1 2
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
6/26/11 7:33 a.m.

Starts on July 13th

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/06/speeds-the-car-show-with-adam-carolla-begins-july-13.html

Discuss, insider info very welcome

byron12
byron12 Reader
6/26/11 7:46 a.m.

I am looking forward to this hopefully they can secure enough advertising to stay on the air but serve the grassroots type niche. I work for a car manufacturer and while almost all of my coworkers like cars they are all obssesed with high horsepower exotics and care little about anything else.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
6/26/11 7:48 a.m.

I am curious about this show. Is it just going to be a roundtable discussion for half an hour, or are they going to mess with cars at all?

Could be interesting, I look forward to it.

asterisk
asterisk New Reader
6/26/11 10:34 a.m.

Honestly hoping they don't fall into the be-like-Top-Gear trap and create something somewhat unique.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
6/26/11 10:47 a.m.

Since he tried for Top Gear and didn't get it, I also hope that he won't follow that. I am hoping for something closer to his podcast in format.

kabel
kabel Dork
6/26/11 10:52 a.m.

I have high hoped for this show and I'm not even a big fan of Adam Carolla. Even if it is a little top-gear-like it's GOT to be better than top gear usa (is that show even still on ;-p).

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
6/26/11 11:38 a.m.

Top Gear USA isn't bad. Did you see the Alaska road trip? It was at least on par with the worst of the Top Gear UK specials.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
6/26/11 11:54 a.m.

"To say we have reservations on this one is an understatement"

Me too. I simply don't like Adam in anything I've seen him in. Maybe it's the characters he plays, but to me even his voice is annoying.

I appreciate that he's a car guy and applaud him there, just don't put him in a show about cars cause I won't watch it and to me that'd be a waste of a car show.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/26/11 11:54 a.m.
kabel wrote: it's GOT to be better than top gear usa (is that show even still on ;-p).

Kevin, I like the US version. It started rough, but he second half of the season was really good. I never knew what was going to happen, and it often made me chuckle. (...and Tanner is fast.)

TopGear UK has gotten very predictable and hence, less funny. I didn't even bother watching all of the last UK season. I can't point to a specific jump-the-shark moment, but it used to be a lot more entertaining than it is now. IMHO they peaked in series 4-10, and have been in a decline since then. The Epic Journey episodes tend to be the exception to this; they are still quite good.

kabel wrote: it's GOT to be better than top gear usa (is that show even still on ;-p).

I don't know when it starts, but there will be a second season.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
6/26/11 12:04 p.m.

I like Top Gear USA too. This was the first year and they were required to mimic the UK version, but give them time to develop their own style and chemistry and they'll make it. I sure hope the get rid of the dark haired guy.

The chunky guy has some appeal and Tanner is good.

Hey, I don't even know the names of the guys on the UK version. They have the big guy, Davey Jones and the other dork.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/26/11 12:15 p.m.

I went back and watched the first season of Top Gear UK with the current crew. Season 1 of Top Gear USA was way better.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid HalfDork
6/26/11 12:16 p.m.

FYI New Top Gear today and July 24th is the start of the new season of Top Gear America.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
6/26/11 1:04 p.m.

I respect him as a car guy, but I'd rather read about Adam Corolla than see him on TV.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
6/26/11 2:09 p.m.
Salanis wrote: I went back and watched the first season of Top Gear UK with the current crew. Season 1 of Top Gear USA was way better.

Well of course, they had an X year history to work off of. The only real complaint I have about the US version was they tried to stay too close to some skits from the UK. I understand why they did it, I just wish they'd have based it more on the UK version than tried to copy the UK version. Make sense?

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/26/11 2:18 p.m.

I enjoyed watching Top Gear USA. Not as good as the latest TG-UK, but aside from that and Dr. Who is the only show I'll actually bother to actively tune in for.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
6/26/11 5:19 p.m.

I kind of enjoyed his construction show.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
6/26/11 5:24 p.m.

I don't know if any of you guys used to listen to Loveline back in the day when Adam was on it. He made that show worth listening to. When he left, the value of the show plummeted to zero.

I haven't had any exposure to Adam's other work, so I'm unsure what he's like in a television type of role.

Having been a hardcore Adam-on-Loveline fan as a teen, I must say that I am personally looking forward to see how this works out.

Plus, you can't get much worse than Top Gear USA.

redrabbit
redrabbit New Reader
6/26/11 6:24 p.m.

I refer to NASCAR fans I work with as Rutlage.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
6/26/11 6:43 p.m.

Adam Carolla is not a fine actor, but he is the absolute master of off-the-cuff funny. You can throw anything at him and he will instantly find a way of making it laughable. Just listen to old episodes of Loveline or his radio show. There is a podcast in iTunes called G.I.O. and it is a compilation of Loveline and the Adam Carolla radio show and it's really funny. Adam spent some time with Jeremy Clarkson in the lead up to the original Top Gear USA pilot and Jezzer said he could never be as funny as Adam and that he (Jeremy) needed a script to be funny. As long as Adam is allowed to say what he wants without some non-funny producer trying to tweak it, the show will be great.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/26/11 7:36 p.m.
Taiden wrote: I haven't had any exposure to Adam's other work, so I'm unsure what he's like in a television type of role.

The man show was light hearted fun when he and Jimmy Kimmel hosted. (Mostly it was jokes about men liking beer and boobs.) After they left, the show almost seemed more misogynistic, and I stopped watching.

Taiden wrote: you can't get much worse than Top Gear USA.

Are you sure about that?

fasted58
fasted58 HalfDork
6/26/11 7:50 p.m.

I hope they have girls on trampolines

kabel
kabel Dork
6/26/11 7:55 p.m.

LOL! I would actually would watch Two Guys Garage over tg-usa

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
6/26/11 8:00 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Taiden wrote: I haven't had any exposure to Adam's other work, so I'm unsure what he's like in a television type of role.
The man show was light hearted fun when he and Jimmy Kimmel hosted. (Mostly it was jokes about men liking beer and boobs.) After they left, the show almost seemed more misogynistic, and I stopped watching.
Taiden wrote: you can't get much worse than Top Gear USA.
Are you sure about that?

2 Giys Garage is about the worst car related show on tv right now, with that one show where the 2 guys do simple work on 4X4 trucks coming in a close second.. Pinks was pretty cool when it was new, and the old guy that could fabricate anything and the younger guy that lived with Boyd but ditched him to work for Chip Foose made American Hot Rod watchable..

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
6/26/11 8:22 p.m.
kabel wrote: LOL! I would actually would watch Two Guys Garage over tg-usa

Then you, sir, have a very serious brain deformity. You may want to get that looked at.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
6/27/11 10:08 a.m.

I'm excited. I've been hoping that Adam would get a car show going after he missed out on TG US. I think he is really funny, and if left to say what he wants (obviously a bit censored for TV), the show will be great. If not I will just continue to listen to his podcasts.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QLPEr3hcsuT6Knkft6vGRYUOqsh6OoReiD9lmkk7vW2Q5oRjTqhv9HsxGg6pgXKE