1 2 3 4 5
jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/15/16 9:54 a.m.
dyintorace wrote:
chiodos wrote: Old folks need not apply to "performance" models. Dont get me wrong I know everyone can have a need for speed but I hear everyone bitch about stiffness and harshness but damn....maybe im just used to actually stiff cars
Your comment appears to be directed to me. Not sure if you know my age, but that's immaterial. My DD is an e46 M3 on PSS10 coilovers. You're not the only one who drives a stiff car. I stand by my statement that the suspension set up our V70R sucked balls. It was good at nothing and rode like a dump truck.

Maybe you shouldn't have bought a wagon first off. Yes the ride isn't as great as other vehicles but they did have suspension controls that you can use. Also I put a different set of tires on my car that made a world of difference. "Rode like a truck" is a very harsh statement, but one that I would expect from a BMW owner. I've polished off a lot of BMWs and their owners look rather peculiar when the k24 shows them who is boss. This is a lot of car for what you can buy them for and they are extremely dependable. If you can turn a wrench repair cost are extremely low.

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/15/16 10:05 a.m.

Here is a review of my s60R that I've owned for over a couple of years. It's my daily driver, I drive 70 miles a day. I've put 55k on her and she is still running strong. Video highlights performance and potential issues. From working on the car myself and doing my own repairs, I think this is a very solidly built vehicle.

https://youtu.be/JUXQqTDKN-4

mfennell
mfennell Reader
1/15/16 6:51 p.m.
jr10cross wrote:
dyintorace wrote:
chiodos wrote: Old folks need not apply to "performance" models. Dont get me wrong I know everyone can have a need for speed but I hear everyone bitch about stiffness and harshness but damn....maybe im just used to actually stiff cars
Your comment appears to be directed to me. Not sure if you know my age, but that's immaterial. My DD is an e46 M3 on PSS10 coilovers. You're not the only one who drives a stiff car. I stand by my statement that the suspension set up our V70R sucked balls. It was good at nothing and rode like a dump truck.
Maybe you shouldn't have bought a wagon first off. Yes the ride isn't as great as other vehicles but they did have suspension controls that you can use. Also I put a different set of tires on my car that made a world of difference. "Rode like a truck" is a very harsh statement, but one that I would expect from a BMW owner. I've polished off a lot of BMWs and their owners look rather peculiar when the k24 shows them who is boss. This is a lot of car for what you can buy them for and they are extremely dependable. If you can turn a wrench repair cost are extremely low.

You really should save your expect from a BMW owner nonsense for Swedespeed. This isn't the forum for it.

The stock R 4-C suspension IS awful. It way overreacts on sharp impacts. Moving the front accelerometers to the body lets it actually do some work.

The S60R was 0.5 sec behind its contemporaries through the quarter even back in the day (S4, C32 AMG, M3) and in the real world where you don't sidestep the clutch, it's even slower. It's fun and can make some decent noises with an exhaust but it's just not that fast.

What's wrong with the wagon? Its utility is the only reason to put up with the various quirks of the R IMHO.

""

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
1/15/16 6:57 p.m.
mfennell wrote: in the real world where you don't sidestep the clutch

Huh?

I don't street race, but I sure as hell do brake-torque my car to about 4psi boost when I see the cross traffic's light change to red.

(because BOOOOOOOOOST)

Granted, I don't have one of those archaic clutch and stick transmissions, but you do with what you got.

Harvey
Harvey Dork
1/15/16 8:09 p.m.
jr10cross wrote:
dyintorace wrote:

Yeahhh, kinda regretting pointing you to this thread now. No one on here gives a crap about who polished off who with what.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
1/15/16 9:29 p.m.

What you have here is a person whom is passionate about a car that they know and love. I have cars that I know and love, and do get offended when I feel someone has made a untrue statement about them. I have and will come to the defense of said car when it's virtues are threatened. I also realize that phenomenon exists and use it to my advantage to troll Ford owners.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
1/15/16 9:36 p.m.

I remember why I loathe Volvospeed so much.

Thanks for being so great GRM!

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
1/16/16 10:35 a.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote: What you have here is a shiny happy person whom is passionate about a car that they know and love. I have cars that I know and love, and do get offended when I feel someone has made a untrue statement about them. I have and will come to the defense of said car when it's virtues are threatened. I also realize that phenomenon exists and use it to my advantage to troll Ford owners.

FYP

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/19/16 10:01 a.m.

