1 2
sachilles
sachilles Reader
11/17/08 12:43 p.m.

doesn't factory five have a mid engine kit with a porsche transaxle and an LS type motor? That would be fun swap.

Wonder what an espirit goes for these days?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
11/17/08 1:25 p.m.

Esprits go for as much as you want to spend. Maybe $1500 to $60K. Good SE's are going for the high teens right now.

If you took that $5K budget for the swap and put it into that existing 910 motor, assuming it is basically sound now, you could probably coax 300 HP out of it. Better fuel management, intercooler, upgraded turbo, magic oil for the transmission. That would probably do it. The bottom ends are as stout as a GM truck because, err, they are from a GM truck (Bedford).

Xceler8x
Xceler8x HalfDork
11/17/08 2:11 p.m.

Isn't that the body style that Roger Moore used as a submarine in that one Bond film?

as always..gorgeous, gorgeous cars...

gamby
gamby SuperDork
11/17/08 7:32 p.m.

With the exception of the awful red accents on the rockers and rear windows, I can see how you'd fall in love w/ that thing.

It would make such a pimp track car.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
11/17/08 7:36 p.m.

no way. the red accents look so "period correct".

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
11/17/08 9:03 p.m.

Teskid-block 32v 4.6L Ford motor, as found in the 90's Lincolns and '96-'98 Cobras. All aluminum motor, block itself is good to 1000hp, and, at least in the Cobras, a forged crankshaft (and 6800 rpm redline) came stock.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe New Reader
11/18/08 9:23 a.m.

Ok power levels are getting a bit out of control, there is no way in the world that suspension and any size tire that I could get to fit would take 350+ hp.

modifing the 910 is a option but I have yet to see any mods for the box that would allow it to survive and they are really difficult to find right now.

The red accents are "period correct" but still horrible. This is a S3 not a S1 like the Bond car. Loose the side vents the rockers and the rear window cover and it would be darn close though.

JmfnB
JmfnB SuperDork
11/18/08 9:40 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Teskid-block 32v 4.6L Ford motor, as found in the 90's Lincolns and '96-'98 Cobras. All aluminum motor, block itself is good to 1000hp, and, at least in the Cobras, a forged crankshaft (and 6800 rpm redline) came stock.

Or use the Explorer Alloy version as well (there are alloy or CI Explorer blocks available) I have seen a 935hp turbo engine based off a factory Explorer block last more than 50 1/4 mile passes without issue.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
11/18/08 10:09 a.m.

I have a 1.3 liter B3 in the trunk of the Aspire, but you would have to fight Quasi for it.

Joey

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
11/18/08 10:26 a.m.
JmfnB wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: Teskid-block 32v 4.6L Ford motor, as found in the 90's Lincolns and '96-'98 Cobras. All aluminum motor, block itself is good to 1000hp, and, at least in the Cobras, a forged crankshaft (and 6800 rpm redline) came stock.
Or use the Explorer Alloy version as well (there are alloy or CI Explorer blocks available) I have seen a 935hp turbo engine based off a factory Explorer block last more than 50 1/4 mile passes without issue.

Those motors are HUGE though. particularly the 32valve. They don't fit just anywhere.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe New Reader
11/18/08 12:21 p.m.

Those motors are HUGE though. particularly the 32valve. They don't fit just anywhere.

The S3 has a huge amount of space int hte rear because it was designed for the V8 that they never installed.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
11/18/08 12:40 p.m.

Two Espirts were in the Bond films: http://www.lotusespritturbo.com/James_Bonds_Lotus_Esprit_Turbo.htm

This is the submarine one in "The Spy Who Loved Me":

and this one with the ski racks in "For Your Eyes Only":

Ski racks were a dealer option for that year so you could outfit your car like Bond's. Esprits aren't exactly known as being good snow cars, but, hey, Bond did it, so....

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
11/18/08 2:38 p.m.

It's for sale:

http://www.007magazine.co.uk/news_lotus.htm

gamby
gamby SuperDork
11/18/08 3:07 p.m.
Hasbro wrote: It's for sale: http://www.007magazine.co.uk/news_lotus.htm

Oh, if I were a rich man...

I'm thinking that car will fetch an obscene amount of money.

I remember seeing somewhere online that the mockup of the Esprit submarine was found in the Islands somewhere and it was bought and restored. It was in front of a restaurant or something.

Can't find an article.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
11/18/08 3:28 p.m.
JmfnB wrote:

So it's capable of driving 12.5 miles, I guess that is a start. More reliable than some cars I've owned.

getfast
getfast New Reader
11/30/08 12:01 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: There's one with a Ford V6 SHO out there,

If this one is white with BBS wheels, I saw it at VIR 5+ years ago... and it was not slow at all.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
11/30/08 6:33 p.m.

How about a Rover V8? Pretty cheap and not too heavy. Keeps it all British, supposing it fits

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FR9FYr0xCfGZqGmhwiDqjlJIyUkmBpmjg2GorSRqUfmq8ecQ4PB0MPnLnwBVAdm3