1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/13/21 9:08 p.m.

Wow, I wasn't expecting such good praise for the American supercar step-child.

As I mentioned in my Porsche thread, I'm not sure what I will do yet, but everyone's praise for the Viper, is really giving me bad ideas :)

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
4/13/21 9:22 p.m.

Derek. Daaaaaaaaaaareeeeeeek! 

Corsepervita is the other, other resident Viper guy here. I'm certain that he will ring in

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
4/13/21 10:06 p.m.

A unique (and awesome) driving experience for sure.  Be ready for lots of attention wherever you go.

That last part is why I’d probably never want to own one.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/13/21 10:14 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

Myself and the better half were talking about that earlier. How much attention would we get going to one of our favorite brunch places on the weekend, with a ridiculous car like a Viper.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
4/13/21 10:30 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

Can't be any worse than LS3 miata on 255's 

I need to test drive one. Since I just can't do a vette. 

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
4/14/21 12:30 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

I've only driven Vipers on track; despite there reputation on find them user friendly, even the 700hp version. They have big wide tires so when they let go they really let go. They also have gobs of torque. 

I do remember some of the owners saying they weren't great if you had big feet, other than that I can't recall much bad about them.

That has been my experience as well.  They are forgiving, and I say this in a good way, they drive like a Miata that creates a lot of power.

As to the getting attention post, my co-worker said he gets his picture taken almost daily, and that his wife won't ride in it without makeup.  Most people think it is a Ferrari.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/14/21 12:53 p.m.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
4/14/21 1:30 p.m.
racerdave600 said:
Most people think it is a Ferrari.

Wat?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
4/14/21 1:41 p.m.

I had a 97 GTS, it required nothing more than oil changes while I owned it(around 5k miles). Vipers turn heads everywhere you go because its a viper. Everything I ever heard from other owners was that they are reliable. Even without traction control or ABS they aren't out to kill you like you will read in magazines. Only once did I slide to a stop approaching a traffic light, it made me feel like a fool. I enjoyed the driving experience but not the attention it gathered every time I made a stop at a store or gas station.  

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/14/21 1:48 p.m.
racerdave600 said:
Tom1200 said:

I've only driven Vipers on track; despite there reputation on find them user friendly, even the 700hp version. They have big wide tires so when they let go they really let go. They also have gobs of torque. 

I do remember some of the owners saying they weren't great if you had big feet, other than that I can't recall much bad about them.

That has been my experience as well.  They are forgiving, and I say this in a good way, they drive like a Miata that creates a lot of power.

As to the getting attention post, my co-worker said he gets his picture taken almost daily, and that his wife won't ride in it without makeup.  Most people think it is a Ferrari.

They are forgiving up to about 7/10th anything beyond that without serious suspension work and really good tires they are seriously woolly. Expecially the Gen 1 and 2 they need serious alignment to work above those speeds. Not that you are hitting anything clsoe to that on the street and 90% of the owners have no idea how fast that actaully is. 

calteg
calteg Dork
4/14/21 1:52 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Viper would be better in that regard. Similar power, but much wider rubber.

I've only ever driven the first gen Viper, and they struck me as crude look-at-me-mobiles. Go in expecting a slightly more refined kit car Cobra and you're on the right track.

To show how far modern cars have progressed, a '17 Mustang GT puts up identical numbers to a first gen Viper, while having a "backseat", a usable trunk, real ergonoimcs, and potentially a warranty. But if you have to be the center of attention all the time, get a Viper

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/14/21 3:04 p.m.

Vipers vipe the vater off your vindshield

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
4/14/21 3:16 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:
racerdave600 said:
Tom1200 said:

They are forgiving up to about 7/10th anything beyond that without serious suspension work and really good tires they are seriously woolly. Expecially the Gen 1 and 2 they need serious alignment to work above those speeds. Not that you are hitting anything clsoe to that on the street and 90% of the owners have no idea how fast that actaully is. 

Most of my experience is in the gen 2.  I did a right seat at a Viper Day once and it was interesting.  Let's just day skill levels varied...a lot. 

I found the 2nd gen coupe to be very forgiving at the limit on track.  It would not try to kill you if you did stupid things in the same way Porsches will.  

Co-worker's Viper in the background, P car is mine.  Only pic I have of it unfortunately.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/14/21 3:19 p.m.
ShawnG said:
racerdave600 said:
Most people think it is a Ferrari.

Wat?

They are not us. If it isn't a beige Camry, it might as well be a Ferrari. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/14/21 3:22 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Vipers vipe the vater off your vindshield

That was an awesome  G.I. Joe episode.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/15/21 2:41 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:
racerdave600 said:
Tom1200 said:

Nice! I always laugh at kids who talk about Canyon runs and stuff like that. 

Years ago when I did a track day in my 1.6 Miata, my instructor that day was a really cool woman who had wins/experience in the Porsche GT3 cup cars. 

I was flabbergasted at what she could do on the brakes in my car. I picked up an insane amount of time in the car after going for a ride with her. 

Sorry, I know that's bit random.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zyOibXgQ9bT8R7ZlLRvjCGXSccoKfYeaklLru6XzCPAUoiXCGdbLvH0tAC3qzh5o