1 2 3 4
JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/9/20 9:05 p.m.

My username is my name and initial.  My avatar is the car that I am trying to build a replica of

tb
tb Dork
4/9/20 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

I like that you always sign things with "Margie". In my mind it all works well with Katie, Tommy and Timmy and helps for people like me who suck at remembering names!

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/9/20 9:15 p.m.

In the "olden days" it seemed like all the internet trolls wanted to hide behind their username. I figured I didn't have anything to hide, so here I am. Of course that was also before cybercriminals started stealing people's information... 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/9/20 9:16 p.m.

I am really Pete240z - first name Pete and I've only owned a $250 parts car 240Z. 

I felt it was realistic that I since I previously owned a 310 I become that guy.  

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
4/9/20 9:18 p.m.

From junior high intramurals: "Skinny G and His Fat Beer-Drinking Buddies"

.... my first name starts with G.

11GTCS
11GTCS New Reader
4/9/20 9:18 p.m.

I’m not very clever, not clever at all.   I have a 2011 Mustang GT California Special so 11GTCS... sorry guys, I’ll try not to be a crowd plow.   

Edited to add my avatar is the business parts of some turbomachinery that does not involve creating boost but rather is an integral part of making a big building cool.   That little beauty gets spun up to about 13,000 RPM by a speed increasing transmission and a 900 HP motor.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/9/20 9:19 p.m.

1998, summer between sophomore and junior year of high school I got an '88 300ZX.

Chassis code, Z31. And the first car forum I ever joined was the z31.com the same summer. I loved that car, thought it was so awesome and I still have a soft spot for them.

So I chose z31maniac as my username. I've used it on every forum since.

Trent (Generally supportive dude)
Trent (Generally supportive dude) PowerDork
4/9/20 9:20 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Should read aloud as disturbed 13.

I had no idea. For the longest time I just said Duster bee-dee but that sorta turned into duster buddy over the years.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
4/9/20 9:28 p.m.

My family mispronounces and misspells Busby. We say Buzz-Bee and spell it Busbey. My dad and his brothers are known in their respective communities as Buzz. I picked the name as a 12 year old on the internet and haven't changed it, save for adding a 7 at the end when the actual name is taken.

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/9/20 9:52 p.m.

When GRM first started this forum I had an Iguana. I had rescued him when he was almost dead and had lost his tail from malnutrition.  Eventually  I wound up rescuing a whole bunch of other lizards, long story short. He was very friendly and fun* so I named him Hasbro for the toy company.  Anyway, a couple of rock Iguanas got a hold of him and tore him up pretty badly to the point where he eventually died. For a dumb tree chicken he was a really cool animal, knew me and my cats, even recognized my cars and truck and I was mourning him at the time of this forum's inception. So my moniker is in honor of a very cool three foot lizard.

*Iguanas can become very aggressive if direct sunlight hits their parietal "third eye", iirc. They're little teeth are like razor blades and can cause severe laceration injuries.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/9/20 10:05 p.m.

I started college at Maine Maritime. My sophomore spring I accepted an internship at NASA Johnson Space center as a bunch of my fellow sophomores were accepting Cadet Shipping billets on ships and oil rigs all over the world. A buddy mentioned that I was the Space Cadet one day at lunch and I liked it. I then started using it as a handle for email, forums and online gaming after that. 

Photo is of the 91 Civic Si SCCA STS Autox car in the pouring rain at Solo Nats in 2016. it's the first car I bought from Mazdeuce and the one that brought me onto the forum. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
4/9/20 10:10 p.m.

I used to be 69Midget. Which unfortunately not the fun kind. I had a 69 MG Midget for 25 years. 
then I sold it and got an E36 M3 which was fortunate, as the timing coincided with the GRM board renaming E36M3 as the E36 M3. So I took advantage. 
The reason I don't use my real name is that I'm no Jim Smith. Brust - I'm the only guy I've ever met with that name. Spurs a little insecurity with regard to privacy. 

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
4/9/20 10:25 p.m.

It’s the scientific name for the European honeybee.  I like honeybees. I’m a 4th or 5th or who knows generation beekeeper.  When I registered here (or reregistered, after I retired my first GRM account) I was doing research on them for a MS.  I also don’t like honey.

John Welsh (Forum Supporter)
John Welsh (Forum Supporter) Mod Squad
4/9/20 10:25 p.m.
tb said:

In reply to Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter) :

Maybe it is because I just earned the "Dr." Part like a year ago but I just can't get used to actually being called Doctor or referring to myself as such... maybe I should update my username!

Nah, not my style. I just found it interesting that so far this thread is highly educated.

