1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/22/16 12:09 p.m.

Have at it. It seems that when ever a NASCAR thread comes up people can not help them self's and they always have to interject there displeasure with NASCAR so I figured I would start a thread where you all can go to it.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
2/22/16 12:12 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Well there are valid reasons for that, you know.
signed,
former NASCAR fan.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
2/22/16 12:14 p.m.

Not to mention that the title of the other thread was really asking for it. I haven't even looked at that thread because I pretty much knew how it would go.

captdownshift
captdownshift UltraDork
2/22/16 12:15 p.m.

Outside of competition caution, restrictor plates, and not having a "regular season champion" or award or trophy reconigizing them, I got nothing.

etifosi
etifosi Dork
2/22/16 12:18 p.m.

captdownshift
captdownshift UltraDork
2/22/16 12:21 p.m.

In reply to etifosi:

Hey now, WRC just canceled stages this month due to weather. Granted it was due to warmth and lack of snow on stage roads, but it happens!

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
2/22/16 12:22 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Have at it. It seems that when ever a NASCAR thread comes up people can not help them self's and they always have to interject there displeasure with NASCAR so I figured I would start a thread where you all can go to it.

nascar sucks because they have digital dashes now and they don't use points and Stromberg carbs and they don't allow DOHC engines like actual new cars have.

There, I covered everything.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/22/16 12:22 p.m.

Drag racing doesn't happen in the rain, either.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
2/22/16 12:24 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Drag racing doesn't happen in the rain, either.

I remember one night having to hit my wipers while staging.

Dragstrips may be paved but they are usually coated with a layer of deposited rubber. Wet rubber is not very grippy.

(this is the same track that has a New Year's Day bracket race. Everyone runs a 15 second breakout. The first 1/8mi is usually glare ice after a few cars. 15 seconds is mostly theoretical)

STM317
STM317 Reader
2/22/16 12:31 p.m.

When was the last time that NASCAR tech was ahead of what's on the street? The automakers all justify motorsports by saying that the tech will trickle down to their street vehicles, but I don't see much of that happening with NASCAR. If anything the tech seems to be flowing the other direction, with NASCAR finally joining the 21st century with new-fangled tech like electronic fuel injection. Seems like NASCAR only exists for entertainment at this point, and an increasing number of people don't find it that entertaining to see a bunch of spec cars that don't relate to street vehicles driven on a bunch of tracks that are nearly identical.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
2/22/16 12:35 p.m.

I don't like that there are too many races.

The races don't seem to mean anything until the last 10 to 15 races.

The championship is impossible to follow from a casual fans point of view.

The races are long and nothing really happens until the last 50 laps.

The cars have ZERO relevance. They are not pushing boundaries like Top Fuel cars or F1 cars. They are not relatable like Continental or world challenge cars.

If they did more road racing I would watch it, but prefer the Aussie V8 supercars style.

Are the transmissions still 4 speeds?

Danny Shields
Danny Shields Reader
2/22/16 12:45 p.m.

See? This is a fun thread already. And no one has said anything about Martin Truex's Toyota, which, according to his interview, used to be a Chevy.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
2/22/16 12:48 p.m.

In reply to STM317: Sports car racing and Indycar have more relevance than nascar, but nobody goes to the races, heck the 24 hours of Daytona was a heck of a better show than the 500, but they don't have more then a handful of people in the stands. Nascar is WWE of racing, it is the most popular form of entertainment not racing.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/22/16 12:48 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to dean1484: Well there are valid reasons for that, you know. signed, former NASCAR fan.

I here you.. . It is sad. I really liked the "old NASCAR". I look at it as two separate things now. The "old" NASCAR died in the 90's and was replaced by something that is kinda, sorta NASCAR of the past. I have said it before NASCAR today is what it is. I enjoy it for what it is and not for what NASCAR was.

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb Reader
2/22/16 12:49 p.m.

Jeff Gordon & Darrel Waltrip may have the two most annoying voices I've ever heard from a broadcast booth. Stick that boogity boogity boogity up your backside.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/22/16 12:50 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Drag racing doesn't happen in the rain, either.

Pssssst. . Dont defend NASCAR this is the bashing of nascar thread.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
2/22/16 12:51 p.m.

NASCAR never did anything to really grab my attention. I won't say that it isn't racing, or that it doesn't take skill or that the cars are not pretty neat or anything like that. It's jut completely failed to be interesting to me, and the sport has done nothing at all to change my default state of disinterest, despite living in NASCAR central.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/22/16 12:56 p.m.

No Skittles joke yet? Wait M&N's in a toilet. There is so much more irony to that.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/22/16 12:57 p.m.

For me it's the fact that they try too hard to enhance the show. Silly rules like the "Lucky Dog" don't impress me one bit. If you get lapped then you should have to drive the wheels off and work your way back to the lead lap. And that new "shot clock" is something from the world of WWE. During the telecast the commentators were advocating paving all the infield so you could recover after going off track. NASCAR is trying way too hard to equalize the competition so everyone can have a chance on the last lap. It's like watching basketball, only the last two minutes matters.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UltraDork
2/22/16 1:05 p.m.

