FrankGrimes
FrankGrimes New Reader
4/16/10 6:50 p.m.

The hunt is now on for a NB Miata. It seems that a 1999 - 2000 would be my best bet (and in my price range)

Is it worthwhile to find a 6spd? Is it possible to get a LSD? Why do all the cars in my area have leather seats?

Basically what is the grassrootsmotorports approved/suggested option list I should aim for?

I'm in SoCal so I will find what I want, eventually.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
4/16/10 6:55 p.m.

LSD is certainly available and desirable. You can spot them by driving the car (one wheel on grass/sand, the other on pavement), calling Mazda with the VIN, deciphering what package you're looking at or by doing a visual inspection through the fill plug.

6-speeds are relatively uncommon on the 1999-00 cars. In 1999, it was only in the 10th Anniversary Edition (aka "10AE"), and those are not for people who are allergic to the color blue. For 2000, I think it was only in the Special Edition. Basically, lots of toys. I don't like the shift feel or the gearing of the 6-speed anyhow, I'll take the 5.

One interesting note - if you can find a 1999 base model, you'll get manual steering. That, and finding one of the 50 2003 Club Sports are the only way you'll get the NB manual rack. I like the NB manual. But you won't get a Torsen.

What are your eventual plans for the car? That'll help drive what options are worthwhile, and what ones will get replaced.

FrankGrimes
FrankGrimes New Reader
4/16/10 7:18 p.m.
Keith wrote: What are your eventual plans for the car? That'll help drive what options are worthwhile, and what ones will get replaced.

The car is going to be my DD w/ occasional weekend autox. I'd rather have less 'stuff' than more.

Sounds like I can live w/o a 6spd. The 10AE seems to demand a premium as it is(and i'm not partial to blue)

Were factory Bilsteins an option?

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
4/16/10 10:42 p.m.
Keith wrote: One interesting note - if you can find a 1999 base model, you'll get manual steering.

Not always. I have a 99 base w/power steering & AC. Doesn't have power windows/locks/mirrors, cruise control or LSD. Basic and old school.

Bilstiens came on the Sport Edition.

As for 5 vs 6-speed, you'll shift less with the 5-speed. I've found that at cruise, both are about the same RPMs. You just had to shift the 6-speed more to get there.JMO.

Claff
Claff New Reader
4/16/10 11:05 p.m.

My only experience with a 6-speed is with the Mazdaspeed and I don't know if that one is identical to the ones that came in non-turbo cars. Regardless I don't like it very much. I get a lot of questionable shifts, especially on the way down through the gears. By comparison, the 5 speed is idiot-proof (don't know what this says about me as a driver).

I've got a '99 Sport that has cloth seats, strut tower bar, and front air dam/rear deck spoiler. It originally shipped with Bilsteins though they were shot on my car and have been replaced. With a not-terribly-serious suspension (FM springs/AGX shocks/RB front bar) and no underhood mods it is one fantastic car to drive. I don't think you could do much better, though I haven't driven later NBs (save the MSM) that I think have more chassis bracing and VVT heads and other stuff.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
4/17/10 11:46 a.m.

The best 6-speeds shift as well as an average 5-speed. There's more variation in the boxes, though, and some are really frustrating. The 5-speed box is a jewel.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/17/10 11:57 a.m.

'01 NB $9K

I want this car

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
4/17/10 12:00 p.m.

Keep in mind that, out here, a '99 will be choked by a second cat that was installed in Cali cars in order to meet smog regulations for the first 10seconds of operation.

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
4/17/10 1:06 p.m.

I've got a nice base model '99 that's for sale. It's in central Texas.

http://roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=25089

Keith
Keith SuperDork
4/17/10 1:16 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: '01 NB $9K I want this car

That's a really nice color that's grown on me over the years and I'd be happy to see that critter in my garage. That particular car doesn't have the Sport package, so it's missing Bilsteins, the big brakes and the underbody bracing - but the latter simply bolts on. Interesting note, it's also got a brake booster with a higher boost ratio than just about any other Miata, shared with the other 2001-02 non-Sport cars only.

According to the ad, it's a trendy car!

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/17/10 1:18 p.m.

So, Keith if I get that thing you will be the first to know

FrankGrimes
FrankGrimes New Reader
4/18/10 9:01 p.m.

Scouring the intertubes and noticed

A few notes on the '99+ models: Suspension package available as an option which included shock tower brace, stiffer springs, bilstien shocks, heavier rear swaybar, and Torsen. The leather package automatically got all of the components of the suspension package except the bilstien shocks, stiffer springs and heavier rear swaybar, and shock tower brace (except the '01+ models). Suspension package on leather equipped cars added the rest of these items though.

Is the above correct? As in.. leather seats gets you a Torsen Strut tower brace gets you the suspension package(w/ torsen)?

Keith
Keith SuperDork
4/18/10 9:06 p.m.

If you want to know the option packages, go to the brochures :) Miata.net has them in the FAQ section. I always like to go to the source. That's what I used for a lot of the information in Find It, Fix It, Trick It.

From what I recall, that's accurate. Basically, Mazda took just about any excuse to stick a Torsen in the car. No automatics got 'em, though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fcowD5sD64Bq3gBSmbiba5VB8rFwzQEUosm8B3PK1qRilsA2BPYq8Mo4ug5evOaZ