1 2
Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
2/10/14 8:21 p.m.

I'd do a type3 VW squareback, myself.

Or really any smallish wagon.

I think the Falcon wagon idea has legs. Get it worked on anywhere if it did break.

maj75
maj75 New Reader
2/10/14 9:28 p.m.

Funny you should post this.

I had an earlier thread about flying from Miami, to LA, buying a classic and driving abound California. Then if I felt like it, driving it home. I've been Craigslist shopping for a month in the LA Craigslist. Ironically, a 2002 is high on the list. I'm looking at a $5-6000 budget and a 2002 is certainly in consideration. I'm interested in a Cali car because I hate rust.

I can tell you that given your budget, you won't find anything cool, in Cali, with two doors from the 60's that you could drive cross country. You can find wagons, but not cool ones like a Vista Cruiser. I saw a '68 Pontiac Catalina wagon that would fit the bill. You can find full size 4 door cars in pretty good condition. Think Buick Electra 225 or Pontiac Bonneville. Fords and Chevys are tougher because the ones with big engines are desirable for muscle car swaps. You can't find a decent VW bus for that money although you can find nice Beetles. I've considered a Beetle, because I rusted examples are rare in Florida. For that matter, so are 2002s, and E30 Coupes.

Good luck and for for it. I will be updating my thread with the car selection and the road trip adventure!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SskboBHVVVPWCw2f7lkfPuPG6by7drDPHS4iT7iwRb0aRUSOEpoj5GCtZj7ammjT