1 2
KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/10/20 8:04 a.m.

So in my weekly casual search for cars I used to own I've uncovered a gem in the rough.  A 2001 Allroad with a ton of miles on it.  $1100 doesn't sound bad, it's a little rough but not terrible.  The real "selling" point is that it's apparently pretty well modded.  KO4 turbos, lightweight rods, performance cams, big injectors, etc.  Timing belt within the last 15,000 miles and the front suspension replaced with coilovers.

I know I got lucky with mine, it actually was reliable.  And the intervening decade hasn't done any favors to Allroad "reliability".  But it'll be a ridiculous toy.  Challenge fodder and short session track day plaything.  400-425 hp and AWD should make it entertaining at least.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/10/20 8:05 a.m.

You know the risks. Do it!

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
2/10/20 8:14 a.m.

At that price it's a pretty cheap risk.  Only real danger is getting attached to it and chasing someone else's problems.  Do it.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
2/10/20 8:16 a.m.

I don't know. Do you need it to run? ;-)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/10/20 8:21 a.m.

Price of entry = $1,100

What redeeming parts does it have if it all goes pear shaped?  What would those turbos sell for?  Rods and cam are going to be labor intensive to recoup so probably not worth it.  Is there value in the wheels tires?  Are there some easy pilfered interior parts? 

In general, my advice is if $1,100 is drivable then drive it until it has a major failure and then at that time of the major failure, get out with a minimized loss.  Could be a fun car for a year that cost you $600 to play with ($1,100 invest and $500 recoup) 

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
2/10/20 8:24 a.m.

Hard to lose at that price.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/10/20 8:35 a.m.

Why in the world would we talk you out of something that would be so entertaining to read about. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/10/20 9:03 a.m.

Is that the 2.7T?

Wifey had a 2001 A6 with the 2.7T.  Fantastic car.  Inconceivably reliable. 

I will echo the sentiment above.  Do it.  Do it now.

Do it before some other fool gets it first! laugh

Kingkong
Kingkong New Reader
2/10/20 11:26 a.m.

Do it!

Off to find the car and buy it first......

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
2/10/20 11:29 a.m.

Send it. At $1100 you could easily recoup half that selling odds and ends if it grenades. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
2/10/20 11:43 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

I don't know. Do you need it to run? ;-)

To paraphrase Lord Helmet, "I said across his nose, not UP IT!"

Well done sir.  Well done.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/10/20 11:47 a.m.

We talking about one of these? Hell, that is beautiful.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/10/20 12:01 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Yup, mine was silver.  I've been tempted to get one to replace it (it didn't survive the great culling that is divorce).  I need another AWD German wagon like I need a case of the corona virus but as they say, we only live once.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
2/10/20 12:07 p.m.

It's a grand, it won't itch after you lay out the money and you can probably sell it later. WIN.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/10/20 12:25 p.m.

I mean, i'm bringing you more money next month if it helps

matthewmcl
matthewmcl New Reader
2/10/20 1:02 p.m.

I keep wanting an early Allroad with an LGX.

Matthew

captdownshift
captdownshift UltimaDork
2/10/20 3:09 p.m.

So is the air pump or multiple air struts shot? 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
2/10/20 6:47 p.m.

Far and away the least reliable Audi ever made.  By a long stretch.

that mod list makes no sense.  You don't do rods etc for k04 turbos, you don't need them.  There also aren't performance cams available for that motor.

that motor can take anything a set of k04's will throw at it stock.  You don't spend the kind of money to build that motor unless you're slapping a set of Tial600-700's on it.

I'd be very suspicious that it did have a set of big tials on it, those did some damage and a set of used k04's were thrown on so the car could be ditched.

I wouldn't touch it with a 20 foot pole

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/11/20 8:33 a.m.
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/11/20 8:42 a.m.

That looks like fun.  And cheap enough not to care too much if it all goes to hell in a hand basket.  Other than the exhaust, the "dent in the trunk" looks like it'll need a new hatch.

Strip out as much weight as possible. Throw some tires on it. Take it to the Challenge.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/11/20 9:03 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Wow, what a terrible ad.  What terrible pictures.  No effort to clean the car.  

Generally, this is an ad for someone's trash.  I would pay him accordingly low, if you go forward at all.  I'm just afraid this ad says too much about the seller and generally, I do not like what it says.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/11/20 9:13 a.m.

I'm guessing that this picture is the entire exhaust system standing against the fence?  Ad says it needs to be welded back in?  

Now I see in this picture that he has taken to storing the exhaust sysetm on the roof of the car.  He doesn't care at all about this car.  The muffler could just as easily be slid under the parked car but instead lets slid all its scratchy bits up on the roof.  

Are these the whole cats?  Have the cats been sold off already?  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/11/20 9:31 a.m.

I have another theory and it is based on the screenshot being the only place that details the modifications....

My theory is that todays seller did not due the modifications but rather bought this recently.  The screenshot is from the ad from which he bought the car.  The ad posted today does not elaborate on any of the mods but just rather states the car shakes at speed and unknown why.  

My skepticism is high on this one.    

Harvey
Harvey SuperDork
2/11/20 9:43 a.m.
John Welsh said:

I'm guessing that this picture is the entire exhaust system standing against the fence?  Ad says it needs to be welded back in?  

Now I see in this picture that he has taken to storing the exhaust sysetm on the roof of the car.  He doesn't care at all about this car.  The muffler could just as easily be slid under the parked car but instead lets slid all its scratchy bits up on the roof.  

That thing looks like total garbage. The rear hatch looks messed up. Ride is way too low, probably has some busted suspension on it to replace the air ride thing or it's just got busted air ride.

That's a part out right there if that.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/11/20 11:06 a.m.
NOHOME said:

We talking about one of these? Hell, that is beautiful.

Beautiful? Hmm.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qymKPYkQX6LnqyQoXHNmJ8pDj0r8SgCI1tzS3MPD7wrg5wyssssi3M9SH3ntRtWl