Jpbrienp
Jpbrienp New Reader
3/4/20 1:04 p.m.

All,

2nd post here, been lurking daily for almost a year now. A good project that interests me has avoided me up until this week. So now I am asking for any knowledge you may be willing to share for things I need to look for before making this final. 

99.5 Golf TDI 

276k on the body

112k on a replaced motor with paper work

manual transmission 

Car belongs to a coworker that is an engineer. He was the one to do the motor swap and was quite meticulous in doing so. New timing belt, new clutch and injectors were cleaned etc...

What do I look for? Any reason to avoid this platform? 

Thanks in advance

Josh

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
3/4/20 5:33 p.m.

You want to make sure that he replaced the engine with another ALH (99-03). They were the most reliable TDi by far in the A4 platform.

I had a 2.0L gas 2003 Golf and it was one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned.  How many kms since the swap? 

Jpbrienp
Jpbrienp New Reader
3/4/20 8:16 p.m.
NGTD said:

You want to make sure that he replaced the engine with another ALH (99-03). They were the most reliable TDi by far in the A4 platform.

I had a 2.0L gas 2003 Golf and it was one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned.  How many kms since the swap? 

It's an ALH for sure, from the same year car. He daily's an 03 and took this on as a project. Car has been driven but I would guess less than a 1000 miles since the swap. He just purchased a 15 TDI and is keeping the 03 as a toy and selling the 99.5 to make room in the stable. 

Car needs a windshield, clear coat is peeling and could definitely use a suspension refresh but it's less than challenge money. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Aq6GIJ6Uu6kbMeM9IvkGVnLt043ItTk1T8tS8PNosr0V8eIqT9qjKtRgqtoh7clV