carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
10/9/12 10:40 p.m.

I seem to remember that there's a TDI/diesel expert on the forum who knows all there is to know about them and making power.

Could you please PM me? I have a couple of proof of concept type questions to ask.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/10/12 6:30 a.m.

Just ask so we can mentally masterbate about your ideas?

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/10/12 6:43 a.m.

Have you searched on tdiclub.com? It's reasonably certain if there's a way to make power, somebody there has tried it.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
10/10/12 9:29 a.m.

Didn't even know there was a tidiclub.com. That's one of the questions I wanted to ask.

Keep in mind just about the only thing I know about diesel I've learned by not really reading the diesel threads on this forum. Anything I think I know has come about by osmosis or having my baby whisper dirty diesel nothings in my ear as I sleep.

I've driven a few diesel engined whatevers, have had a John Deere tractor, been there when people have talked a little trash about how big and bad their diesel is, etc.

OK, I hate to look really, really stupid, but for all you mental masterbaters out there:

1) is it really just a 2 wire engine hook up as I read somewhere when you transplant them into cars where they don't belong? That's what I remember being said when someone talked about all the wires and hassles it was to hook up a modern gas engine.

2) What is an easily reachable power level that you can reach "with adjustments" before you have to go off the deep end?

3) once you have it in there can you swap it for one of the other Audi/VW gas engines if you don't like it. In other words do the suspension/transmission/engine mounting points and hook ups match or are they different for all models.

4) And I guess are they all alike or are there certain models I should want? Audi & VW are the same engine & trannie aren't they?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/10/12 9:42 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: 1) is it really just a 2 wire engine hook up as I read somewhere when you transplant them into cars where they don't belong? That's what I remember being said when someone talked about all the wires and hassles it was to hook up a modern gas engine.

If it is mechanically injected, yes. but if you have one of the newer and fancier diesels, there will be more wires, but it be the same as a gasser.

2) What is an easily reachable power level that you can reach "with adjustments" before you have to go off the deep end?

I have heard getting to 300hp is about the limit before you really go off the deep, deep, deep end. But 200hp is pretty easy to get, IIRC the stocker is 150hp?

3) once you have it in there can you swap it for one of the other Audi/VW gas engines if you don't like it. In other words do the suspension/transmission/engine mounting points and hook ups match or are they different for all models.

No clue on mounting points.

4) And I guess are they all alike or are there certain models I should want? Audi & VW are the same engine & trannie aren't they?

I think the engine is the "same" across the various lines. Like if you had a Passat engine it is no different then one from a Jetta. I have no clue on the marques being similar.

The only dumb question is the one not asked that needs an answer.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
10/10/12 10:04 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: I have heard getting to 300hp is about the limit before you really go off the deep, deep, deep end. But 200hp is pretty easy to get, IIRC the stocker is 150hp?

The TDI in the A4 Golfs and Jettas only made 90hp and 155 torque. The Newer TDI that started late into the A5 cars is the 140hp unit. Both engines management systems will have immobilizers and other things to work around in a swap.

There is a 350whp A4 Jetta here in town. The turbo must be HUGE. It sounds like a Cummins at idle.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
10/10/12 10:32 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: 1) is it really just a 2 wire engine hook up as I read somewhere when you transplant them into cars where they don't belong? That's what I remember being said when someone talked about all the wires and hassles it was to hook up a modern gas engine. Yeah, not even close, the wiring is the hardest part of the swap. 2) What is an easily reachable power level that you can reach "with adjustments" before you have to go off the deep end? If adjustments includes a turbo and injectors, in the high hundreds to low two hundreds for a couple thousand $$ 3) once you have it in there can you swap it for one of the other Audi/VW gas engines if you don't like it. In other words do the suspension/transmission/engine mounting points and hook ups match or are they different for all models. Depends on the year of TDI, but the engine and transmission mount the same as gas engines of the same year. You will have enough money into it you will hope you dont change your mind though (you would be lucky to get one for less than $3k). 4) And I guess are they all alike or are there certain models I should want? Audi & VW are the same engine & trannie aren't they? Mainly they are different depending on the year.
Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/10/12 10:43 a.m.

First things first, join and browse around tdiclub.com. They are a pretty down-to-earth group. The site also has one of the best FAQ's I've seen - especially if you're looking at an ALH ('03 and earlier) engine, which was the last of the "low" pressure engines (kinda the 12V of the TDI world). Other than audio stuff, you can basically fix any VW issue there, engine related or not. The Vortex is still a little better for ICE stuff (or at least used to be).

I understand the Mk4 mounting points are basically the same, so in theory a 1.8t, a VR6 and a 1.9TDi could swap with the associated hangers. Bear in the mind, the engine and transmission hang in the engine, rather than sitting on mounts from below..

