1 2
Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
12/28/21 7:09 p.m.

I keep seeing this Facebook ad. I know nothing about them but it looks like fun and I would likely have the only one in Dayton Ohio.

Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/28/21 7:16 p.m.

The engine exhaust comes out right after the front wheel side-pipe style so if you sit still with the windows down you'll die from carbon monoxide.

Otherwise they are supposed to be pretty brilliant.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
12/28/21 7:20 p.m.

I've never even heard of them, but Car and Driver seemed to hate them. Looks cool though.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/28/21 8:19 p.m.

There's a guy who still commutes in one somewhere near me. I see it once or twice a week. Even a decade+ later it's still a gorgeous car, though I don't know much about them.

The upside is that the exact same car is still produced in China and has been for like a decade - Karma automotive, which is the company that bought the original Fisker when it went bankrupt due to battery supplier going out of business. So I expect spare parts are available through Alibaba, perhaps? The car is now called the Karma GS-6 (and oddly, is the official luxury car of the Las Vegas Raiders, even though it's not sold in the US?)

https://www.karmaautomotive.com/

Side note: totally unrelated to the new Fisker that's coming out with a new SUV next year, other than it's the same guy (Henrik Fisker) who started both. He kept the name when he sold the original company to China. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/28/21 8:31 p.m.

You could buy an Evo X MR and rallycross it and have money left over.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
12/28/21 8:32 p.m.

They are surprisingly huge.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/28/21 8:44 p.m.

You'd have to go to Flint, MI to pick it up?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/28/21 8:46 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Hey, I got my S60R from halfway between Flint and Detroit and it turned out okay.

Granted, driving at night in a slushstorm through road construction reroutes in heavy traffic in a completely unfamiliar car that felt about 3 feet wider than anything I'd ever owned was not the best idea in the world.  But it all worked out in the end.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/28/21 8:54 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Having been to Flint, East Saint Louis, and Gary, if I had to go back to one of them, Flint would be my first choice.

On a more serious note, they are a great looking car, but I think I'd find something else to blow $40k on.  

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/28/21 8:58 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

You could buy an Evo X MR and rallycross it and have money left over.

I keep shopping these and hoping to find a deal.... 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
12/28/21 9:11 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

There's a guy who still commutes in one somewhere near me. I see it once or twice a week. Even a decade+ later it's still a gorgeous car, though I don't know much about them.

The upside is that the exact same car is still produced in China and has been for like a decade - Karma automotive, which is the company that bought the original Fisker when it went bankrupt due to battery supplier going out of business. So I expect spare parts are available through Alibaba, perhaps? The car is now called the Karma GS-6 (and oddly, is the official luxury car of the Las Vegas Raiders, even though it's not sold in the US?)

Side note: totally unrelated to the new Fisker that's coming out with a new SUV next year, other than it's the same guy (Henrik Fisker) who started both. He kept the name when he sold the original company to China. 

They're sold in the USA. There are about 40 dealers at the moment. As for the 2012, they're beautiful cars, the strange part is they dropped to $35k when Fisker went under, and have stayed there since. I would have guessed they'd be in the 20s by now since they were $35k in 2015 (for a 2012)

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/28/21 9:25 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

They're sold in the USA. There are about 40 dealers at the moment. As for the 2012, they're beautiful cars, the strange part is they dropped to $35k when Fisker went under, and have stayed there since. I would have guessed they'd be in the 20s by now since they were $35k in 2015 (for a 2012)

huh, didn't know that. I would have thought I'd see one around here in the DC area (still have never seen a Karma other than the white one I've been seeing for years, which is definitely a Fisker/non-China one). 

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/28/21 10:01 p.m.

Well, if the batteries fail now that they're out of warranty you know you'll have no option other than to blow it up.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/28/21 10:15 p.m.

In reply to psteav (Forum Supporter) :

Lolzers.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
12/28/21 11:27 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Dealer in Vienna. https://www.karmawashingtondc.com

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
12/29/21 1:57 a.m.

Why don't have a contest of the worst reason not to buy it. Here is my entry:

"Because people you don't know and whose opinion has no influence on your life might think less of you."

STM317
STM317 UberDork
12/29/21 4:56 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

On the outside anyway. Meanwhile, the interior is small enough that they're classed as a sub-compact by the EPA

They have 32miles of EV range which is pretty cool for a PHEV of that age, but they get 20mpg (on Premium) when the ICE is on which is pretty awful for a car like this.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/29/21 6:16 a.m.

I seem to recall that the build quality on these was hella E36 M3ty. Like, panel gaps that wildly varied, interiors that randomly fell apart, taillights and headlights that were full of moisture right from the factory. The exhaust that blew up into the driver's front window was also pretty strange.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
12/29/21 7:07 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

huh, didn't know that. I would have thought I'd see one around here in the DC area (still have never seen a Karma other than the white one I've been seeing for years, which is definitely a Fisker/non-China one). 

Clarksburg(Maryland) Cars & Coffee has a black one that comes up nearly every weekend with his son. Good guy to talk to and he has a ton of miles on his(FWIW i think he said north of 60-80k miles on it?). He has a bunch of other fast rides but seems to bring the Fisker out more than others since it garners so much attention.

And as stated before, the car is deceptively large. Looking at photos does no justice to how wide/long it is compared to other 4 door super sedans.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/29/21 7:25 a.m.

When I saw the title my brain went here - obviously I'm wrong but this is the car I first thought you were interested in.  

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/29/21 8:12 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

That's quite a jump...but there is NO reason not to buy a Consulier.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
12/29/21 8:15 a.m.

Back in 2012, I read about these in a car magazine, guessed that I would never see one.  Literally saw one the next day, on older lady out shopping on East Fulton in Grand Rapids.   Very pretty car in person.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/29/21 8:19 a.m.

I suspect that a used model S would be faster, more practical, and easier to live with. But damn the Karma is still an amazing looking car. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/29/21 8:19 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I was at South Beach in Miami on a work trip back when they first came out and there was one cruising up and down the strip. I was shocked at how huge the car was, it looked like it was blown up to 1.25x normal size - it looked cartoonish.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
12/29/21 8:56 a.m.

Supremely impractical, awful build quality, definitely unreliable, but so so good to look at.

The one person I know who had one never drove it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xsW1sxNMcYzNSj0cNMiV0sZMIRiH2F4nnIuybQh9b88JJWl6d6xzfiPtbHNCTT14