1 2 3
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/19/21 11:05 a.m.

ok, so I'm getting closer and closer to really digging into my MGB GT project (it's getting a drivetrain and electrical system from a 1.6 miata), and over the weekend I had one of those 'epiphanies' that you can't be sure if its a really good idea or a really bad idea. Or both. Anyway, talk about it. 

I have a 1974 MGB GT with chrome bumpers (I'm not sure many rubber bumper GTs made it stateside, so maybe I don't need to say chrome bumper). 

The epiphany came from my kids leaving a matchbox car out on the floor. It is a matchbox car of the Magnus walker 277:

Hot Wheels - '71 Porsche's 911 lot of 2 Magnus Walker Urban Outlaw

I noticed that an MGB GT actually has lines that are similar to a 911. Then I thought about my MGB GT. Then I thought, what if I copied that look on my B GT? That could be cool. I liked that idea. Then I thought about it a bit more. And looked at it more. Then I thought about getting rubber bumpers for my GT (sacrilege!) since it might even look better with the magnus walker treatment. 

So, whats the feeling on something that looks like this (lowered significantly in front), but with blue bumpers and red hood?

MGB GT WHITE 1979

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/19/21 11:22 a.m.

It'll look like someone trying to copy an influencer? Magnus Walker's aesthetics are the equivalent of distressed ripped jeans at a high end boutique, a car pretending to be cobbled together out of spare parts. Make your car look good.

I dunno, man, for my money, I'd never go chrome to rubber bumpers. The other way, sure, or even better, shaved.

The Outlaw concept is legit, though. Basically, period correctish exterior, with mods to make functional, reliable speed-heck yeah.

Are you adapting miata suspension, as well? Keith's car needed flares to even cover stock 14" wheels/tires. Not that there's the first thing wrong with that.

Also, since I'm offering opinions, while cool, I never exactly got why that livery of Mr. Walkers turned so many heads. Sure it's cool, but there are others from his collection I like a lot more.

nocones
nocones UberDork
1/19/21 11:27 a.m.

I think it could work. 

Don't actually add the rubber bumpers, make fiberglass bumpers that look like the rubber bumpers.  The rubber bumpers are hilariously heavy and the rubber deforms and sags easily.  

I think the big issue with the BGT aesthetically when trying to make it look like that is that it doesn't have hips.  I think if you added a subtle 2" widening of the rear fender that gave it a little bit of rear it could have a 911 esq look to it.  The front is very similar obviously (7" round headlights on pontoon fenders).  The other thing is the way the MGB sills roll into the car.  It makes the visual break between the car and the ground a little more abrupt.  I've not looked a lot at what MGB sill options there are if you could square it off a little.  

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/19/21 11:28 a.m.

Can't say I've ever seen a rubber bumper MGB with painted bumpers that look good. Something about their shape. They already look like an afterthought, and paint just enhances that effect.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/19/21 11:33 a.m.

I'd like to point out that the visual similarities between the 911 and the MG are the reason I decided to buy a GT and stick a V8 in it instead of just buying an air-cooled 911 15 years ago.

Follow me for more financial advice!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/19/21 11:35 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

I prefer these rather than the bumper addition.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/19/21 11:38 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Magnus Walker's aesthetics are the equivalent of distressed ripped jeans at a high end boutique, a car pretending to be cobbled together out of spare parts. Make your car look good.

THANK YOU.

Seriously, thank you.

There's not much style I care for less than the exquisitely-crafted I don't give a E36 M3 look.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/19/21 11:45 a.m.

I see this and almost want to keep the GT as a next project.

Carson
Carson SuperDork
1/19/21 11:46 a.m.

If you go with different paint on panels, in my opinion, the Sebring MGC GTS-look looks really good bumperless, a different colored front valence and big meatballs. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/19/21 11:50 a.m.

Not a fan of the Sebring rear flares myself - they're blobby on a body that's crisp - but the rear bumper looks good.

