Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
7/21/21 12:23 p.m.

Read in some other auto magazine's email today; plenty of related quotes and coverage, but nothing so solid I want to link it here...

Anybody heard anything?

That would certainly change the calculus on charger availbility without having to buy a Tesla. Presumably it wouldn't be cheap "out of network" but that's really secondary. Depends for now on the other makers providing a Tesla adapter as well...

https://www.exboyfriendrecovery.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/curious.jpg

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/21/21 12:31 p.m.

I'm not sure what you're referencing, but IIRC Tesla's network has always been open to all in theory, but none of the other OEMs have been willing to talk/pay to gain access.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
7/21/21 12:46 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I didn't want to link an article to another car mag, and none of the other news sources stood out as great coverage, so I thought I'd leave it to folks to search, but that's about the size of it.

That's interesting; I guess I assumed that the proprietary connector was as good as a statement of intent to remain separate, but of course network credentials and an account are just as important. It hadn't occurred to me that Tesla wasn't withholding their advantage in infrastructure rollout as a sales tool for their cars.

I guess it makes sense that for enough money, they'd be willing to sell some of that capacity given that the others will need to invest in infrastructure anyhow. If their charging station lead is going to eventually dwindle out of necessity, why not be the ones building/selling(/branding/controlling) as many stations as possible?

Thanks!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/21/21 1:17 p.m.

IIRC they have been willing to open it for a long time, but are requiring any participants to release their patents. Not a lawyer so the verbiage is not correct, but basically that's the cost. And the OEs said aiiiiiieeee no. I think that Aptera is using it, though.

The Tesla connector is proprietary because it's the first one. The others came later. In Europe, they're switching over to CCS and I expect that will happen here as well. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
7/21/21 1:20 p.m.

Looks like it's not really... news. Or going anywhere. Except in a kind of backward way where Tesla may end up moving to the new standard.

Feeling good about my decision to lapse the subscription of the mag that emailed me the "news" in the first place...

I have once again let myself be led to believe something was news just because it was reported... blush

STM317
STM317 UberDork
7/21/21 1:36 p.m.

Just to clarify, the story is rooted in a recent tweet from Elon where he said "...we’re making our Supercharger network open to other EVs later this year.” as part of a response to a guy tweeting about the Supercharger network.

There was a follow up question about where it would happen, and his response was “Over time, all countries.”

So the stories just boil down to "CEO tweeted something" and nobody knows any details, or if it will actually happen at all, let alone if it will happen by the time the CEO claimed it will.

nocones
nocones UberDork
7/21/21 1:58 p.m.

I'm really surprised that Tesla isn't really actually in the market of trying to replace BP/Conoco/Mobil.  That's where the future is.  If you could own the first nationwide replacement of gas stations with Charging stations and be the company making transactional income off charging you will be king of the world in the next 10-15 years.  

Yes obviously gas stations will retool but they are starting from only having the locations not the knowledge/skill of getting the power, administration of the chargers, etc.  Tesla has the contacts/contracts and skill to put charging stations everywhere.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/21/21 2:03 p.m.

I think the Tesla network is partially open to non-Teslas in the UK - because it uses CCS there. Something about authentication allowing them to charge. I'd love to know more but getting good information related to anything Tesla is almost impossible. Maybe I'll ping some friends on the inside. 

Our Preferred Partners
Speh0CsFdVhsB6xDXSZpJEIPuUOJLVCsVhfHOfH5PK8qkCGJZKCZkQqnwHSNIWp9