The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
1/31/19 11:01 a.m.

This article is from a past issue of the magazine. Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published, and get access to our full digital archive, by subscribing to Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Photo Courtesy Porsche

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
1/31/19 8:52 p.m.

I can’t believe the article mentions the IMS bearing....  a GT3 doesn’t have one!

And if I ever sell or trade my 2k 996 C2 it will be to get an 04 GT3.  

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
2/1/19 5:56 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

I can’t believe the article mentions the IMS bearing....  a GT3 doesn’t have one!

And if I ever sell or trade my 2k 996 C2 it will be to get an 04 GT3.  

It does, but it’s not a ball bearing. My 964 has the (extremely reliable) IMS shell bearing too. :)

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
2/1/19 11:40 a.m.

The GT3 and Turbo don't have the typical 996 IMS and they use the older Mezger motor, so no IMS Problem.  That's one of the reasons why I bought the Turbo instead of a cheaper C4S.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
2/1/19 1:03 p.m.

In reply to Nathan JansenvanDoorn :

I beg to differ.  It does have an IMS (intermediate shaft) but it is supported by an oil fed bushing, not a bearing.  So no IMS bearing. It’s similar, but very different too.  

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/1/19 1:07 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

If we're splitting hairs, a bushing is a type of bearing. It is a sleeve bearing.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
2/1/19 6:14 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

apples and oranges are both fruits too

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
2/1/19 7:07 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

So your car has big end rod and crank main bushings? Lol.

Porsche calls it a bearing, as does Pelican Parts. As does glyco, the manufacturer. But what do they know? 

I’m reasonably familiar with it as I replaced it when I did my top end and reseal on the 964.

My point is: the flat sixes have always had an IMS bearing, but the problems started when they went to a ball bearing.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
2/1/19 7:40 p.m.

In reply to Nathan JansenvanDoorn :

It’s still two different types of bearings, and one is more appropriate for the application.  The article’s reference to it is super misleading.

No Time
No Time Dork
2/1/19 8:18 p.m.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
2/1/19 9:54 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

True....  using this logic we could digress further into how Yugo’s and Porsche’s are both just cars and since a Yugo is cheaper it must be better.

No Time
No Time Dork
2/2/19 12:21 p.m.

Roller bearing, plain bearings, sleeve bearings, Babbitt bearings, ball bearings, needle bearings, and so forth. So does a SBC have cam bearings or cam bushings? 

Sometimes it not always about being 100% correct with terminology, but about getting the intent and meaning of the message to the intended audience.

From my perspective it seems like the argument here isn’t whether or not there is an IMS, but whether it’s a bearing or bushing. 

No matter that you call it, the real point is whether or both there is risk of failure in the IMS support. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ulTuIgDDL7gbUBkHBBbrdueDy7cxWQv2HlPuVJTthhlVEXKwY8kKvAMc87NOS3GD