I would suggest that the MG may have more in common with a 356 than a 911 stylistically, at least when it comes to the details. So maybe borrow some styling elements from there? Such as little nerf bars instead of bumpers.

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/19/21 11:50 a.m.

I don't know if you have seen the built official mg he is working on. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/19/21 11:55 a.m.

I will say I like Keith's clean and crisp flares much more than the bulbous Sebring flares that are so common on MGBs. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/19/21 11:58 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

Yeah, I was definitely thinking fiberglass bumpers. Would be much easier to paint as well. 

Carson
Carson SuperDork
1/19/21 12:03 p.m.

Fair play to all. I love the bulbous flares, but I don't have an MG.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/19/21 12:05 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

Magnus Walker is working on that? I haven't seen it, but part of the reason I like the MGB is because it is skinny. I dont want huge flares like that on mine. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/19/21 12:19 p.m.

I've been giving some thought to the flares on mine in the past few days, I'll post an update.

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/19/21 12:20 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I worded my post poorly. There is a guy with a channel called "built official" that is the guy doing that big flared MG. 

Not Magnus Walker. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/19/21 12:23 p.m.
Duke said:
Keith Tanner said:

Magnus Walker's aesthetics are the equivalent of distressed ripped jeans at a high end boutique, a car pretending to be cobbled together out of spare parts. Make your car look good.

THANK YOU.

Seriously, thank you.

There's not much style I care for less than the exquisitely-crafted I don't give a E36 M3 look.

Quoted for truth. Everyone talks about his personal sense of style. The dude looks like he is homeless. And I don't get the oohing and aahing over his cars. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/19/21 12:29 p.m.

A trashy trend: derelicte fashion is really on the runways

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
1/19/21 12:40 p.m.

I have no problem with what Walker has done to 277. It's his car and he likes it that way. It's a mechanically sound car with lackluster cosmetics that he enjoys driving. I do the same thing with my Miata. It's currently 3 different colours of silver which drives a couple of members of the local Miata club buggy, especially since I'm on the club executive, and it's a decent driver car. It will never get waxed or polished and when it's used up I'll buy another.

Now, would I mimic Walker's colour scheme?....No, I'd do my own thing, but it would be a driver and not a trailer queen that never sees rain or snow. To me, 277 is just his version of the patina trend.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
1/19/21 12:42 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I'd like to point out that the visual similarities between the 911 and the MG are the reason I decided to buy a GT and stick a V8 in it instead of just buying an air-cooled 911 15 years ago.

Follow me for more financial advice!

Tanner you bastard.................you've crushed my dreams of an air colled 911 with a logical financially non ruinous course of action that I am powerless to ignore.....dammit

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
1/19/21 12:52 p.m.

This MG turns my crank......

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/19/21 1:44 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

It's a mechanically sound car with lackluster cosmetics that he enjoys driving.

That is not any issue at all.  I'm all in on function over form.

It's the carefully, preciously lackluster cosmetics that I have a problem with.

But as you say, it is his car, not mine.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/19/21 1:48 p.m.
Duke said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

It's a mechanically sound car with lackluster cosmetics that he enjoys driving.

That is not any issue at all.  I'm all in on function over form.

It's the carefully, preciously lackluster cosmetics that I have a problem with.

But as you say, it is his car, not mine.

It's patina vs distressing.

Patina comes from regular use and care of a quality product over time.

Distressing is the intentional abuse of a product to give it the appearance of patina.

My Targa Miata has patina, it shows the result of being a hard working testbed and race car for over a decade. My MG (accidentally) is distressed as I destroyed the new paint by wetsanding it poorly. Using intentionally mis-matched body panels - ESPECIALLY with new paint - would also fall under distressing.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zLxoFDoLHlxp5bWfovktBd6WpkBqGAaNvl8KoGmt8jYqMS1gfyu81hmU3wU2yXt2