1 2
TXratti
TXratti Reader
10/27/20 10:37 a.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

The ST is more playful and its a neat car.. But the GTi is my favorite of the 2. I think the Fiesta is too tall and the fit and finish and quality of materials on the interior is definitely subpar compared to the GTi.

I don't think towing with either car is really advisable.. but you do you.

Now, the GTI are not perfect, and when i looked at buying one my buddy made the comment. "i loved my GTi, although it did go through 3 water pumps. I can't remember if he had an MK7 or a MK6 in reference to that comment.

Or, 'I love my Mk7R but I did have to put three clutches in it,' in my case.

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
10/27/20 10:43 a.m.

My FiST came with "17" ebony black wheels with red calipers"    Don't know if they improve the performance but they imply it.  They look nice too.

It is a dd and fun car.  I don't do competition or track days any more but I still do some "spirited" driving on our winding two lanes.

I find the suspension OK but it is harsh on expansion joints etc.

When the stock Bridgestone summer tires wear out, I am going to replace them with performance all seasons.   For now I will soon be putting my 15" Blizzaks on.

Right now I have a rattle that was diagnosed as a front strut .   Being an ST the parts had to be ordered.  It is now  over a week and I am waiting for a call from the dealer to see what the hold up is.    The car is drivable except for the noise.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
10/27/20 1:50 p.m.

I was reading a bit about the GTI and I didn't remember that the optional LSD is an e-diff (the electronically controlled type, not the brake based attempt at equivalency). Just curious if anyone noticed anything particularly trick about it? I believe GTIs sold in significantly higher numbers than FiSTs. I have no idea what percentage of those manual GTIs have a LSD via the performance package.

The mfactory LSD for the FiST is $650. I've toyed with the idea of getting it, but while I'm down with dropping the transmission, I'm not sure I'm up for the diff install.

I'm not sure it's of interest to the original poster, but I suspect with both of these cars you can run 87 octane with minimal impact. There's a video online where they dyno a FiST and lose 8hp by running 87 octane, or up to 13hp with repeated runs. The Edmunds has something shows more or less the same engine output regardless of octane with the previous gen GTI (very similar engine, although significant torque increase with the 2015+). I run 87 octane on a regular basis. I can notice a slight difference vs. premium, but I like the cost savings.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB HalfDork
10/27/20 8:10 p.m.

I think the MK7 LSD is a real LSD that is activated electronically. There is probably brake bias too but you need the performance pack to get LSD. Look for a red GTI badge and big ass front brakes. 

chaparral
chaparral Dork
10/28/20 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

The MP215 kit sounds like a bargain.

It looks like I'm down to a choice between three cars - 2016 Fiesta ST 100kmi, $8500, 2017 Golf GTi 54kmi, $17800, 2014 Fiesta ST 50kmi, $12000. 

The first Fiesta is a bit older and rougher, but it's what I'd want a little spicy hatchback to be - a good successor to my old B16 CRX. Private seller was pretty cool.

The GTI is newer and fresher, a good successor to my G35S. It's at a dealer, and they broke the key ten minutes before my scheduled test drive and then sent me out in another GTI that needed the immediate attention of a mechanic and a stop at AutoZone on the test drive. 

The second Fiesta is in between, and the bright orange paint could save me on graphics.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
10/28/20 9:43 a.m.
Snrub said:

I'm not sure it's of interest to the original poster, but I suspect with both of these cars you can run 87 octane with minimal impact. There's a video online where they dyno a FiST and lose 8hp by running 87 octane, or up to 13hp with repeated runs. The Edmunds has something shows more or less the same engine output regardless of octane with the previous gen GTI (very similar engine, although significant torque increase with the 2015+). I run 87 octane on a regular basis. I can notice a slight difference vs. premium, but I like the cost savings.

That's actually one of my favorite things about the fiesta...mine has just under 85k miles on it and probably well over 80k of those have been on 87 octane. The difference is noticeable, but in my experience pretty small - it mostly just clips top end power some, so it's not really a factor for normal street driving (it doesn't do much past like 5k rpm anyway...it just falls on its face a little harder on 87). It does seem to take a slight mileage hit, but nowhere near enough to offset the cost difference. Like maybe 1mpg.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
10/28/20 10:20 a.m.

I don't think it falls on it's face with either fuel type, but it tapers off more on 87. Here's the dyno from the video I was referencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYsZFu3pmIA&feature=emb_logo

Here's the 2010 GTI comparison: https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/gti/2010/long-term-road-test/2010-volkswagen-gti-the-effect-of-octane-on-its-power.html

chaparral
chaparral Dork
11/2/20 8:28 p.m.

Update: unless something disastrous occurs, I will be purchasing and picking up my Fiesta ST on Thursday. 

chaparral
chaparral Dork
11/5/20 3:51 p.m.

My Fiesta ST is plated and home. Every mile of the trip reminded me of how much fun it was. I think the Golf would've been a mistake. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
11/5/20 3:54 p.m.

chaparral said:

I think the Golf would've been a mistake. 

Good thing you stayed away from the Golf 

congrsts on the Fiesta! Post some pics 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ImkwkdoSOpSHKQ0RSDEyQG1QZvCA23UGQOqbQujpiwtgp7D7vuCms1WFwJtgFs93