Don't miss out on the opportunity to be known as

Doctor Tuberculosis 

devil

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
4/9/20 10:38 p.m.

It's my name...

Used to be Trans-maro because the first 2nd-gen Trans-Am I ever bought was someone's failed Chevy swap project. "Hurr-durr same as a Camaro" No it's not and that's why nothing worked properly when I got it. I got a Trans-Am with a Camaro engine in it, it was a Trans-maro.

John Welsh (Forum Supporter)
John Welsh (Forum Supporter) Mod Squad
4/9/20 10:42 p.m.

My original GRM handle was jrw1621. 

This was a combination of my initials and the address of my first house. In about 1996 AOL spit this out to me as a suggestion for AOL handle and first email addresses.  I stayed with it for years. Eventually, after attending GRM events and taking things from a virtual world to an actual world, I found the mouthful of numbers and letters cumbersome. You can not easily introduce yourself as a series of letters and numbers. 

How to transition into a new name becomes a quandary. My method was to make it evolutionary.  I then went to JohnRW1621. With this then people can easily address you picking out just your name. I then dropped all the letter/number alphabet salad and went to just my name. But, through that transition, I continued to keep my avatar the same. 

The avatar was a found image that became my inspiration for the class insignia of The Aristocrats Class at the $2015 Challenge.  The plan all along was to bestow the avatar insignia onto the winner of The Aristocrats Class.  I did not expect to win the class that I formed. 

First name from my father's uncle. Last name from my Wales decent. 

tb
tb Dork
4/9/20 10:53 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Forum Supporter) :

When you put the two together I kinda like the way that sounds!

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
4/9/20 10:59 p.m.

I grew up skateboarding. Since I could walk really. Went through a phase in high school where I didn't ever wear shoes. Still skated. Scars are still there. Anyway, that period was when I got my first email address and I've just used it ever since. 

MTechnically (Forum Supporter)
MTechnically (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/9/20 11:09 p.m.

Bit of a older BMW fan, I currently have three of them. Mtech parts are usually the coolest of the cool OEM stuff and my cars tend to be on the bottom half of what the average enthusiast focuses on. So a bit of a play on what I like and what's technically considered the "right" choices from a collectors perspective.

_
_ Dork
4/9/20 11:13 p.m.

_

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
4/9/20 11:15 p.m.

I have a '70 Firebird Esprit. While doing the bodywork the first time I repainted it (circa '90) a buddy convinced me to trade him a nice hybrid bicycle for all the exterior parts to make it look like a Trans Am. I owned a bike shop and he parted out 2nd gen Firebirds/trans Ams on the side. Once completed and on the road, Pontiac purists would come up and start telling me how I'd ruined a rare Trans Am by modifying it and not painting it an original color and what not.

I got tired of getting grief and listening to them patiently long enough to catch a pause in their rant to tell them it was "only" an Esprit and I'd installed Trans Am body parts. Then I got the idea to get the vanity license plate NOT A TA and just point to it whenever someone started in on me. When the internet got invented and chat rooms then forums got started I used the name to avoid explaining over & over that my car wasn't a TA from the factory.

Eventually the car appeared in a couple magazines like Hot Rod and was on the cover of PHR with a feature so a lot of car guys saw it.  By then we could then post pics on the internet without spending a half hour uploading one pic and so the car was recognized by most of the purists if they saw it at a race or wherever. Later when I moved to FL I just accepted any random license plate they issued me but still use the screen name everywhere on the internet..

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
4/9/20 11:20 p.m.

berkeley you, I'm not telling you E36 M3 about me, my screen name, or my favorite car!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/9/20 11:22 p.m.
z31maniac said:

1998, summer between sophomore and junior year of high school I got an '88 300ZX.

Chassis code, Z31. And the first car forum I ever joined was the z31.com the same summer. I loved that car, thought it was so awesome and I still have a soft spot for them.

So I chose z31maniac as my username. I've used it on every forum since.

I mistakenly thought it was some special model of Chevy. Like the Z24 Cavalier, Z28 Camaro, and Z34 Lumina. laugh

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
4/9/20 11:23 p.m.

Mine’s pretty self explanatory. I like turbo charged cars. It looks like I’ve passed on that trait. My avatar is an older picture of my daughter “installing” a turbo on her Little Tikes car. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa HalfDork
4/9/20 11:24 p.m.

Middle name (Ae-sah)

Avatar is from a weekend boat outing a couple years back with a bunch of old boat guys. https://imgur.com/gallery/wR4HJ

I liked the mohawk I had, wish I could still have one

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T2EDWVxbpjHtBZlN0dSBEcsf11fh776kyrPIUMkYeoQ3UQQxzemDngs0mYZswvGH