The immobilizer in the ECU is one of the biggest hang-ups when swapping a TDI into a different chassis. So far, the seems best way to get around it is to use the VW cluster and key. I know one guy who swapped a VR6 into a Fiero and got around it usign the Fiero cluster, but he said it was a real PITA (he runs a German car shop and had to pull some favors) and for the TDI/Fiero he's currently building they plan to use the Jetta cluster.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
10/10/12 12:27 p.m.

Again to hammer it home TDIclub is the place to be for this stuff.

Stock ALH (mk4 jetta/golf) diesl makes 90hp but chip adds 25hp/45lbft tq and injectors adds another of the same or so. You run out of clutch usually if you do both on a stock unit. Stock turbo is pretty much maxed out at that point. Swapping to another turbo the cheapest vnt 17/22 hybrid option should be good for 180 or so at the wheels and over 300lbft of torque

Upwards of 200hp you start needing to think about internal engine upgrades if I recall

the slightly later engines (04ish) are called PD for pump deuse and make a bit more power when modded

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
10/11/12 1:10 p.m.

In the Honda world you simply need to use the ecu, ignition switch (there's a chip in it) and the original key or get a JDM ecu. That's not too hard to do. But VWs require you to use the whole dash? Where is the chip located?

OK the wiring thing not being uber easy makes me wonder why bother. Besides the coolness factor of doing something different the simplicity factor had a lot going for it.

That banging & clattering noise you hear will be them knocking me around on the TDIclub site as I ask stupid questions and annoy the denizens of the deep.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
10/11/12 1:29 p.m.

They are a maker ish grassroots style bunch I am sure they will help you out

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/11/12 2:15 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: In the Honda world you simply need to use the ecu, ignition switch (there's a chip in it) and the original key or get a JDM ecu. That's not too hard to do. But VWs require you to use the whole dash? Where is the chip located?

I believe it has to do with the communications between the cluster and the ECU. There are ways to get around it, as I said before, but my friend that did it has resources not available to the average builder and even then he said it was enough of a PITA that it wasn't worth it for the next build.

Jaynen wrote: They are a maker ish grassroots style bunch I am sure they will help you out

This is true - they are used to the same questions getting asked over and over again, but the search function works pretty well on that site. But having been around for over 10 years, there's a lot to sift through and the idea of dropping TDI engines into non-VW's is a somewhat recent developement. Guys have been putting them into early Rabbits and whatnot for years tho, so I can't imagine it's a whole lot different.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
10/11/12 4:17 p.m.

Heck Top Gear put a new TDI motor into a first gen rabbit for a MPG test so I don't see how putting it into anything else is worse

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/11/12 5:21 p.m.

Damn you people... Now I am going to be reading tdiclub for a LONNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG time.....

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
10/11/12 5:30 p.m.

I've had the mental battle numerous times about modding mine

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/11/12 5:50 p.m.

Same here. I go back and forth with prepping my car for FSP. Then I think about the 300k miles I've driven the car and do I really want to beat on it now...

I honestly believe tdiclub is the best marque specific forum out there. Lots of very knowledgeable people and minimal b.s.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
10/11/12 10:58 p.m.

I'm learning a lot and I haven't even gotten to the forums yet.

They have a very good FAQ & Articles section. Of course since they have only one product to support that makes it easier.

It seems there are fewer upgrade routes, but those that exist are pretty well documented even down to power increases & problems.

Ultimately that makes it easier to modify and gives you a pretty good idea of what that mod will do for you.

Unfortunately some of the documentation on mods hasn't been updated in years. Does that mean nothing has changed or does it mean no one has documented issues. The camshafts are one case in point. It was last updated 9/02.

I love this one:

11. Blow-off valves or BOV or similar

Since people insist upon asking about these devices, they need to be discussed ... The purpose of a "blow-off valve" or "diverter valve" on a gasoline engine is to give boost pressure someplace to go when the throttle plate is abruptly closed, to prevent operating the compressor in the "surge" regime. Since a diesel engine doesn't have a throttle plate, a gadget like this serves absolutely no purpose and has no business anywhere on a diesel engine. "But I like the cool noise ..." Too bad, this discussion is focused on things that WORK. Even if you manage to find some way to make such a device work, the noise of people "in the know" laughing at you because they realize that it has absolutely no place on your engine will drown out the noise that the device itself makes.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
10/11/12 11:13 p.m.

Well most the information is the same. Some things only apply to the newer common rail diesels but there has not been a lot of new stuff

Essentially its all about fuel when it comes to making power with a diesel which the good news is adding power doesnt hurt mileage unless you use said power

Enyar
Enyar Reader
10/12/12 8:07 a.m.

Can't say my TDI has been the greatest car so far.....engine is great but everything else blows.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/12/12 8:08 a.m.

In reply to Enyar:

What year?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zvO5s6xkts8zS2bx31DsKoMwqiaC9MRB0HjPK45aQzVSDqDLHrMrFckXFKkLdEmN