Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/10/21 9:28 p.m.
STM317 said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
GCrites80s said:

I don't want a screen that big.

I don't want a screen.

Legally required on vehicles now, so you're limiting options quite a bit

Cars are required to have the radio and climate controls and God knows what else on a touch screen with no feedback that is completely invisible during rush hour for half the year if you happen to be traveling against the sunrise/sunset?

It's manufacturers being cheap, is all it is.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/11/21 12:38 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Backup cameras.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/11/21 4:56 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

They can  be inset in the rearview mirror, which is a much nicer way to go anyway because you're already looking at it when reversing.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/11/21 7:22 a.m.

In reply to GTwannaB :

You are spot on Sir. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
9/11/21 7:52 a.m.

If nothing else, at least Subaru is still making a model available with a manual transmission.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/11/21 10:29 a.m.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
9/11/21 8:18 p.m.

Anyone know why so many new cars have such high rear belt lines? I hate the way it looks.

You CAN back over a bag of groceries or cooler though! There's that at least.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/11/21 8:40 p.m.
GTwannaB said:

Ok I am calling out you whining brats. 

Whahhh it's ugly. Every WRX has been ugly. Almost ever Subaru ever is ugly. 

Whahh it doesn't make enough power. Be happy it is not a hybrid. The aftermarket will have 350 plus hp in a tune. 

Whahh I don't like flares. Need I point you to the 60 pages of posts regarding box flares on this site. 

In two months the magazines will be allowed to drive it and they will all fawn over it. Go buy a nice used Prius already and be done with it and stop the bitching. 

Big talk for a halfDork! wink

The original bugeye was interesting looking. Not attractive, but distinctive. They've been snoozeville ever since. But IMO Japanese auto styling in general hits a percentage barely sufficient to make a major league baseball lineup, so it's their other virtues that sell the things.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/11/21 9:28 p.m.

In reply to GTwannaB :

A live look at the EPA waiting on Cobb to release an accessport for the new WRX...

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/11/21 9:31 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

The photoshops are starting to get weird. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/11/21 10:16 p.m.

On the looks thing and Subarus being ugly:

When the Bugeyes came out, I immediately loved them, and I wasn't alone. Same with the Blobeye and the Hawkeye/pignose. When the 2008 came out, it was reviled nearly universally. They fixed that in 2009 by offering a new grille, rear spoiler, wheels, and aero kit (not to mention a sizeable power increase). There was also disappointment when the last gen came out; it looked like a half baked version of the concept car that everyone loved, but eventually it found its fans. 

This new WRX is a half-hearted attempt at best, just like the 2008 was. It's probably a much better car than that one. In the looks and power department, hopefully we'll see a drastic improvement in the next model year just like the 2009 cars, if Subaru still cares. I'm just afraid they don't anymore. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/11/21 10:33 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I literally just popped back into post that, I'm glad that you've already taken care of it. It also gives me hope that the STI version will just be a rebadged M2 competition. 

Dootz
Dootz Reader
9/12/21 3:53 a.m.

In reply to GTwannaB :

Resident subie-shill? Be real dude, they have had 7 years and this is basically a complete joke of an update. Subaru's 2012 Civic moment

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/12/21 8:45 a.m.
GTwannaB said:

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
9/12/21 10:14 a.m.

I watched the unveiling hoping that they'd be announcing a new STI with close to 400 hp, in which case, depending on price, I'd very likely be buying one. Overall I don't hate it, but it does nothing to make me want to upgrade from my 2015 WRX. I don't mind that it's a bit bland and may blend in. As someone who wants to drive one, fun, manual, track capable car all year and has to deal with some significant snowfall for several months in the winter, there's really not much else to choose from. I used to do the 2 car thing, but it sucks to suffer depreciation on 2 cars at once and winter driving can be fun too. 

Snrub
Snrub Dork
9/12/21 10:31 a.m.

We have to be thankful it still exists. It is a bit of a puzzler. Perhaps they're trying to keep on trend since everything else is a crossover. Crossover buyers might think car styling queues are passe? Grasping here.

Based on the response here I have to wonder about the feedback from the focus groups.

The GR Yaris makes 268hp from its 1.6l. I struggle to think why this wouldn't be better than a Subaru engine...

STM317
STM317 UberDork
9/12/21 10:50 a.m.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/c_fit,f_auto,g_center,pg_1,q_60,w_1315/4259218c55c616abd3bb8fd15cdd433e.png

GTwannaB
GTwannaB HalfDork
9/12/21 9:33 p.m.

BTW any reference to all Subarus being ugly was not entirely my point. It was more that so many folks complain about the looks and still buy them and still love them. Even the stranger design choices appeal to me. Especially with fat stanced wheels. 

and I still think my 2005 Legacy looks good after 15yrs of ownership. 

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/13/21 9:37 a.m.
GTwannaB said:

Whahh I don't like flares. Need I point you to the 60 pages of posts regarding box flares on this site. 

But, but....those are not box flares.  

P.S.  Anyone else looking forward to the Subaru Share the Love Fall Sales Event?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
9/13/21 4:20 p.m.

Previous generation WRX/STI variants were ugly because they were econobox Imprezas with a go-fast engine. This is god-awful because Subaru is a company that has lost their way, abandoned their lifelong diehard fans who made the brand uber popular, decided to play the partisan politic game, and then it looks like they actually tried too hard to make a car look....too look.....berkeley i don't even know what the hell they were going after. 

They would have been better off throwing these engines in a crosstrek and letting the aftermarket slam them for a normal looking WRX/STI hatch experience. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/13/21 7:08 p.m.

From a few specific angles it might look pretty cool...... But from MOST of the angles it looks terrible. IDK what the hell is going on with that rear bumper.....er "style." It is downright awful. Everything about this appears to be a downgrade from the meh current model. 

And I'm actually someone who buys new cars (and bought a WRX brand-new in 2009). I Certainly won't be looking at this thing when I get tired of the current GTI, that's for sure. 

hard pass. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/13/21 7:14 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

decided to play the partisan politic game,

As a decade-long WRX owner and someone who is constantly around Subarus in the rally community (not to mention dozens of friends with them), I can't say I've ever heard anyone reference the "politics" of Subaru. Did I miss something?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
9/13/21 9:48 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
DirtyBird222 said:

decided to play the partisan politic game,

As a decade-long WRX owner and someone who is constantly around Subarus in the rally community (not to mention dozens of friends with them), I can't say I've ever heard anyone reference the "politics" of Subaru. Did I miss something?

Their US CEO made some pretty polarizing statements siding with a political party on behalf of Subaru, specifically a career politician. To each their own but it just shows how hard this company is struggling to find an image and stay relevant because they know their products are "meh" at best. This coming from someone who had a long term love affair and has owned over 10 different Subie's. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/13/21 10:32 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
GTwannaB said:

Simple and clean.

The RX Turbo which preceded it was fugly in that mid 80s Japanese "design with folds, not curves" way.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/13/21 11:11 p.m.
dxman92 said:

Dear Subaru, please bring back the WRX Wagon. That is all. 

They already have it in other markets. It's called the Levorg, and it's exactly what I want in a WRX. I'd buy one tommorrow:  

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0frkaWq2AXPjdvROtTtx8qpB3xJIZj5bpGB8V1DozBnoGsERBHjuO5dmOW0QZOKR