1 2
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
11/30/15 8:32 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: On the 4.3 is it oiling or cooling that are the issues? I don't have experience with them for use in racing but I have always wanted to build one that was moderately warmed over and see hat it could do.

With the SBC we had problems with all fo the above. One engine I got to pull pieces of the cam out of the side of the block. Another cracked a head. Another blew a head gasket. One spun some rod bearings... Etc....

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/30/15 8:40 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote:
dean1484 wrote: On the 4.3 is it oiling or cooling that are the issues? I don't have experience with them for use in racing but I have always wanted to build one that was moderately warmed over and see hat it could do.
With the SBC we had problems with all fo the above. One engine I got to pull pieces of the cam out of the side of the block. Another cracked a head. Another blew a head gasket. One spun some rod bearings... Etc....

Yeepers what a mess

Has anyone messed with the Mazda V6 motors? They make a bunch of them. I dont know Hp numbers or if they are in any way reliable but I always thought a 3.0l Mazda V6 in a FC would be a great "fun" car. Maybe add a bit of boost just to keep it interesting.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
11/30/15 8:16 p.m.

Conventional wisdom would suggest 20hp from a street port is doable: Here's 184rwhp from a street ported S4 engine. They have a SAFC, but your car is "tuned." ;) http://www.rx7club.com/time-slips-dyno-128/184-rwhp-s4-6-port-1006884/

I seriously believe the FC has some of the most power potential from a top tier chumpcar platform. With the upcoming engine swap rules, I think this is all the more reason to go for the untapped potential in your car. (I'm trying to live vicariously through you okay? :) )

Tyler H
Tyler H SuperDork
12/1/15 7:17 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: One of our other cars, the TR7, runs the SC 3.8. They've gone through half a dozen motors. I'll let the team owner give you all the details, but I think a lot of it has been cooling issues, they've fried a lot of the motors. That said, they finally have the drivetrain issues sorted out and the car is incredibly fast. As in running in the top 10 overall fast. The keep having non-powertrain related issues that keep them from a great finish, but the car is fast!!

Hey! I diced it up with that car for the last stint of the Lemons race at CMP. It's really fast in a straight line, but those brakes must be scary. I was nursing the Eagle Talon that doesn't like to hold oil pressure in right hand turns. (Excellent brakes and decent handling though.)

Nothing else to add, but this sounds like the recipe for a good crapcan race car.

Edit: Just read on the Chumpcar forum that they are looking at changing the swap valuation formula to net hp increase to weight ratio. We have Honda Civic racecars laying around and I was planning on a J32 swap, but this casts doubt over that. Stock fuel tank size is a big consideration in Chump. You have to be able to make it 2 hours on a tank, or you're burning additional pit stops (5min minimums.) Max fuel cell size is stock+2gal. If you can't make 2 hours, you need to make up the extra stop with raw speed -- a fun proposition with an engine swap. This potentially changes that equation. The poor little Civics just have 10.9gal capacity, and they starve out in high-G sweepers with 2 gal left. Couple that with an 8gal/hr burn rate and you're stopping twice as often as the bigger cars.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
12/7/15 10:32 a.m.

I put the swap possibility on hold until they figure out which way they are going to go.

As I understand it there is going to be a sliding scale based on stock HP and weight. Then, a factor will be applied and the equation will spit out how much HP you can add without penalty laps.

If this works how i think it should, I may still do this swap.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
12/7/15 11:42 a.m.

If they go off HP only and not torque... are TDI engines cheap yet?

Rogue
Rogue New Reader
12/8/15 12:10 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: I was under the impression that Honda engine is the one used in the miata swaps.

http://www.superfastmiatas.com

Plenty of cheap Odyssey J35s around.

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
12/8/15 1:19 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: I have always wondered if the 3L V6 motors from the Acura's were any good.

I think the J series Honda engines are pretty fantastic. They rev high, have a great usable power band, and are (comparatively) light. The problem is that they were always placed in mini vans, grocery getter SUVs, or pedestrian sedans. They also suffer a lack of manual trans options with the exception of the Acura CL, some of the 2nd gen TLs and 7th gen Accords. I wouldn't touch a Honda automatic before about 2006. From an engine swap viewpoint, almost everything would have to be custom as they never did gain much traction in the performance world. But, I think that if someone has the skills and time to fab a bunch of stuff, they would make good candidates for a cheap, reliable, and pretty powerful starting point.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
12/8/15 1:32 p.m.

What RWD transmission are you connecting to a Honda V6 for cheap? J3x V6en don't seem to be remotely inline with what the OP is looking for.

To that end, I suggest running a Dodge 318 backed by a A904 Torq-Flight.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
12/8/15 1:47 p.m.
Sonic wrote: Biggest thing we learned with SC 3.8s is make sure to have enough clearance between the oil pan and pickup, that's why we blew 2 motors as it was starving for oil at high rpm as it was too close.

My old machinist saw quite a few of these come through his shop including his wife's car. He told me replacing the stock oil pump with a high volume unit went a long way towards curing the problem. Provided, of course, you have proper pan clearance to begin with.

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
12/8/15 4:22 p.m.
pres589 wrote: What RWD transmission are you connecting to a Honda V6 for cheap? J3x V6en don't seem to be remotely inline with what the OP is looking for.

Superfastmiatas makes an adapter for the miata transmission and flywheel. I'm sure some ingenuity would be needed for adapting to the rx7 platform, but it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility. The s2000 transmission can also be made to work and a couple guys on the locost forums have used 240sx/300zx transmissions too with a custom bellhousing. None of this is "cheap" I realize, but with the initial buy in cost to the J-series so low, fabbing or farming out some custom work might make it cost feasible.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
12/8/15 5:44 p.m.

The miata and rx7 trans is made of glass. I have no idea how they don't immediately explode behind actual torque.

We have grenaded 3 of these trans while racing...

pirate
pirate Reader
12/8/15 6:47 p.m.

Don't know if this helps but there is a lot of information here: http://60degreev6.com/forum/forum.php

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
12/14/16 11:13 a.m.

After much waiting and farting around with the new chump swap rules...

I have decided to go with a 3400 (LA1) GM V6 engine. They are CHEAP! They can make decent power (185 hp with 205 tq) from the minivans.

This will be in my 87 Mazda Rx7 Chumpcar.

I will be going for the 170 Hp version to fit within the rules. That should give me a HUGE increase in torque over the car as is. I am hoping that with headers and a decent tune, I should be able to make close to 170 at the wheels.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
12/14/16 1:11 p.m.

sell your soul, then the rest is easy.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
12/14/16 1:37 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

berkeley YEAH!!!! 60*V6 Love!

Always wanted to do this swap with a 3500 and itbs.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
12/14/16 2:23 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: sell your soul, then the rest is easy.

I still have a rotary powered street car..... + a lemons 12A carb'd racecar..... + a TII drivetrain sitting in my garage waiting for the right moment to be placed in something ridiculously light....

In other words, Im still a ro-tard.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
12/14/16 2:45 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

I know but I like giving you E36 M3 regardless haha.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZqbtNT8nPCsJWAFNx8AgXcmbYi3e4B2f28ha8xATGGLyvsviGUYf3t4Ug2fETEUd