1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/10/21 11:29 a.m.
feature_image

The WRX already functions as a sports sedan that’s not afraid of the dirt, but now Subaru is apparently looking to make it a grand touring vehicle, too.

Before we get into that, though, here’s the info you really want: The 2022 Subaru WRX, now built on the Subaru Global Platform, is po…

Read the rest of the story

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/10/21 11:32 a.m.

A WRX GT automatic, I guess the Avalon TRD finally has some competition within the market segment. 

Colin Wood
9/10/21 11:38 a.m.

A few initial impressions and thoughts:

• I'm not a fan of the new styling, but I think it's going to grow on me as the previous gen's did.
  • I think we are in a period in which we are building cars that look better in person than in photographs.
  • I'm excited to see the performance of the "new" auto. Sure, it might not be a ZF unit or even a DCT, but if it's an improvement on the previous CVT, I'm sure it'll perform well (and maybe I might consider buying one).

Also, I have a theory that the automatic WRX was introduced to fill the void that was left by the Evo X MR–but again, just a theory.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/10/21 11:46 a.m.

So the WRX looks like an Aztec Sedan now and Subaru's big new version is an automatic? Well that's disappointing.

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 New Reader
9/10/21 11:50 a.m.

Pontiac?  Is that you?

Plastic cladding, non-round wheel wells, orange paint, GT trims, automatic...  I think I've seen this before.

Colin Wood
9/10/21 11:55 a.m.

And here's some more pictures for funsies:

9/10/21 12:25 p.m.

My issue is that Subaru has gotten incredibly lazy and forgotten what it is to make an exciting vehicle.

When the WRX first came stateside, It was the first of the Gran Turismo hero cars to do so. Paving the way for the STI, EVO and GTR to follow it. It was the canary in the coal mine to see if the market would purchase an all-wheel drive turbo manual Japanese performance focused vehicle. Sorry Mazda, the 323 GTX wasn't marketed well enough and Mitsubishi marketed the Galant VR4 as being more grown up and adult. 

It created a new segment, within North America, of hot compact sedan with all surface and weather capability that you could drive everyday. Mechanically it was nothing new to the rest of the world, but it had historical significance in North America. 

This does none of that. Not even remotely close. To call the effort lazy is an insult to lazy people. This is closer to the legacy GT of the vintage of the original WRX, only with a power bump that percentage-wise doesn't even match the percentage and power bump from competitors in the same time frame. 

We lament when manufacturers kill off our favorite models instead of making a new generation. We lament when our favorite bands break up instead of making a new album and continuing to tour. The Subaru WRX is the Rage Against the Machine album- Renegades, you wish that they had called it quits and hung it up instead of producing something that is insulting to their legacy. 

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/10/21 12:28 p.m.

Are those tail lights interchangeable with the new BRZ?

Also, can someone please direct Subaru to the "Box Flares make everything better" thread? 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
9/10/21 12:34 p.m.

Gees, In white it looks almost like my sister's legacy only with more body cladding. I mean it's not ugly but it's also snoozeville. 

aw614
aw614 Reader
9/10/21 12:35 p.m.

I'm curious if they'll get more CVT sales by positioning the highest trim GT with only a CVT. Just seems odd unless the pricing is that close to a base STI. 

Was reading another article that mentioned 85% of the current WRXs are manuals...

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/10/21 12:38 p.m.
rallyxPOS13 said:

Pontiac?  Is that you?

Plastic cladding, non-round wheel wells, orange paint, GT trims, automatic...  I think I've seen this before.

This made me literally laugh out loud.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
9/10/21 12:49 p.m.

Those wheel arches are gross

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/10/21 12:52 p.m.

I honestly thought this was a Crosstrek "SUS" or one of those bloated "active sedan" things that Mercedes and BMW build now. Woof. I mean, what crack were they smoking when they green-lighted those plastic wheel flares? Looks like the thing has the same ground clearance as most 4x4 pickups on the market right now.

I'm going to come off a bit snobby here: this as a Crosstrek with a wagon/hatch butt may work, but the WRX is not supposed to be that. And saddling their top tier car with all the goodies with a CVT? That's a big YIKES. And speaking of bad design elements, one of the things I hated about the old one was the enormous side sills. Every single time I got in and out, I'd nearly rip the side skirt off with my foot. This one looks even wider. Maybe that's why it's covered in textured plastic now?

Overall, this is a lazy, tone deaf update to what's supposed to be a fun enthusiast sports sedan. Do not want.

adam525i
adam525i Dork
9/10/21 12:53 p.m.

