1 2 3 4
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
2/11/19 1:50 p.m.

For fuel efficiency, I wonder how many miles you have to drive before the break even point. If gasoline doubles in price again, I guess you'd be allowed to feel pretty smug if you had one of these.

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
2/11/19 2:21 p.m.
Grizz said:

I hate it less like this

I cant get the image out of my head of them just having a bunch of s197 mustang rear roof/back window/quarter window sections laying around and just made them into bed covers

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
2/11/19 4:05 p.m.
fasted58 said:

It sorta has a rally vibe to it if the rest of the truck is done up right, if that's your thing.

just stop while your behind

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
2/11/19 4:11 p.m.

I don't like the ones for Wranglers either. 

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
2/12/19 7:24 a.m.

Ok, let's take the best attribute of a pick up truck which is the bed.  And cover it up and make it mostly useless...  Not that most modern pick ups actually carry anything anyway.  Methinks this goes under "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
2/12/19 7:33 a.m.

It would make a decent little hothouse for growing tomatoes, but the louvers ruin that.  

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
2/12/19 7:34 a.m.

This truck's spirit animal:

Image result for AMC spirit

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/12/19 7:35 a.m.
Robbie said:

wait, so make one of these for a miata and we would all line up with credit cards ready but make one for a truck and we all start throwing stones?

I think it looks awesome. We all know 99% of the people with those trucks don't put stuff back there anyway. 

If it looked this awkward I doubt people would be lining up. Plus things that look good on a sports car don’t always look good on a truck - shocker I know. Another example - despite loving convertibles we don’t tend to love the Murano Cabriolet. OMG crazy right??

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
2/12/19 7:36 a.m.

You can have a pickup with SUV security without settling for a SUV with no pickup utility. Makes sense to me. I like it.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
2/12/19 7:49 a.m.

If they can make it light enough that it's easy to lift on / off as desired, I don't mind it.  Unlike the stupid fastback tops for Wranglers, this is at least a shallow enough slope to provide aerodynamic benefit, so it's not just for looks.  

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/12/19 7:55 a.m.

I kind of like that. I wouldn't pay what they will want for it but that's pretty cool. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
2/12/19 11:45 a.m.

Plenty of trucks have tonneau covers like this 

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
2/13/19 1:11 a.m.

While it may provide some aero benefits, I don't think that's the main purpose. It looks too steeply sloped for ideal airflow 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
2/13/19 1:39 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Ahem. Cough. Harumph. Saw one drive by work tonight. Yup still dig me some Murano convertible. laugh

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
2/13/19 4:50 a.m.

As per Michigan Vehicle Solutions' website:

Currently only available for the 2015 and newer Ford F-150 pickup with the 5.5 foot or 6.5 foot bed. Later in 2019 Aero X should become available for Ram, Silverado, Ford Super Duty, Ranger, Colorado, Titan, Tacoma, and Tundra.

I'm wondering if they will make variations for all the different bed lengths on those trucks. I know you can still get a single cab Tacoma. I wonder what that would look like?

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
2/13/19 5:04 a.m.

My first car had aftermarket rear window louvers - 75 Camaro LT

My sisters did too - 76 Plymouth Volare Roadrunner.

She cheated though, as the rear side windows had them too.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
2/13/19 6:50 a.m.

The Aerolid was said to improve highway fuel economy of this F150 by 20% (18mpg to 22mpg), and offered some decent flexibility for hauling too:

So, better fuel economy gains than a normal bed cap or tonneau cover and equal or better ability to haul things than either of those options too. There's a lot of merit to the idea, but the fact that people think it looks weird will probably turn off most truck buyers who are typically very interested in how things look.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/13/19 8:20 a.m.

Nope

Toebra
Toebra Dork
2/13/19 3:47 p.m.

If you are worried about fuel economy on a vehicle like that, you bought the wrong thing.  It will not be as effective as the aerolid pictured on this page.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
2/13/19 4:06 p.m.
Toebra said:

If you are worried about fuel economy on a vehicle like that, you bought the wrong thing.  It will not be as effective as the aerolid pictured on this page.

Since the oil and gas business provides my income, I’ve come to the same conclusion.  If you bought a large vehicle with a high horsepower engine in it, you are screaming you don’t care how much fuel costs.  Now commercial truck drivers moving tons of goods that are self employed....  have a case.  

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/13/19 9:50 p.m.

Now, make one for the Miata :D

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/13/19 9:53 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Am I the only one that wants to see this on a 2wd single cab truck?

Lowered about 8 inches with very, very wide sticky rubber?  yes

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
2/14/19 1:07 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

I believe that one is both more aerodynamic and more functional, but not as flamboyant...Which means this one will probably sell much better.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/14/19 7:21 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

I like the Aerolid - it's a shame he couldn't keep it going (the website linked in this website appears to be dead).  One thing I like about this is you could do a different fabric set-up and convert it into a camper where you could stand up in the back of the bed.  I like how it looks in aero-mode. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
2/14/19 8:01 a.m.

I would rock that. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8p7vwsJhsRlTPlpZWuQAUYCVBM90NMea9AcmNWlTi24yB0ZwKcnVVqzePLfVNRaB