Sorry guys, but I have had quite a few friends who have bought BMWs and had my ear bleed at the constant interjection that there is nothing better. Maybe its been pent up aggression for constantly hearing the conversation go back to "the ultimate driving machine". Listen I don't hate BMWs, they are a great machine, but have a little more respect of a different approach and design. My point is that the S60R is a really nice car for the price and maintenance is low. Yes it is an underdog and yes maybe I'm trying to defend her. Guilty as charged.

Please don't send me back to Volvospeed!

I respect everyone here and their opinion. Hearing your baby handles like a truck, just didn't sit well. And I'll say it again she will really give you everything she's got and still get you home.

mfennell
mfennell Reader
1/19/16 10:13 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
mfennell wrote: in the real world where you don't sidestep the clutch
Huh? I don't street race, but I sure as hell do brake-torque my car to about 4psi boost when I see the cross traffic's light change to red. (because BOOOOOOOOOST) Granted, I don't have one of those archaic clutch and stick transmissions, but you do with what you got.

Brake torquing an automatic for a few psi just creates a little heat. Dumping the clutch on an AWD car is major mechanical trauma. The car under discussion is particularly ill-suited for it.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
1/19/16 10:26 a.m.
jr10cross wrote: Sorry guys, but I have had quite a few friends who have bought BMWs and had my ear bleed at the constant interjection that there is nothing better. Maybe its been pent up aggression for constantly hearing the conversation go back to "the ultimate driving machine". Listen I don't hate BMWs, they are a great machine, but have a little more respect of a different approach and design. My point is that the S60R is a really nice car for the price and maintenance is low. Yes it is an underdog and yes maybe I'm trying to defend her. Guilty as charged. Please don't send me back to Volvospeed! I respect everyone here and their opinion. Hearing your baby handles like a truck, just didn't sit well. And I'll say it again she will really give you everything she's got and still get you home.

Sentence commuted temporarily - just tone down the attitude and personal attacks or we'll start the tar and feather march again. It's great to love cars but it's also acceptable for others to criticize them even if it upsets you.

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
1/19/16 10:36 a.m.
jr10cross wrote:
dyintorace wrote:

Agreed with dculberson. I was already attacked in this thread for expressing my opinion (a firsthand opinion at that) and then you come along, as a new forum member, and tell me that my vehicle choices are inappropriate. To add further insult, you cast aspersion on me (and all BMW owners) simply because I own a BMW. No one is bagging on your choice of car. I'm thrilled you love it, as a matter of fact. It wasn't my cup of tea, so I moved on. To each his own!

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/19/16 10:46 a.m.

Last time I apologize on this forum, in fact maybe the last time I post here altogether. I say "my bad" and all you want to do is keep rubbing it in. Hey you win, my car sucks and you can tell me all about it. I never said a BMW's reliability sucks balls or anything like that. I just defended one of my cars. But again I'm the one with attitude.

So you can just reinstate the sentence apparently I deserve it.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
1/19/16 10:58 a.m.
jr10cross wrote: Last time I apologize on this forum, in fact maybe the last time I post here altogether. I say "my bad" and all you want to do is keep rubbing it in. Hey you win, my car sucks and you can tell me all about it. I never said a BMW's reliability sucks balls or anything like that. I just defended one of my cars. But again I'm the one with attitude. So you can just reinstate the sentence apparently I deserve it.

Jesus, dude, chill the hell out. You're way too high strung for someone talking to people they (apparently?) want to make friends with. We're pretty laid back here but don't take kindly to rudeness.

If you're like this with your friends, then sorry. You must be stressed out at work or something.

Harvey
Harvey Dork
1/19/16 11:14 a.m.

Holy crap the Internet sensitivity meter is off the scale in this one. Your car is not your identity. People are not bagging on you personally if they criticize aspects of a car that you happen to own (hell, you don't even own a V70R). There is a huge amount of personal preference involved here. One guy thinks something rides like a truck, the next guy doesn't.

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/19/16 11:16 a.m.
dculberson wrote:
jr10cross wrote: Last time I apologize on this forum, in fact maybe the last time I post here altogether. I say "my bad" and all you want to do is keep rubbing it in. Hey you win, my car sucks and you can tell me all about it. I never said a BMW's reliability sucks balls or anything like that. I just defended one of my cars. But again I'm the one with attitude. So you can just reinstate the sentence apparently I deserve it.
Jesus, dude, chill the hell out. You're way too high strung for someone talking to people they (apparently?) want to make friends with. We're pretty laid back here but don't take kindly to rudeness. If you're like this with your friends, then sorry. You must be stressed out at work or something.