I'm still a fan, though not nearly as big as I used to be. I don't like the spec cars since the COT. I talk to fellow fans who root against "manufacturers" in NASCAR even though the only difference is the stickers at this point.

I'm also not a fan of the spec tracks that make up a large portion of the schedule. Kansas, Kentucky, Texas, Chicago, Atlanta, Charlotte, they might as well all be the same track.

The Chase is berkeleyng stupid. Every race should count towards the championship, not just the last 10. Good for Kyle Busch for winning the title last year after missing a bunch of races, but to me that comes with an asterisk because for a couple of months, he wasn't competing.

For the most part, restrictor plate racing is not a true representation of driver skill. It's a matter of holding on to the draft and trying to avoid wrecks. I'm not saying that it doesn't require skill to do that, but it's not indicative of the skills needed to succeed overall. Look at the people that have won plate races but never did jack anywhere else. Derricke Cope, Trevor Bayne, heck, even Micheal Waltrip. Plus, it's dangerous as hell.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
2/22/16 1:29 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: In reply to STM317: Nascar is WWE of racing, it is the most popular form of entertainment not racing.

Could not have said it better myself.
Of the couple of oval races I watched over the last 5 years, they all ended in a green white checker, if they are going to do that, just make the races 3 laps, then it would be even more exciting cause there is the chance for all starters to win.

In Nascar, if there is no way you are going to win, spin out the closet competitor, and you get all bunched up and the chance to win from 20th position, nullifing all the work others have done for 197 laps to be in the front.

Desmond
Desmond HalfDork
2/22/16 1:35 p.m.

I recognize the skill and talent that goes into planning strategic moves and passes many laps in advance. I remember some famous road racer that tried it saying something like "its much different. The most intense part of road racing is being able to time and execute crucial passes. Oval racing is basically an entire race consisting of these passing moments. Its really intense."

So I have respect for the guys behind the wheel, but from a spectator standpoint, its pretty boring to watch. Maybe I should give it an honest shot. But yeah, even avid life-long fans have admitted they only watch it for the crashes, which I guess speaks volumes about human nature...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
2/22/16 1:36 p.m.

They need to do whatever the hell it takes to get rid of restrictor plates. Decrease the engine size or compression or both. With the new fuel injection, just limit the fuel charge.

I got fed up with NASCAR several times:

When they allowed cars to run that don't exist

Made the cars the same, just the stickers are different.

Started monkeying with the format especially "the chase".

Found multiple ways to penalize Mark Martin to keep Jack Roush from winning a title.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/22/16 1:53 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: In reply to STM317: Sports car racing and Indycar have more relevance than nascar, but nobody goes to the races, heck the 24 hours of Daytona was a heck of a better show than the 500, but they don't have more then a handful of people in the stands.

What you don't get from the T.V. coverage is that the infield was totally sold out for the Rolex 24. Very few people watch the 24 from the stands--- as you can get up-close and personal in the infield. It was a major success this year though, as it has been for the last few years.

My NASCAR bitch----- They are intentionally engineering the restrictor-plate races to have a major wreck. (the BIG ONE) The current rules stack the cars up in a huge group, and sooner or later someone loses a tire, or makes a mistake----and 15-20 cars get collected. They promote these huge wrecks all the time on their TV commercials---- and then pretend to be concerned when someone gets hurt. Fortunately, this didn't happen yesterday.

Unless they change this format, they are going to kill someone. It may be a driver (nearly all of whom hate restrictor plate racing), or it could be a fan hit by flying debris. NASCAR knows this......but they don't seem to give a damn. They are an entertainment company that holds races.

I fear another 1955 LeMans accident is going to happen---- unless they change these asinine rules. I know they won't change it though. NASCAR never changes their rules until AFTER someone gets killed. For instance--Smokey Yunick developed "safer" walls back in the 60's. NASCAR had no interest as they were "too expensive". Of course, after Earnhardt died...... they all of the sudden became concerned.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/22/16 1:54 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to dean1484: Well there are valid reasons for that, you know. signed, former NASCAR fan.

what he said, actually everything everyone here said.

Make it production based 5.0L V8 maxiumum displacement. I don't mind the tube frame cars, modern racing safety and all that. Make the holmogation number for the engine some redonculous number. I mean YOOOOOGE!!!! so we don't have 100 off specials made from unobtanium.

Put in a provision of allowing a debored and destroked but same stroke to bore ratio if you don't have a current production engine that will allow you to meet the 5.0 standard and it must be off of the next closest larger production engine (so GM would have to use the 5.3l instead of the 7.0 The 4.8 is still around but almost dead) Toyota would be stuck doing the same. Ford has the Coyote.

Go back to letting Nascar be a test bed for new car stuff. Not a spec class with different rules for different engines.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wBxa8aL3i4HTNQ4HyVNg1mzzdPPc9P7cSa0FRVZKJLQDNl9yCHoHPjFuvP1vQ7WV