JAdams
JAdams Reader
10/14/21 1:22 p.m.

Excellent choice!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/14/21 8:00 p.m.
STM317 said:

That's a gentleman's Lotus right there. Elises can look good in crazy color combos, but that one is much more sophisticated than I expect an Elise/Exige to look.

Thanks. I'm not a huge fan of the "loud" colours on these, and this more "adult" color appealed. The ideal colour would've been green like my old S1:

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
10/15/21 9:09 a.m.

I had an LRG S2, I've been eyeballing S1s, but import eligible examples are quite light on the ground. I too am kicking myself with regards to values. I think I paid 28k for mine 8 years ago with 40k odd miles, got 32k when I totaled it 2 years ago with almost 70k miles. Guess I can't complain. BTW, I have the Reverie carbon rear diffuser, Larini above the diffuser dual exhaust and an ITG intake I took off the car if you're looking for any mods. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/15/21 9:21 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Lovely. 

Thank you. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/15/21 10:04 a.m.

Those are pretty cars. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/15/21 10:28 a.m.

In reply to fatallightning :

That's a good looking car. As to the mods, ladidida I can't hear you - OK, if you don't mind, please PM me. Not planning to do any mods, but hey I might get bored over winter.

Oh, and love the plate!

My main concern with importing an S1 is the engine. Those have a Rover K series engine which is a good engine design wise and can deliver good power, but it's got some implementation issues with head gaskets etc. The classic one is that the head gaskets blows and the head gets cooked and softened as a result. At that point you get to buy a new head. That engine never made it to the US, so you'd suddenly become the local expert in it. Fortunately there is a lot of knowledge about them in the UK, and a lot of parts including tuning parts were (and probably still are) available.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/15/21 3:12 p.m.

Forgot to mention - the Elise should get a couple of small mods fitted early next week (baffled sump and upgraded rear toe links) and be ready for shipment by mid to late next week. Let's see if it makes it up here for my birthday or not.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/15/21 4:49 p.m.

What are you going to use it for?  Track?  Back roads?  Garage art?

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
10/15/21 6:17 p.m.

Good pick up!  I've certainly been tempted by them for years.  The offer to drive the NSX if near Philly still stands. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/16/21 10:13 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Yes

Yeeeeesssss

Err, no. Got enough of that already.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/16/21 10:14 a.m.
Sonic said:

Good pick up!  I've certainly been tempted by them for years.  The offer to drive the NSX if near Philly still stands. 

Thanks, and one of these I'll make it down to Philly.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/16/21 11:36 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

so you're selling the frs then?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/16/21 11:39 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Yes - I'm probably going to start advertising it as soon as it comes back from the engine replacement, with a view to really get rid of it in spring at the latest.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/17/21 7:56 a.m.

Are you keeping the Maxton, as well, or is this a full consolidation?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/17/21 9:38 a.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

No plans, but I guess if someone waved enough money in my face I'll consider it.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
10/17/21 9:46 a.m.

That's definately the cleanest color combo of elise I have ever seen. Jealous of the badass dude/dudette that drove that toy 70k miles before you. 

Would love to own one someday and drive it on track.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
10/17/21 8:30 p.m.

Congrats that is a bucketlist car for me..

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/22/21 1:36 p.m.

Update - looks like it's getting picked up tomorrow. Let's see how long it takes to make it up here.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
10/22/21 1:38 p.m.
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) said:

Are you keeping the Maxton, as well, or is this a full consolidation?

Related, saw one of these at the New Canaan Caffeine and Carburetors for the first time. Neat!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/26/21 11:21 a.m.

Update - looks like the driver who was originally scheduled to pick up the Elise ended up taking part in the pandemic, so the car is now scheduled to be picked up Thursday and delivered Saturday. Let's hope that it works out, would be neat to get it delivered on my birthday.

Hope that the original driver makes a full and speedy recovery, too.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
10/26/21 11:32 a.m.

This seems as if it could have been the most awesome fly-and-drive ever. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/26/21 11:46 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Agreed, it would have been if it wasn't for the 6-8 weeks lead time for regular PTO due to the nature of my job. This way I should at least get a chance to drive it once or twice before salty season arrives.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/29/21 12:25 p.m.

The Elise was picked up yesterday and supposed to be delivered today. Given the current weather here that makes one consider ark building and the fact that this weather system extends a lot further south as well, I'm not having high hopes unless they brought a landing craft.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/29/21 3:21 p.m.

Update - apparently he had the right sort of boat and should be here in the next couple of hours or so.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/29/21 7:53 p.m.

Well, it arrived and is safely tucked away. I kinda find it amusing that the BMW GS dwarfs the Elise.

I think I've reached the point where I really don't have the space for more vehicles. Well, maybe another small motorcycle...

But at least I'll be able to put all of them into garages, even if/when the BRZ comes back from all the repair work.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rw6PwHBCU2DJeEdVJvfOArrKTkjACzS2ieR5DByLN75rfmN18YJ5qKyh5BuIY2tF