1 2
DaleCarter
DaleCarter New Reader
3/20/22 12:14 a.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Totally understand. We all have our own needs/wants and I freely admit an enclosed trailer can be a PITA. I don't see it as a "specialized tool" because, in addition to it's normal role with race cars, I have moved furniture, transported disaster relief supplies for charities, camped overnight inside, even as a demo showroom for Nemesis Lab simulators. Last year, I moved my fathers furniture 300 miles, stored it in the trailer for a week or so, then another 100 to his new house, something I could not do with an open trailer.

We all have different uses, needs, wants, parking demands, tow vehicle size, etc etc... sounds like you found the best solution for you.

DaleCarter
DaleCarter New Reader
3/20/22 12:49 a.m.

I am back with a suggestion  -  make sure your trailer has a winch strong enough to drag you car onboard when the "rolling parts" have been damaged at the track. A car with damaged suspension/wheels/tires probably won't track straight as you winch it into the trailer. Wheel dollies, snatch blocks, multiple tie-down points along the length of the trailer, HEAVY ratchet straps from a trucking supply store to move the car laterally to stay on line, etc are all good ideas. A tow truck supply source can be really helpful. If your trailer has a metal deck, cutting boards or cookie sheets will help the damaged tires to slide, plus you can use them for turn-plates when checking the caster on your alignments.

When my buddies E36 snapped a lower ball joint, I used ratchet straps to tie down the wheel/tire, strut and control arm so they wouldn't shift. Then we put one of the wheel dollies from the shop under the damaged tire and dragged it onto his open trailer with a "Come-Along". Have you ever wondered how long it takes to winch a car 30' with a Come-Along? I can tell you and it's a LONG time.

When it hit the tire wall in T4 at Barber, my car had a bent tie-rod end,  leaving the left front wheel locked hard left and the right side straight. I had a winch, but no dollies or snatch blocks, and couldn't just drag it into the trailer without severely scarring those pretty, white aluminum walls :-) We spent about two hours getting the wheels somewhat straight and another hour getting it into the trailer. Track security and the HPDE promoters were not amused... something about "blah blah blah, You're STILL here, yadda yadda yadda"

If either of those had happened away from home, rather than at our local track, we would have had a problem because a lot of the gear was at my shop. If we had not been able to load up, I could have had a rollback deliver it to my shop without too much cost. If we were at Road Atlanta, VIR, Sebring, etc..... $$$$

DaleCarter
DaleCarter New Reader
3/20/22 12:56 a.m.

In reply to car39 :

Install a winch and you won't have to climb out of the car. Plus, you can still load up if the wheels/tires/suspension/steering is damaged.

I am a "larger person" and had the same problem, even with an "escape door". I feel your pain :-)

DaleCarter
DaleCarter New Reader
3/20/22 12:56 a.m.

In reply to Donebrokeit :

Well said.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ko0TwyxHfMZS7JukxKB6XY5ldUi0xLKjYMFc1xrU1iDxvpCLHKZWM6QNBSh4VCnh