[Editor's Note: This article originally ran in the October 2018 Issue of Grassroots Motorsports. Some information may be different today.]

Meet Our Expert:

Sam Strano
Strano Performance Parts

stranoparts.com
(814) 849-3450

I just picked up a 2017 1LT with a Z07 that happens to be an aut…

Read the rest of the story

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/5/20 10:39 a.m.

No offense to Sam, but the big takeaway from this Tech Tips article seems to be "It's Complicated"

Shaun
Shaun Dork
6/5/20 7:07 p.m.

A C6 sounds like a more pleasant virtual owning experience!

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
6/6/20 11:26 a.m.

Seems like a modded C5 is still the best for motorsport all these years later. C6 and C7 may be faster stock and better road cars but are hard to develop and have a lot of issues that pop up when driven hard for a season.

skincare21
skincare21 New Spammer
6/6/20 11:46 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
6/6/20 12:20 p.m.

^For you to canoe on!

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
11/17/20 7:02 a.m.
GCrites80s said:

Seems like a modded C5 is still the best for motorsport all these years later. C6 and C7 may be faster stock and better road cars but are hard to develop and have a lot of issues that pop up when driven hard for a season.

Haven spent some time in a c5 and a c7, I cant IMAGINE why that would be the case. The c7 Grand Sport absolutely rockets around the track and has SERIOUS factory improvements that are not included on any c5. Dry sump. Extra radiators. Extra brake cooling. Aero. Fixed brake calipers. 

The thing is also a great place to be when driving to the track as well whereas the c5 has the interior of a 90s blazer.

The reason they are harder to develop is because they are SO FAST from the factory. You could easily tear out the magnaride shocks instead of getting a dsc module and go back 30 years with standard shock and spring setups. The traction control makes you feel like a hero in all conditions. The ABS is MUCH better. I cant believe anyone would pick a c5 over a c7 grand sport.

10 events so far on my brothers and he drops it off at the dealership for oil changes and warranty issues (minor navigation issue fixed with brand new navigation system). Try that with a c5.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
11/17/20 8:56 p.m.

Have you had a chance to compare a heavily modded C5 with a lightly modded C7 (since that's basically all that people who aren't pro race teams can do) in as intense as environment as the top modern Corvette people such as Strano and Danny Popp have? I haven't but I have seen them write on the subject. Yes stock for stock the C7 blows away the best stock C5 on a road course during track days/HDPE. It's when you really push that the driver aids become cumbersome on the C7 and the inability to improve the car with mods besides tires and forced induction start catching up with it in relation to the older cars.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
4/20/21 8:13 p.m.

Thought the Patreon was closed a couple weeks ago?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/21/21 9:29 a.m.

There was basically nothing of use in that article. No suggestions on alignments, for street and track, shocks, etc. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
4/21/21 11:11 a.m.

Sounds like those things are really dependent on which model/variant you have. A list for every different setup could be exhaustive.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
4/21/21 7:02 p.m.

10 events so far on my brothers and he drops it off at the dealership for oil changes and warranty issues (minor navigation issue fixed with brand new navigation system). Try that with a c5.

That's the grassroots answer right there.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) HalfDork
4/21/21 9:30 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

The dealership has told me I'm welcome to drop my C5 off for an oil change anytime.  They've got the parts in stock and everything! :P

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/22/21 8:18 a.m.
GCrites80s said:

Sounds like those things are really dependent on which model/variant you have. A list for every different setup could be exhaustive.

True, but if the answer to everything is "it depends," I don't really see the point of the article.

Even broad suggestions would be helpful.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3KObMfKHK8GzVtB7Uc7EcVPOxWS9lLSxfUebFPK5t0k3CvauombwJBw2tYj8Xatk