1 2 3
McTinkerson
McTinkerson New Reader
7/22/13 4:40 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I'm not seeing any discussions or voting as to which one is best, though...

My top 3 in no particular order: Petronas, Evangelion RT Test-01, RE-Amemiya

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
7/22/13 4:51 p.m.

I like this guy:

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
7/22/13 4:56 p.m.

Not a Japanese car or series, but a British car in a world series with a Japanese sponsor. The Leyton house March 881 F1 car.

Onetrillionrpm
Onetrillionrpm New Reader
7/22/13 5:07 p.m.

nocones
nocones SuperDork
7/22/13 5:18 p.m.

I fully expect to see this topic idea making Gawker money within 48 hours just like the ugly steering wheel thread. Keep up the good work jalopnik needs new content and they don't expect to pay for it.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
7/22/13 5:59 p.m.

Swanky,

Any pictures of the Garage Vary kit with proper race wheels/rubber/offset?

zipty842
zipty842 Reader
7/22/13 10:02 p.m.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
7/22/13 10:47 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
McTinkerson wrote: Comedy option:
I'm.... not totally against this. I'm not seeing any discussions or voting as to which one is best, though...

If you seriously wanted to do the Good Smile car, my friend works for the company that owns it and has access to high-res versions of the art. I've actually got a bunch of their swag and there's a Good Smile Racing calendar on my desk right now.

nocones wrote: I fully expect to see this topic idea making Gawker money within 48 hours just like the ugly steering wheel thread. Keep up the good work jalopnik needs new content and they don't expect to pay for it.

I got hit by that when I posted the "worst supercar" thread.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/23/13 8:39 a.m.
PHeller wrote: Swanky, Any pictures of the Garage Vary kit with proper race wheels/rubber/offset?

Nope, unfortunately. There's not a TON of pictures of that kit in the first place, and it doesn't help that there's 3-4 different bumper sets that can go with it. It's not going to be real easy for me to find a setup to get into the US, but i've got a few ideas.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
7/23/13 11:34 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
PHeller wrote: Swanky, Any pictures of the Garage Vary kit with proper race wheels/rubber/offset?
Nope, unfortunately. There's not a TON of pictures of that kit in the first place, and it doesn't help that there's 3-4 different bumper sets that can go with it. It's not going to be real easy for me to find a setup to get into the US, but i've got a few ideas.

So, basically you want a Miata that looks like its been hit by a GT-R? I know you love your MX-6, but making a Miata look like one doesn't make much sense when you could probably just build an older RX-7 or a 944 as they take to box flares much better and can swallow decent amounts of engine without choking. Seriously I think that is hideous and ruins the graceful sportscar lines of the Miata and tries to turn it into a Mustang. To each his own, but to spend money on those parts seems like a waste of money.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/23/13 11:41 a.m.
zipty842 wrote:

It took me a while to realize that this was actually a CRAZY MR-S.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/23/13 11:46 a.m.
turboswede wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
So, basically you want a Miata that looks like its been hit by a GT-R? I know you love your MX-6, but making a Miata look like one doesn't make much sense when you could probably just build an older RX-7 or a 944 as they take to box flares much better and can swallow decent amounts of engine without choking. Seriously I think that is hideous and ruins the graceful sportscar lines of the Miata and tries to turn it into a Mustang. To each his own, but to spend money on those parts seems like a waste of money.

The thing is, i don't have an RX7 or a 944, but i do have a 93 Miata that i got for $free.99 and i'm feeling like building something with no rules at all, whether that be paper or unspoken.

There's nothing graceful about anything that has an F2T stuffed in it.

Whether this kit or the Autokonexion kit shown below (which is arguably more "beautiful"), i'm looking at a lot of money either way. A stock bodied Miata isn't going to cut it, both from a looks perspective (subjective), but also from a safety/liability perspective.

But i really don't find the NAs all that "pretty." That's reserved for NBs exclusively when it comes to Miatas, in my opinion.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
7/23/13 12:04 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Bring it to the west coast and I'll trade you straight up for a 924/944 shell ;) (I know you'd love to make another jaunt to the West Coast, ha!)

Anyway, I completely understand, but it still just doesn't seem like it would be at all beneficial. The ability to run massive tires will help, but there are less expensive solutions to that, imo :)

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/23/13 12:16 p.m.

Whoops, forgot the Autokonexion kit.

I don't really want a Porsche shell. There's certain things about a Miata that make the swap really compelling. (Read: Easy.) An FC RX7 would also work, or an FD RX7 (just to piss everyone off more), or actually a StarQuest would do. It'd have to be a minty example of any of those cars for me to think about it, though, since i'm working with a minty example of a Miata.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/23/13 12:19 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: But i really don't find the NAs all that "pretty." That's reserved for NBs exclusively when it comes to Miatas, in my opinion.

Agreed. Also, I like your kit idea for your F2Tiata.

alex
alex UberDork
7/23/13 3:25 p.m.

This has my vote. Subtract the sponsorship lettering and smooth the transition between the blue and yellow on the rockers and behind the rear wheels and this would actually be pretty subtle.

Javelin wrote:

Although the IMSA RX7 looks pretty good, too...

DaveEstey wrote:
paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Reader
7/23/13 7:33 p.m.

Ooooh- now you're talking!

DaveEstey wrote: Why not skip the JGTC and go with the IMSA GTO Mazda RX7 livery?
asterisk
asterisk New Reader
7/23/13 10:48 p.m.

The Jaccs Hondas were sweet:

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
7/24/13 4:50 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
zipty842 wrote:
It took me a while to realize that this was actually a CRAZY MR-S.

I'm more of a fan of the regular ARTA MR-S livery.

Another good one is the WedsSport Celica.

This thread reminds me, I'm strongly considering importing an R32 GTR when they become legal next year. Maybe I should do a JGTC scheme on it since it's gonna be a track/canyon/meet only car.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
7/24/13 9:20 a.m.

I actually like the Petronas and Good Smile best.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/24/13 9:22 a.m.

I'm wondering how ludicrously expensive the Good Smile replica would be...

Back when i had the celica, i was quoted $1000 just for the Castrol vinyls, i had to install myself.

This seems way more complicated, and would have to be a full wrap.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
7/24/13 9:47 a.m.

This is the livery I'll be recreating on my FC. Granted I'll have some big flares, but this scheme should work no matter how crazy I get with my fiberglass work.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/6/13 10:10 a.m.

Bumping because this is bugging me.

Was Mazda racing the RX7 in IMSA in the 88-93 period? If so, what class?

I keep seeing pictures of the #62 car everywhere, but with so many misconceptions on the internet and people calling everything IMSA cars, it's hard to tell what this car was actually doing.

What i'm trying to figure out is what point there was to the IMSA MX6s, since i BELIEVE the RX7s were being raced at the same time, and possibly in the same class.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
9/6/13 10:26 a.m.

speaking of garage vary miatas

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/6/13 10:27 a.m.

Oh dear lord that white NA is AWESOME.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lDBwwCNcGt9IJRVMtezNgsgnm6IiIqCKbuQk1psvusz1hLUXVN7rReMiFxWSTQOE