Dude, really, you don't know me so stop trying to understand who I am and want I'm about. Don't presume to know how my friends feel or figure how my work day goes. I'm actually a really nice guy, and not overly opinionated. Well, usually at least. Your judgement is not appreciated and I don't need your guidance.

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/19/16 11:20 a.m.
Harvey wrote: Holy crap the Internet sensitivity meter is off the scale in this one. Your car is not your identity. People are not bagging on you personally if they criticize aspects of a car that you happen to own (hell, you don't even own a V70R). There is a huge amount of personal preference involved here. One guy thinks something rides like a truck, the next guy doesn't.

It did turn personal when I said "my bad, I got over zealuous" and these guys started trying teach a life lesson.

Harvey
Harvey Dork
1/19/16 12:06 p.m.
jr10cross wrote:
Harvey wrote: Holy crap the Internet sensitivity meter is off the scale in this one. Your car is not your identity. People are not bagging on you personally if they criticize aspects of a car that you happen to own (hell, you don't even own a V70R). There is a huge amount of personal preference involved here. One guy thinks something rides like a truck, the next guy doesn't.
It did turn personal when I said "my bad, I got over zealuous" and these guys started trying teach a life lesson.

You are still circling around the same problem, you're taking everything way too personally. You're even offended by people acknowledging that your mea culpa was appropriate.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
1/19/16 12:12 p.m.
jr10cross wrote: If the turbo is so slow to use why does Porsche use the same K24 in it's 911 turbo or Gt2?

Different engine, different results. In the Volvo's we're talking about here, the turbos are rather slow to build up pressure.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
1/19/16 12:28 p.m.
jr10cross wrote: Dude, really, you don't know me so stop trying to understand who I am and want I'm about. Don't presume to know how my friends feel or figure how my work day goes. I'm actually a really nice guy, and not overly opinionated. Well, usually at least. Your judgement is not appreciated and I don't need your guidance.

Have fun - it sounds like you need a day off.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
1/19/16 12:31 p.m.

Well, this thread went to hell in a hurry

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/19/16 12:38 p.m.
Harvey wrote:
jr10cross wrote:
You are still circling around the same problem, you're taking everything way too personally. You're even offended by people acknowledging that your mea culpa was appropriate.

I didn't take the things said about the car personal. It's about the R, it deserves more credit than what people are willing to initially give it. I don't feel that the comments about the R are a reflection of me. The R is just really a better car than the Jeremy Clarkson opinion out there. I'm sticking up for her, for all Rs who are stuck behind the Volvo badge. She's done everything I've asked her to and even more. Yes I love the car and I can't stand for people to talk so terribly about her. I'll defend her the same as someone talking about my mother. But I don't look at cars as just a vehicle to be judged quickly and sold when something more powerful and upgrade-able shows up. I understand that all cars have faults and weaknesses but you just can't go ruining reputations by making harsh comments. Make mention of the harsh ride, but saying it sucks balls is just simply uncouth.

I'm upset for her.

Harvey
Harvey Dork
1/19/16 1:05 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
jr10cross wrote: Dude, really, you don't know me so stop trying to understand who I am and want I'm about. Don't presume to know how my friends feel or figure how my work day goes. I'm actually a really nice guy, and not overly opinionated. Well, usually at least. Your judgement is not appreciated and I don't need your guidance.
Have fun - it sounds like you need a day off.

Can you just stop teaching life lessons already! Sheesh.

jr10cross
jr10cross New Reader
1/19/16 1:06 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote:
jr10cross wrote: If the turbo is so slow to use why does Porsche use the same K24 in it's 911 turbo or Gt2?
Different engine, different results. In the Volvo's we're talking about here, the turbos are rather slow to build up pressure.

But what do you think about this thread though?

http://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/658624-change-turbos-from-k16-to-k24.html

It supports what you say about it being slower to spool, but with the right ECU the spooling improves and they make a lot of top-end power. I guess that's why I felt the top end has "Go".

again this is just in question form, I'm not trying to show anyone up.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
1/19/16 1:28 p.m.

With modifications, things change and hopefully improve.

No real comment on a very specific Porsche modification thread as I've very little knowledge and even less experience with them.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iDOPyIk7EH0ipmodZutEGcVHNbYSWzs5SD74ORPMqcnDJTOyoTnWw0huKmNGlvKx