery I bring. The convenient shop by my work is honestly a darn good deal at around $25 per wheel. They actually take the time to clean up the bead surface on each wheel. I would expect to pay more for more difficult or time consuming wheel/tire sizes.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/16/19 1:45 p.m.

Going rate used to be $20 a tire. Now it's more like $30, maybe $35 if you supply the tires. 

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
11/16/19 2:02 p.m.

Ok. I paid $130. I was in a bind and didn't have time to go somewhere else. I was thinking it seemed a bit steep, but I guess that's in the realm of what is normal. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/16/19 2:04 p.m.

The local shady "i reuse wheel weights and snip off chunks of lead if I don't have the right size and use the pliers to squeeze aluminum weights to fit steel rims long enough to not fly off till the next day" guy charges $80.  The other guys charged me $100 for 2 corvette wheels.  After those experiences i bought machines and never looked back.  

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
11/16/19 2:07 p.m.

I was able to find a shop that would do it for $10/corner for 20" wheels. This thread makes me feel even better about that.

spandak
spandak Reader
11/16/19 2:35 p.m.

Costco charge me $7 to swap tires and sensors on two rims. That’s the best I’ve heard of. 

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
11/16/19 2:39 p.m.

My cheap cash only guy was $10.  He just increased it by 50% to $15, and the last pair for my trailer, he wouldn't keep the old tires.  Hrmmpf.

They are the hardest working people I've ever seen, they usually do it RIGHT NOW and fast.   A Big-O tires moved in across the street,

so maybe he think he can charge what they do now?    I have another place that is slow and still $10 without balancing them.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
11/16/19 2:43 p.m.

$15-$20 a corner maybe? I work at a dealership and I think that is what I pay after discount.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
11/16/19 2:52 p.m.

Just had two 16" truck tires shipped from Tire Rack to local installer listed on their website. When they were done adding various fees & tax the total was $38.00.

boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb Reader
11/16/19 2:56 p.m.

Check out your local Wallyworld. They are very reasonable around here....

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/16/19 3:08 p.m.

Anything under a C note is a good deal in Milwaukee.  That being said I am always mounting either 100lb mud tires or stretching 285s onto 12" wide wheels or something else equally stupid so I am sure there is a stupid tax involved.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/16/19 3:12 p.m.

I just had my winter tires mounted.  My local, regular shop hit me for $20 each (previous $15)

I had the 4 old winter tires in my trunk/back seat.  They lifted the car,  took the summer tires off the rims, put the winter tires on the rims, balanced them all and then put the summer tires in bags and loaded them back in the trunk/back seat.  

I like $15 each better but I understand $20.  

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
11/16/19 3:17 p.m.

Just paid $106 with tax to mount and balance 4 tires, replace tpms with new (I brought), and dispose of two tires.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/16/19 3:34 p.m.

My sketchy tire guy does $20 for all four, but I also generally bring him tires that have life left in him that he re-sells to people sketchier than me. I also bring him wheels instead of a whole car so the whole job takes him 10-15 minutes. I like my sketchy tire guy. 

gumby
gumby Reader
11/16/19 4:08 p.m.

I try to always bring loose wheels/tires to a friend's shop so I don't get in his way. He lets me use his machines, and I don't infringe on his ability to remain efficient while I am there(mostly). Between using his machines, and a manual station at my work, it has been a looooong time since I paid for mounting and balancing. I got in a bind one weekend recently; after mounting the tires at his shop, we realized his balancer was inop! I ran up the road on my way home and stopped at the closest garage..... $12.50/ea, just to balance loose wheels and tires(new tires, clean wheels), and they acted like they were doing me a favor the whole time.

I ate it, and it tasted horrible. I helped get the balancer up and running again at my friend's shop, and I hope never to grace the doors of another place I have to pay for the service ever again. I will buy my own machines if such a situation becomes routine.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/16/19 4:46 p.m.
Patrick said:

The local shady "i reuse wheel weights and snip off chunks of lead if I don't have the right size and use the pliers to squeeze aluminum weights to fit steel rims long enough to not fly off till the next day" guy charges $80.  The other guys charged me $100 for 2 corvette wheels.  After those experiences i bought machines and never looked back.  

I work on cars for a living so I can have free access to tire machines without having to buy or house them.

Slippery
Slippery UltraDork
11/16/19 5:14 p.m.

The place I go to, only does tires, will charge $20/tire if you bring the car or $15/tire if you bring the wheels off of the car. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
11/16/19 5:21 p.m.

$25 a tire locally but the shop I used to deal with wouldn't mount race tires anymore. I spent the money to buy a set of machines. 

I don't charge to mount tires for the local autocross crowd but I do take donations. The machines have about half paid for themselves so far. 

The best part is not having to deal with the shops anymore. I mounted a set of tires today on the G35. Including doing brake pads and a oil change it took less time than taking it to a shop and waiting on it. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D1spiwxWh3baf0maeaQeInojbso6BFMwUOpJMvOxFuDQlEORfo4Ef345EAqMuiGM