For the all the haters it looks better than any current civic! 

9/10/21 1:00 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

One of the biggest flaws that companies make with regards to product development is they look at what is popular and successful across their product line and within the market, as opposed to what made a product of theirs special. 

Subaru probably looked at the crosstrek and saw the sales figures and the accessory sales after purchase, and thought this is our most popular model people love this, potential WRX buyers would like the WRX to be more like this.

It's a fallacy. Potential WRX buyers would like it to be more like the original WRX with regards to being fun to drive engaging and a segment leader with regards to power output. 

This would be equivalent to a top rated microbrewery known for hazy IPAs and top-notch stouts eliminating production of those things to focus on hard seltzers. Maine beer company should not stop brewing Lunch or Dinner to make seltzers. If they want to scale back production slightly and release the seltzer separately that's fine It's smart business to follow the market to a degree but you don't forget the recipe that got you there. 

Potential WRX owners don't want a Crosstrek. They want something that is more engaging and dynamic than a Focus ST, GTI or Civic Si and Subaru has failed to deliver that in recent years. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
9/10/21 1:00 p.m.

I dont understand how this is the same company that gave us the GC8 and the Bugeye...

adam525i
adam525i Dork
9/10/21 1:04 p.m.

I don't mind the direction with this and I actually think it gets back to the roots of the earlier cars in some ways with the changes. The first gen that we got in North America was always liked for its long travel suspension compared to other cars in the category. For actual real world driving that slightly higher sitting long travel works so well being able to gobble up all the crap along the way. It's way more fun when you can pound a car through the crap at speed rather than slowing down while the car beats you to death. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the size of the wheels, I don't what they are but less wheel and more tire makes for a better ride without sacrificing any handling on the road.

I guess I look at the plastic trim around the wheel wells as a good thing too, by the time I'd actually spend the money on one they will be old enough that a bit of rust bubbling is starting to form in those spots so this should hide that well lol.

Now what they do with the STi will be interesting, hopefully it is still more oriented towards the track, sits a bit lower and looses the plastic trim.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork

In reply to adam525i :

Honda "fixed" the Civic for 2022!

Saw one of these up close the other day. It's really nice, and the interior is awesome. It does have a slightly cro-magnon brow in the grille area, but I think they did a great job with the rest. And it doesn't have Pontiac Aztek wheel flares.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
STM317 said:

Those wheel arches are gross

Chevy Colorado will fight you. 

9/10/21 1:26 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Bring back the Baja! 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/10/21 1:30 p.m.

I've been getting emails from Subaru for months touting the "ALL NEW" WRX.  And today I went, meh?  I don't hate it, but I'm underwhelmed for sure.  Would it look much different parked next to a 2021?  (I've been pretty blah on the latest body style for years.)

I don't think I need a giant LCD screen either.  I'm more interested in the new BRZ I think.  (And I didn't pay attention to the plastic wheel well trim till people mentioned it, now all I see is my Crosstrek.)

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
9/10/21 1:31 p.m.

I still think 6-speed manual transmissions are a marketing gimmick that are aggravating  in the real world.   Especially on a turbo car like this with some torque.  

Change my mind...

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/10/21 1:36 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

The guys over on the NASIOC forums are less than enthused by this car, I can tell you that. A LOT of complaints about the styling. Some examples:

Comparing the huge rear bumper overhang to a swim platform on a boat/jetski

The absolutely hideous infotainment setup on the base model

This one is my favorite so far! They nailed it.

There are also many complaints about the 2.4L engine. This engine is already in other more pedestrian cars making similar power. People are saying that the WRX from 10 years ago made more power on a dyno, and they are likely right. Those old EJ25's in the 2009-14 cars made nearly the same power as the STI engines did. And there's a lot of confusion over the automatic trans. Some sources say it's a CVT, while others say it's a traditional automatic with gears. Either way, everyone agrees that having no manual option on the model with all the goodies is dumb.

There's usually backlash over a new WRX model and then everyone ends up buying one anyway, but I think this time Subaru might have finally alienated many of the faithful.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
9/10/21 1:49 p.m.

Subaru is betting on the premise that the more enthusiasts hate it, the better it will sell to the general public.

thashane
thashane Reader
9/10/21 2:06 p.m.

I was really anticipating this launch. I'm excited to see how theyll perform. I was hoping for more HP, but guessing that'll come after the new STI, or never.

Will it be another production year before we get details on the new STI?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kk9SzZh7lvtflxJynTQhb2A1pw2FUQzVfpqB1kA5ihejFZQF9EzA9XYZWRqpQrPk