2 3 4 5
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/26/22 10:27 p.m.

Do the tow mirrors.  Nothing better than having a lot of mirror.  I was curious on what they cost, aftermarket.  $126.99 for a pair seems cheap.   There might even be sources for $99/pair?   That's new, aftermarket.  I don't know if you can find what you want in JY.  Maybe slightly cheaper. 

When you get a chance, maybe after tire install, how about some genuine, full body pictures of this rig?  So far just some partial pictures. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/26/22 10:40 p.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/26/22 10:45 p.m.

What year is the Suburban?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/26/22 10:55 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

It is a 2002 Suburban 2500.

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
4/29/22 1:37 p.m.
Stampie said:
Toyman! said:

In reply to Stampie :

I would run from the rust, but the mileage is not an issue. My Suburban has over 350k on it now and runs flawlessly. 

And just like that I own a 2500 Suburban. I created a fake Facebook account and talked to the owner last night. He mentioned having to move his boat to get the Suburban out so I figured that's where the rust came from. 

I went over this evening and sure enough it's crusty but only like the back foot or so. Seller seemed like a good guy. He used to work as a mechanic at a car lot. The owner of the lot bought the Suburban at 50k miles, put another 100k on it then this guy bought it. 

Needs a detail, battery, at least one tire, and rear passenger window regulator.  After checking out the exterior I went to do a test drive. First I decided to shut the door on my finger.

Maybe that got him to feel sorry for me. We made a deal at $3k. I'll steal my truck battery in the morning and go get it. 

It bit you, and you bled on it, making it yours.... 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/29/22 2:18 p.m.

In reply to StripesSA1 :

You know I did think man it'll suck if I bleed on his Suburban and don't like it enough to buy it. 

So this morning I got the tires mounted then hit the DMV to transfer the tag over. I need some Miata rollers so I headed down to Holly Hill to get a set for $100. 

Suburban doing Suburban things. 

I was only a couple of miles from GRM World Headquarters so I had to stop by for a pic.

I'm back in Jacksonville waiting for Lil Stampie to get out of school so I took the pictures John requested. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/29/22 4:15 p.m.

Looking good! 

Lots of fade to the color of the passenger mirror. Yeah, tow mirrors will be a nice addition. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
4/29/22 5:00 p.m.

Of all of our vehicles, the Suburban is probably the most useful. Unfortunately my wife claimed it as hers and I rarely get to drive it. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/29/22 6:22 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Yeah I didn't realize how much I missed my old 92 Suburban.  No pictures but we just took off the running boards.  You'll be happy to know that none of the bolts were rusty.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
4/30/22 6:54 p.m.

My wife is short. If I took off the running boards she would need a stool to get in the seat. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/30/22 6:59 p.m.

That really was a score. Got it for the Stampie price. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/30/22 7:35 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Stampie price but I think I'm about to hit spending 50% of the price on upgrades/fixes.  Weathertech mats front, middle, and rear are cheaper than I thought.  I hear them calling me.

Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie New Reader
5/13/22 4:19 p.m.

first road trip in the suburban, this thing is way to long it was a pain to get it all in frame.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/13/22 4:21 p.m.

In reply to Lil_Stampie :

Are the fresh tires mounted yet?  How are they? 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/13/22 8:46 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yes got the new tires on a couple of weeks ago. Ride is smooth. You can tell it's sprung higher than the 1500 trucks I had before but pulls the trailer so well empty I kept looking back to see if it was still there. We got 15mpg towing empty but that was mostly flat land.

Lil Stampie called back seat when we left the house. That let him spread out and have his his own AC controls. At the Georgia line I reached up and turned off the back AC. It took him 30 minutes to notice it was off. Overall we're happy with it. Looking forward to see how it tows loaded tomorrow.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/13/22 8:53 p.m.

Sounds like this is The Lil Stampie chauffeur limo.  Is there a little window partition between front and back?  Are you allowed to speak directly to him while you're driving. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
5/13/22 9:14 p.m.

whoa whoa whoa......you bought that with rumpled front bumper facia whodathoughit ?!!??!!!!! Unacceptable!!!!..........wink .................awesome Stamps carry on

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/13/22 9:28 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

It'll get a replacement from the junkyard. Got other fish to fry first.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
5/13/22 9:57 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

It'll get a replacement from the junkyard. Got other fish to fry first.

don't sweat it go fry fish .....just goofin.....dude if that's the only 'blemish' c'mon bro ...outa the park as they say...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/14/22 7:48 a.m.

Buying with a bumper like that is just smart buying.  Something like that can often be $1,000 off the price and a $100 repair/replace!  

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/14/22 8:28 a.m.

Is this bringing the C3 home?  Nice way to break it in.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/14/22 10:57 p.m.

In reply to Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) :

Yes it did.  I forgot to update it's first trip.  I never questioned you guys but yep you were right.  It pulled great.  I like how the 4L80E shifts.  Nice solid shift vs the maybe it's coming soon shift of the 4L60E.  If anything I could complain about is driving off cruise control it required more pedal effort to downshift.  Once on cruise it was no problem.  Speaking of cruise I set it at 80 and just went.  A couple of times off cruise I found myself at 85 keeping up with traffic and again never noticed any issues.  Couldn't have done that with my 1500.  In fact by the end of the trip I noticed little things like when passing a semi in my 1500 I'd always prepare for a little sway by making sure I had both hands on the wheel.  Didn't get any sway with the Suburban. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
5/15/22 7:08 p.m.

Apparently nothing else ....dude is in your way.............stomp it!!!!

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/27/22 7:40 a.m.

Doing more tow things. 

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/27/22 7:51 a.m.

Now you're getting serious.  I "dig" what you're towing.  Doesn't look like the suspension is suffering too much.  Seems like a good buy so far. You know, around 15 mpg ain't too shabby.

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gyUBM115uWZtz4SZcjeP3HbNOcGB7XS71mflpjShewTvMCvxWXb4WMPfFgkqdbLZ